- 14th in Passing Offense
- 12th in Completion %
- 11th in Passing efficiency
- 17th in Time of possession
- 22nd in Sacks allowed
- 27th in Rushing Offense
- 28th in 3rd down conversion
- 34th in First downs
People will ***** about anything. It's mindblowing.

Advertisement
Anyone who’s watched a tiny bit of football could predict we’d be better on offense than last year.

I think Dawson’s output has turned out to be better than expected so far, but unfortunately, like with the analysis of TVD, we’re in the position to need a savior. I don’t think Dawson or TVD can overcome a handful of current limitations to our overall team/program.

And, it’s impossible to know if Dawson is the person insisting on some of the head-scratching stuff we saw against GT and the ‘too little too late’ approach to going 4WR against UNC.

As for how he can help TVD, I’d say we need to focus on scheming our zone busters and perhaps increase pace to make TVD more comfortable.

I could have lived with 5-1 so long as the GT game didn’t flash multiple root cause flaws I fear we’ll repeat.

I think his prep and adjustments to GT’s defense were a problem. I think he did a pretty nice job all things considered against UNC - had Parrish’s brutal fumble at the goal line been a TD, he puts 24 points up in the first half. Then, the second half had two horrific turnovers that aren’t coordinator related. Not because of the result, but I’ve been asking for more speed in the slot and that came in relative garbage time.

Is he 2 steps ahead? Doesn’t seem like it to me. But, we’re not in the coaching or strategy (do we have these?) meetings, so we can’t know what the overall philosophy is right now.

I maintain that, if we really want to help our improved OL win more matchups, we should do that by emptying defensive boxes via formation, motion, and personnel. Is Dawson choosing to not prioritize that or is there a ‘we want to establish the run first’ order?

Let’s hope we can maintain something near 7 yards per play while improving our 3rd down conversions. To salvage the season, I think we’re gonna need to win a couple more games off of pure offense.

Advertisement
I think dawson is good there’s a few things he can tweak to have us more consistent, ive been saying since the off season we need some game changers at the skill position.

Can only go so long where your qb has to thread the needle or your wrs have to be schemed open vs man to man.

We need upgrades at wr and rb, we keep getting solid players like colbie young, while our direct competition get nat mccollum’s & tez walker, johnny wilson & keon coleman.

Dawson looks a lot better if our very experienced RB doesn’t fumble as he falls into the endzone, if our #1 center in the country doesn’t botch a snap, and then if our multi-year starting QB actually sees a backer dropping into a zone in front of our WR on a simple concept.

All 3 of the turnovers came on first downs on simple calls. Not like he was trying to run a triple reverse halfback pass. Execute the ******* plays like any coach would expect his players to do and the offense looks pretty decent.

Advertisement
Dawson looks a lot better if our very experienced RB doesn’t fumble as he falls into the endzone, if our #1 center in the country doesn’t botch a snap, and then if our multi-year starting QB actually sees a backer dropping into a zone in front of our WR on a simple concept.

All 3 of the turnovers came on first downs on simple calls. Not like he was trying to run a triple reverse halfback pass. Execute the ******* plays like any coach would expect his players to do and the offense looks pretty decent.
I don't think he's been bad. we lack creativity sure but overall as I said, he's been okay. some ups some downs. now he's gotta adjust as defenses have smoked out the offense since conf play began. he's still a huge upgrade over last year and I don't actually think the O has been an issue this year aside from turnovers but we've been doing that since week 1. its a common occurrence w this team.

I really liked what we saw against TA&M. It looked like we had an actual plan. Since then, it's just felt like we've had no plan and the other team has been able to dictate. UNC seemed to drop 7 or 8 and there was no response. Against GT, maybe it was arrogance, but it felt like we spread all our cards on the table and assumed that we could tell the other side what we were going to do and do it, simply because we believed we were better.

Our QB locks onto the same receiver every time he drops back to pass. He's immobile and can't read a defense. Gattis is having at least some measure of success at Maryland so perhaps TVD is the issue and not the OC? We crown Lashlee but it's not like Tyler was known commodity yet when he took over for King two years ago. Most have figured him out at this point.

Oh, and how about the lack of juice in the RB room? Do Parrish or Chaney ever make a defender miss?

Would love to see this offense with our current OL and WR core with more dynamic QB and RB play. Until then, it's always going to be piecemeal.

Advertisement
Overall, we have a good, not great team. Most of the complaints can be boiled down to that simple fact. Dawson is good, flawed but good; TVD is good, flawed but good (btw, comparing him to Rosier is laughable); our overall talent is good, flawed...you get the point. After a loss ,or a couple of losses, those flaws are magnified, dissected, and highlighted to the point that they completely overshadow any and every good attribute/play.

