DC homerun hire would be...

I don't get why folks mention Winston Moss as a DC candidate when he has never been more than a positional
coach.
What has he ever coordinated?

Ridiculous stuff.

Advertisement
I don't get why folks mention Winston Moss as a DC candidate when he has never been more than a positional
coach.

Ridiculous stuff.

15 plus years of experience coaching NFL linebackers while coaching one of the best in the league in clay Matthews. Jeremy Pruitt never had coaching experience as a dcoordinator but yet he had elite defenses every year he has coached

coach.

Ridiculous stuff.

This statement is ridiculous stuff. Just bc you want an experienced DC doesnt make the thought of making a positional coach DC ridiculous.. thats the progression. Also just bc he hasnt done it yet.. doesnt mean he cant.

coach.

Ridiculous stuff.

15 plus years of experience coaching NFL linebackers while coaching one of the best in the league in clay Matthews. Jeremy Pruitt never had coaching experience as a dcoordinator but yet he had elite defenses every year he has coached

So he coached a position for 15 years?
That earns one a promotion?

As for Pruitt.....he did have some experience as a DC.
Albeit at the HS level.
Moss has ZERO experience running a unit and he has been away from the college game for
almost 30 years.

coach.

Ridiculous stuff.

This statement is ridiculous stuff. Just bc you want an experienced DC doesnt make the thought of making a positional coach DC ridiculous.. thats the progression. Also just bc he hasnt done it yet.. doesnt mean he cant.

All true.
Let him make that progression somewhere else so we can see for ourselves if he
is a good DC.
I mean, do we really want to have this discussion again?

Advertisement
coach.

Ridiculous stuff.

The guy is 50 and is still a position coach. He either doesn't want the Coordinator position or doesn't have the tools for the step up.

coach.

Ridiculous stuff.

The guy is 50 and is still a position coach. He either doesn't want the Coordinator position or doesn't have the tools for the step up.

He's wants to be a head coach so I doubt it's that big of an issue

coach.

Ridiculous stuff.

So he's a positional coach aspiring to be a HC?
Shouldn't he hope to coordinate something first?

anyways I read Aranda is being considered for USC since they also have a DC coordinator vacancy and funny thing is that Wisconsin will play USC in idk-name bowl over the weekend and he will be on full display for Helton to see what he is capable of

Advertisement
coach.

Ridiculous stuff.

I haven't read that. (I stand corrected, he is the AHC with Green Bay so he has additional duties and was pursued by Oakland back in 2012 for the HC position) You don't go from PC to the CEO. He needs to establish he can run the complete defensive side of the ball and be successful.

Last edited:
coach.

Ridiculous stuff.

Dabo Swinney went from WR coach to Head coach... not normal circumstances but its happened.

coach.

Ridiculous stuff.

I haven't read that. (I stand corrected, he is the AHC with Green Bay so he has additional duties and was pursued by Oakland back in 2012 for the HC position) You don't go from PC to the CEO. He needs to establish he can run the complete defensive side of the ball and be successful.

I think sometimes people just get comfortable.. if your in a good organization, with a good job, good money, and job security. People turn down promotions and opportunities all the time. They understand the grass isnt always greener and dont want to deal with the stress and uncertainty. Who knows... I was suprised Moss even put his name out there recently.. tells me hes trying to grab a promotion doing something more.

Dabo Swinney went from WR coach to Head coach... not normal circumstances but its happened.

And that jump is rarely successful.

Advertisement

He has a 0% chance of it happening at any respectable school.

He has a 0% chance of it happening at any respectable school.

Thats why he needs to find a coordinator position somewhere(and why people would suggest it)... just not at UM.

I'll make this simple.

Hire Gene Chizik and let him choose the position coaches.

Except Rocker, the only defensive position coach we allegedly went after, and who coached w Chizik at auburn, is staying at UGA.

Hmmmmmm

Kills off UNC in Coastal too

Hmmmmmm

This is interesting...
Does this have any legs or is this just opinion?

Advertisement
what about Winston Moss for DC?

He reportedly wants to be a head coach, will get that soon.

Go Canes

He won't get a head coaching job anytime soon, without ever being a DC. What he wants and what he gets are two different things. Very few coaches go from a position coach to Head Coach. Especially if he isn't considered elite. Typical progression would be for him to be a DC at a high level 1st.

Although I believe we need an experience play call on Defense just because of the state of the defense at the moment...

I do believe that this guy could do a great job...based on his resume minus being a DC..

Kirk Olivadotti, LB coach for the Wash Redskins.

Still apprehensive about giving it to first time guys though in our particular situation.

I know people will bring up Barrow but I think this guy has more X/O background...and has been doing longer where as Barrow really was known for more recruiting. Plus Olivadotti has been with Richt before.

JC

Although I believe we need an experience play call on Defense just because of the state of the defense at the moment...

I do believe that this guy could do a great job...based on his resume minus being a DC..

Kirk Olivadotti, LB coach for the Wash Redskins.

Still apprehensive about giving it to first time guys though in our particular situation.

I know people will bring up Barrow but I think this guy has more X/O background...and has been doing longer where as Barrow really was known for more recruiting. Plus Olivadotti has been with Richt before.

JC

Olivadotti is an interesting name. Both father and son have connections with Richt.

what about Winston Moss for DC?

He reportedly wants to be a head coach, will get that soon.

Go Canes

He won't get a head coaching job anytime soon, without ever being a DC. What he wants and what he gets are two different things. Very few coaches go from a position coach to Head Coach. Especially if he isn't considered elite. Typical progression would be for him to be a DC at a high level 1st.

Moss has been a candidate for NFL HC jobs and interviewed a number of times. Unusual not to be a DC first but not unprecedented. Moss has been a key coach on the Packers staff since before McCarthy and good enough that Mike McCarthy retained him and named him assistant HC. He plays a pivitol role in the Packers overall game planning.

I'd be shocked if he came to Miami as DC.

He's an NFL lifer.

Advertisement
Back