Dead horse

****, only 3 games in and the excuse of "he needs to get his guys in there" has already been pulled out. Folks said the same thing about Manny, about Richt, about Golden, about Shannon. Having more playmakers than the next guy is definitely a bonus and makes things easier, but If a coach needs a team full of "their guys" to be successful then they aren't worth much as a coach. Why is it that Kevin Steele has been able to improve defensive play (even amongst Flagg and Ivey), but Gattis needs a room full of 5*s to make an impact?

In fairness, Steele has 2 5 stars getting significant reps (0 and 56). And a 3rd 5 star (right?) in Avantae in a backup role. The offense doesn't have similar talent.

Advertisement
it’s pretty simple.

We lost to a very bad team. We couldn’t muster a TD.
That was not a "very bad" team, it's a pretty good team. But very beatable. No excuse for the loss.
The issues that have plagued us for years are still there.

I’m not sure how people are encouraged by our performance. It makes zero sense going forward.
Because we did some things well that are surprising. I for one am surprised how well both lines played. Yes, the staff has been focused on it, but I'm still surprised we were able to play that well against that kind of line talent. Plus, Ivey.
-play calling was abysmal
-TVD struggled
- WRs are once again the worst position group
- special teams continue to be not special.

You cannot expect to win if you lose 2/3 phases of the game.
Yeah, all this is accurate.
Offensive coaches and special teams coaches need to get their **** together. Maybe we should have hired a dedicated STC.
Yes coaches have work to do, but I think it's mostly in the mental aspect of the game. WRs dropping balls is mental. TVD didn't suddenly start to suck. He obviously isn't working well in this system right now. It would be nice to see Gattis work in some plays that he can run well while he continues to learn the things he needs to learn. This is about whether you force the issue and wait out the bad games while you hope things click, or you try to help your QB be successful. I'm hoping Gattis will do the latter. Point is, the issues are less about play calling (with the exception of some redzone calls) and scheme than about execution.

My point here is that this is NOT the same as what we've seen. Maybe it doesn't matter, but we got the same result while doing some things we've been unable to do for a long time. In the end, what's the point of moping right now? We're 3 games into a tenure that will last at least 3 years. Other than being able to say "I told you so" if this continues, what's the point?

Advertisement
Back