DB rules - What?

I realize we had Corn Elder and GT Colbert, but it somehow looked cleaner at the beginning of the system. I’m not sure what is mentally happening out there on some of these. I also said off the board I think our DBs talk to the opponent’s sidelines more than they talk to each other.
haha their communication is wretched, which is also a taught and coached thing.

Ive seen 2 and 3 star Michigan state kids and now Pitt kids play pattern match quarters with outrageous discipline, bc they are taught properly, drilled properly, watch film properly, etc etc etc. there is no other explanation for kids not knowing what to do this often.

Advertisement
The second TD they scored that was called back was brutal.
I remember thinking about the fins last game where they had the longest third and goal touchdown in over a decade and was like watch us say hold my beer lol.

Got bailed out by a flag that had nothing to do with the play.

Advertisement
It’s not your imagination, we’re just poorly-coached on that side of the ball. Guys are out of position every week, and that soft-*** zone leaves guys open seemingly by design. Our personnel isn’t elite, but the coaches aren’t doing them any favors either.
Finally someone gets it. Baker literally concedes 1st downs as part of his strategy/philosophy. The guy is so deathly afraid of giving up the big play that he will literally play that soft zone which is basically conceding a 1st down because that's his philosophy. He wants the offense to beat itself with mistakes and self inflicted wounds. Baker is a mental case.

Shouldn't be in zone so often in the first place. Our 3rd and long zone got absolutely picked apart in the first half.

They are scared sh*tless of their slow cbs. Ivey being the main one.

Another thing i laugh about is the thought of Rumph being some hellafied cb whisperer/coach. His starting guys are clueless half the **** time. I have no idea what Blades was doing or attempting to do on his big play give up...But thats consistent where we see are corners are late to gettng set or leaveing their man open.

Ive just come to realize we are essentially running a lil more agressive No DFrio Bend but dont break defense and they are happy with that and hoping the other team messes up or gets behind the sticks.
He was talking ****...Al Blades was talking **** instead of lining up.

Advertisement
They are scared sh*tless of their slow cbs. Ivey being the main one.

Another thing i laugh about is the thought of Rumph being some hellafied cb whisperer/coach. His starting guys are clueless half the **** time. I have no idea what Blades was doing or attempting to do on his big play give up...But thats consistent where we see are corners are late to gettng set or leaveing their man open.

Ive just come to realize we are essentially running a lil more agressive No DFrio Bend but dont break defense and they are happy with that and hoping the other team messes up or gets behind the sticks.
Highlighted for truth.. Its a little more gimmicky and has seemed to been figured out more recently but its a cover 3 play back and hope they mess up along the way type defense.. If its 3rd and medium he can bring in 3 down lineman and do his fun blitzes.. With Golden players it seems like we were more aggressive in his first year but have not been able to keep up that quality of play with his recruited players for his scheme..

Highlighted for truth.. Its a little more gimmicky and has seemed to been figured out more recently but its a cover 3 play back and hope they mess up along the way type defense.. If its 3rd and medium he can bring in 3 down lineman and do his fun blitzes.. With Golden players it seems like we were more aggressive in his first year but have not been able to keep up that quality of play with his recruited players for his scheme..

If you know you know.

Its BEEN figured out int he coastal. The issue for coastal teams are qb play or if their ol is some sh*t one of our DL is gonna wreak havoc. What is even more crazy though is of all the years ...we likely have had 5 holding calls....TOTAL.
-Its just an obvious defense...pretty predictable..delazyed blitz on 3rd medium to long. Personally me as an oc would cause issues for this D. FLATS are FOREVER open..Dual threat qbs should be able to get yards as DE's fly up the field..with unathletic backers behind them. THE 3 MAN front seems to be more used with Baker though and i hate it as i dont think its been all the productive for us

It wasn't just the busted the coverage that led to the 4th quarter TD, we had ANOTHER TD that we got lucky on due to the illegal man downfield penalty where a similar miscommunication happened.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what coverage shell we were TRYING to show. Hall looked like he was in a quarters drop, but on the long TD Blades acted like we were in some sort of Cover 2 given he stopped back peddling.

Absolutely embarrassing. I have no idea how Baker sleeps at night.

banda played in college. you guys are dumb sometimes. every safety has made it to nfl except knowles and hes recruited VERY well
We have a former bartender coaching safeties, a Rumph coaching corners, and a defensive coordinator from La Tech. I think BAMA, OSU, Clemson etc... have higher standards for their Ga's. Only at UM

Advertisement
If you know you know.