I’m not giving anyone a pass.

Our safeties let 9 go over the top twice and run pass them a third time. Our front seven gave up almost 200 to one back with 3/4th after contact. Very poor tackling and effort. Better strap up for Clemson on both will go for 200.

Our offense gave the ball up 4 times after giving it up 5 against GT. We didn’t play with tempo when we needed three scores. One thing I don’t like, most of the routes to beat the zone are coming back to the QB giving us less YAC opportunities. Have we hit a seam route (Cam vs atm)? Have we hit a RB on a wheel? Have we run motion with a wheel lately?

Our special teams failed to get the onside kick even when the kid fumbled. Then you see CSU recover two in one night for a win. Add in K Smith’s penalty on special teams.

Let’s just stick to the facts:

- 7th in Total Offense
- 13th in points per game (37.7)
- 14th in Passing Offense
- 12th in Completion %
- 11th in Passing efficiency
- 17th in Time of possession
- 22nd in Sacks allowed
- 27th in Rushing Offense
- 28th in 3rd down conversion
- 34th in First downs

A fanbase is going to cry and point fingers after a loss, no matter if they're warranted or not. But facts are facts.

It's also just so ******* infuriating how snakebitten this team is, and while I will say that often a team takes the personality of its coach (penalties/dumb decisions being the talking point here), how the god**** football bounces is NOT indicative of a coach.

Rueben Bain screams around the edge, flat ***-whips the LT, blows up Maye in his own endzone, and an OL out for a leisurely Sunday stroll just scoops up the ball and meanders out of the endzone and all is well. Business as usual.

Matt Lee has been the literal #1 center in America per PFF, he makes ONE bad snap, it's not even THAT bad, ball bounces off TVDs hand, he tries to cover it, ball is kicked, goes right to UNC. This team just cannot catch a break, it seems like ever.

But back to Dawson, the last drive before the half was very good, and while I thought we should have gotten the ball into the endzone for a shot at a TD, we kick a FG to go up 17-14, on the road in a hostile environment at night against an undefeated team. We come out of the half, and Tez Walker puts Jaden Davis into the broiler, and it's 21-17. No worries, offense is playing well, go answer the score. We get the ball, run for 3, pass for 8 for a first down, pass for 9, GREAT call on 2nd an 1 from near midfield with a quick flea-flicker, George is wide open, a better throw probably gets 20+ if not more but OK it's a gain of 14 and we are rolling at their 40 yard line. Bad snap, ****** bounce, completely unforced turnover. ****. But guess what? The defense bails us out! We get a stop, and take over at our own 14. OK, whew. We're good. Nope....1st down throw, TVD never sees Ced Gray dropping underneath the curl route, and of course as a 245 lb linebacker catches a ball well over his head with the talent that would've made the 2022 Miami Wide Receiver room drop their panties. Because of course he does. And now the game is over. Turnovers on back to back plays, ON FIRST DOWN, neither of which are the fault of the OC. Add that to the fact that your most experienced back fumbles, AGAIN ON FIRST DOWN, as he's literally falling into the endzone....and we just refuse to ever do anything or get any breaks that make any kind of sense.

Dawson has been fine. The fact that some of you watched last season and aren't blown away by the improvement is kind of terrifying, but this is CIS, after all. Can he be better? Yes. The GT game was very puzzling, for sure. But we are basically in the top third of the country in every single offensive metric at the halfway point and have played ball well enough to be 5-1. Now go score 27+ against Clemson and win and shut some people up.

Advertisement
The apparent change in running scheme is puzzling to me. We went from a dynamic running attack that uses counters, splitback fields with 2 RBs, jet sweep, etc to lashlee HB dives all game long. Weird ****.
This is what gets me.

To my untrained eye something has changed after the bye. The few times we did run “outside” the other night were successful (selective memory or confirmation bias maybe?).

This is what gets me.

To my untrained eye something has changed after the bye. The few times we did run “outside” the other night were successful (selective memory or confirmation bias maybe?).

Same. In the passing game, it's easier to see/understand why certain things aren't going there anymore...QB is not seeing the field well, he's injured, his reads got simpler, defense is doubling up X, etc. But, for the running game, moving away from counters, split backfields, jet sweeps, motion, etc, is not necessarily contingent on those other things. I dunno man, I don't get it.

Someone give me a rankings of our o coordinators since Golden. I assume Lashlee is #1 and Gatass is last lol

Advertisement
Back