Dawson

Advertisement
Our QB threw for nearly 400 yards last night. It was 508-482 in total yards and we essentially scored 38 points if you count the Parrish fumble on the goal line. Blame the D if you want to point at any particular one unit but we produced enough last night to have a chance to win.

We did. I feel like for so many years, it was 3 and outs that was the main issue on offense. Now, it seems that ball security has become a huge problem, whether it's a back fumbling, or TVD throwing picks because he's locking on to Restrepo.

The turnovers last night were almost impossible to overcome, against a better team.

Most of that was in the second half
It was, but that makes it worse imo. We wilted against one of the poorer OL units in the ACC. Their RB is a unit, a physical and punishing runner…but their OL is pure garbage. They enforced their will upon us in the last 20 when all we had to do was stop the run and pin our ears back on obvious passing downs. They couldn’t pass block us to save their lives.

We need some bigger bodies up there (especially interior wise), better playmakers as well as more speed at linebacker.

Advertisement
What is everyone’s assessment of Dawson half way through the season, his improved the offense but I wasn’t a fan of the hire originally still not a fan for the hire would like to see him mix the tempo up no change up to keep the defense on there toes.
I do like Dawson I do see things I like but an OC is never going to say this kid ****ed up. I do like what I see besides the TE bs but who knows who that is on. He’s not going to say yo TVD doesn’t throw it….TVD is going to say UNC did a good job. That’s media bs speak and that’s why most fans destroy the coaches a lot. I do like what I see with what we have. Guys we never thought to get YAC and catches are getting opportunities and doing better than last year.

I'm certainly still in Dawson's corner as a supporter. That said, we have seen some chinks in the armor (my apologies to any Chinese UM fans) of his system.

My biggest concern is his overly simplistic running game and lack of use of the tight ends. IF Arroyo is 100% healthy then there is no reason not to be targeting him. I was nearly field level for a few games last season before Arroyo got injured. He was a true freshman yet he stood out among D1 top 20 athletes both physically and athletically.

Y’all are lost in the weeds and missing the big picture.

Last week Mario said he should have stepped in and said take a knee - implying/suggesting that Dawson made the decision to run a play with the game over last week.

If - as has been suggested by a pretty reliable poster - Mario was involved in the decision to run rather than kneel… Dawson is in an impossible position.

Is Dawson running the show on offense? Or is he being “managed”?

Who is making personnel decisions - is it Mario or Dawson?

I don’t know how you evaluate Dawson when you don’t know how he is being “managed”.

Advertisement
Guidry game planned fine for UNC. Our DB's are trash
This is true, but a good coordinator should know his own personnel and his opponent and not leave them 1 on 1 against guys they can't cover. In the first half the D was generally good. But in the second half, Guidry had no answer for what their OC was doing to them, on the ground and through the air. We'll know more what Guidry is after Clemson, FSU, and Louisville.

Advertisement
I think he's pretty good but would help himself a lot if he self-scouted a bit more and anticipated how teams would likely counter his playbook.

I would give him a C+ grade so far. As others have already noted, the lack of use of the TE in the passing game is glaring. Are they just not part of our route concepts, or is TVD not targeting them?

I’m seeing too many passing plays with multiple receivers in the same area. This was an issue with Gattis last year as well, which makes me wonder if Mario is meddling in the offense.

And our running game has regressed. We’re back to running the ball into the guard’s *** every first down. It’s the one thing most of us didn’t like about Lashlee’s offense. Why have we stopped trying to run outside of the tackle box? There’s no creativity in this offense since the a&m game.

Also, in the last 2 games the defense is frequently putting 5 in the box and taking away the deep threat, yet TVD is still trying to force it deep. Do we not have any RPO’s in this offense? Can we not check down to a running play in these situations?

Advertisement
Let’s just stick to the facts:

- 7th in Total Offense
- 13th in points per game (37.7)
- 14th in Passing Offense
- 12th in Completion %
- 11th in Passing efficiency
- 17th in Time of possession
- 22nd in Sacks allowed
- 27th in Rushing Offense
- 28th in 3rd down conversion
- 34th in First downs

Dawson has been fine.

Few things I think he can improve:

1. Run creativity. More sweeps, counters, oline pulling and trapping, etc. Its been a very vanilla run game, much like lashlee.

2. More bombs to speed guys. That bomb to Breshard in desperation time. We need that mixed in routinely. Bombs to Smith, Harrell, Ray Ray, George. Get speed vertical.

3. Incorporate the TE more. This one is obvious.

Advertisement
Back