Its BEEN figured out int he coastal. The issue for coastal teams are qb play or if their ol is some sh*t one of our DL is gonna wreak havoc. What is even more crazy though is of all the years ...we likely have had 5 holding calls....TOTAL.
-Its just an obvious defense...pretty predictable..delazyed blitz on 3rd medium to long. Personally me as an oc would cause issues for this D. FLATS are FOREVER open..Dual threat qbs should be able to get yards as DE's fly up the field..with unathletic backers behind them. THE 3 MAN front seems to be more used with Baker though and i hate it as i dont think its been all the productive for us
to me its like watching someone who doesnt know football playing madden and just trying to blitz every play

It wasn't just the busted the coverage that led to the 4th quarter TD, we had ANOTHER TD that we got lucky on due to the illegal man downfield penalty where a similar miscommunication happened.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what coverage shell we were TRYING to show. Hall looked like he was in a quarters drop, but on the long TD Blades acted like we were in some sort of Cover 2 given he stopped back peddling.

Absolutely embarrassing. I have no idea how Baker sleeps at night.

The Ivey one i think it was the qb breaking contain and him thinking he was the only one play side and he peaked back. Not sure what Hall was doing maybe he was watching the TE. But essentially i think BOTH were COVER 3.
I think Blades just wasnt ready to play because how much times do we eve run a cover 2?.

Advertisement
The Ivey one i think it was the qb breaking contain and him thinking he was the only one play side and he peaked back. Not sure what Hall was doing maybe he was watching the TE. But essentially i think BOTH were COVER 3.
I think Blades just wasnt ready to play because how much times do we eve run a cover 2?.

If you have deep responsibility attached to your zone, you don't backpaddle with your back to your receiver once he's even with you, so that eliminates both cover 4 and cover 3.

I don't know what to tell you , but our defense is just a disorganized mess. There were several other pass plays where the coverage was just ridiculously soft. When you factor in how bad Virginia's QB situation was is just a real indictment of Baker's thought process regardless of what shell we should have been in.

Last edited:
If you have deep responsibility on your zone, you don't backpaddle with your back to your receiver once he's even with you, so that eliminates both cover 4 and cover 3.

I don't know what to tell you , but our defense is just a disorganized mess. There were several other pass plays where the coverage was just ridiculously soft. When you factor in how bad Virginia's QB situation was is just a real indictment of Baker's thought process regardless of what shell we should have been in.
Of all the things discussed on here today, I think Harley’s ‘Bare minimum’ quote must apply to the DB room. It’s the primary thing I can think of to explain some of these ‘brain farts’ during the game. Still can’t believe some of those plays. 3rd and goal from 6 miles a way and Ivey steps UP to a QB run and leaves a WR sitting alone in the end zone?

Of all the things discussed on here today, I think Harley’s ‘Bare minimum’ quote must apply to the DB room. It’s the primary thing I can think of to explain some of these ‘brain farts’ during the game. Still can’t believe some of those plays. 3rd and goal from 6 miles a way and Ivey steps UP to a QB run and leaves a WR sitting alone in the end zone?

Two things I'd like to hear your take one

1) In your opinion, and given Virginia's QB situation coming into the game, wouldn't a simple man under 2 deep look have been a much better gameplan against a team that quite simply, was only going to pass when it had to?

2) On that specific play you mentioned, even BEFORE the QB stepped up and was a threat to run Ivey had stopped his backpeddle and had ALREADY released his WR behind him. Hall doesn't look like a safety who is fanning out in cover 2 responsibility meanwhile Ivey doesn't look like a corner who is worried about having deep responsibility....

So WTF????? What am I missing???

Two things I'd like to hear your take one

1) In your opinion, and given Virginia's QB situation coming into the game, wouldn't a simple man under 2 deep look have been a much better gameplan against a team that quite simply, was only going to pass when it had to?

2) On that specific play you mentioned, even BEFORE the QB stepped up and was a threat to run Ivey had stopped his backpeddle and had ALREADY released his WR behind him. Hall doesn't look like a safety who is fanning out in cover 2 responsibility meanwhile Ivey doesn't look like a corner who is worried about having deep responsibility....

So WTF????? What am I missing???
1) I have no clue what we even planned. If their 6' 7" WR played yesterday, maybe we would have given a ****?
2) It's incredibly poor situational awareness - which is a theme on the team, it seems. Why overreact to a QB so far away from doing damage? Even if you do, there's no reasonable expectation a Safety would be over the top of you when you're at the cot**** goal line.

I'm guessing the players would explain there were some lapses. The coaches would explain we have to execute better. Yet, each and every week, we are "surprised by something they didn't put on film." Well, perhaps it's time to anticipate a team will, who knows, alter their plan?

Advertisement
Back