Davonte Brown Update

You have alread
You have already made it known on other threads sheesh.
No I didn't, I never once said I liked Delancy more than Brown. I've said that I didn't believe Brown was a take initially & that I felt we should've offered Delancy much earlier than we did, but I've never explicitly said one was better than the other.

I like both & would take both as of now due to the circumstances, but I've always wanted us to get an experienced JUCO to accompany any CB we take in this class because none of the Corners we have in this class will be ready to contribute day 1.

Advertisement
No I didn't, I never once said I liked Delancy more than Brown. I've said that I didn't believe Brown was a take initially & that I felt we should've offered Delancy much earlier than we did, but I've never explicitly said one was better than the other.

I like both & would take both as of now due to the circumstances, but I've always wanted us to get an experienced JUCO to accompany any CB we take in this class because none of the Corners we have in this class will be ready to contribute day 1.

So which one do you like better?

Juco is the same thing tho. You never know what you gone get from those guys. Me personally i would rather roll with one of the young guys or a grad transfer.
Not really, I think yall just don't like JUCO CB's because Jhavonte Dean wasn't as good as advertised.

But every major program recruits JUCO CB's, Bama, Auburn, TAMU, Oklahoma, UGA & even Oh St has taken JUCO CB's over the last 2 classes. It's all about scouting the right prospect, just because a player is in JUCO doesn't mean he sucks or can't play. There's a shít ton of guys in the league who were JUCO players.

Young guys have growing pains & unless they start as TF's it takes them quite a while to get completely adjusted to playing in this Defense. Bandy & Malek Young excelled as TF's because they weren't asked to start right away but came in as Nickel cover guys & were able to maturate into the system.

I'm just telling yall Ivey's issues aren't solvable in an offseason, he's just too slow & lacks the technique to truly be an effective CB in our system, he's a Cover 3 off coverage Zone type CB, but in our system you have to be great at one on one Press cover man & he simply can't do it.

Blades has very good promise & upside, so does Couch & Williams, but we need depth & experience, we only have 5 CB's & one of'em is a huge liability in coverage. We need an experienced CB with speed & ball skills.

Will be learning on the job having played sparingly & primarily on ST's.

We need a veteran Corner with real game experience. Couch & Williams are two good promising kids but they don't have the experience.

We're in trouble if we're expecting Ivey to hold down his side of the field for the entirety of the season next year.
I disagree. We have Bandy, Ivey, Blades, and those two young guns. Feels like a pretty deep group assuming everyone takes a small step or two.

Not really, I think yall just don't like JUCO CB's because Jhavonte Dean wasn't as good as advertised.

But every major program recruits JUCO CB's, Bama, Auburn, TAMU, Oklahoma, UGA & even Oh St has taken JUCO CB's over the last 2 classes. It's all about scouting the right prospect, just because a player is in JUCO doesn't mean he sucks or can't play. There's a shít ton of guys in the league who were JUCO players.

Young guys have growing pains & unless they start as TF's it takes them quite a while to get completely adjusted to playing in this Defense. Bandy & Malek Young excelled as TF's because they weren't asked to start right away but came in as Nickel cover guys & were able to maturate into the system.

I'm just telling yall Ivey's issues aren't solvable in an offseason, he's just too slow & lacks the technique to truly be an effective CB in our system, he's a Cover 3 off coverage Zone type CB, but in our system you have to be great at one on one Press cover man & he simply can't do it.

Blades has very good promise & upside, so does Couch & Williams, but we need depth & experience, we only have 5 CB's & one of'em is a huge liability in coverage. We need an experienced CB with speed & ball skills.
I agree but how many of these guys are there out there? Most will just go pro... maybe I'm wrong.

Advertisement
I like them both for different reasons. They both have different things they do well & both have deficiencies in their game.

I don't like either better than the other, I would take both, but I don't think we want both.

LOL. Well ****, ill say it then..if Delancy is indeed 5'11-6'0 180 like the report have said and he is a track kid (I think that's what I heard)..I like him more than DBrown.

I am not a big fan of DBrown. If you were going to end up taking him..might as well have kept Hodges. JMO.

Nah i dont care for juco players regardless of position unless they were guys that just couldn't cut it with their grades.

And those schools took some guys who were actual big time recruits out of hs. Bama took smith who was a 5 star, osu took sheffield who was a 5 star, a&m took blades who was a 4 star.

It will have to be one of the young guys stepping up or a grad transfer. With 5 spots left i dont see them adding a juco cb.

LOL. Well ****, ill say it then..if Delancy is indeed 5'11-6'0 180 like the report have said and he is a track kid (I think that's what I heard)..I like him more than DBrown.

I am not a big fan of DBrown. If you were going to end up taking him..might as well have kept Hodges. JMO.
Delancy has more speed & better ball skills than Brown, but Brown is physically bigger & has naturally better technique.

Brown's lower body & lack of fluidity in his hips is concerning to me & why I didn't feel he was a take at first, but as a developmental prospect he could be good down the line a few years.

Delancy is def not 180lbs, he's in the 170 range but he can continue to get bigger with time in the S&C.

I 100% would've kept Hodges, I'm a huge huge fan of his game, I think his upside is sky high, he has natural ability you can't teach, rankings be damned he's gonna be a **** of a Corner at the next level.

But due to the fact we only have 1 CB in this class & are in dire need of some players, I would take both Brown & Delancy, whichever one commits first. That's where I'm at with it.

Delancy has more speed & better ball skills than Brown, but Brown is physically bigger & has naturally better technique.

Brown's lower body & lack of fluidity in his hips is concerning to me & why I didn't feel he was a take at first, but as a developmental prospect he could be good down the line a few years.

Delancy is def not 180lbs, he's in the 170 range but he can continue to get bigger with time in the S&C.

I 100% would've kept Hodges, I'm a huge huge fan of his game, I think his upside is sky high, he has natural ability you can't teach, rankings be damned he's gonna be a **** of a Corner at the next level.

But due to the fact we only have 1 CB in this class & are in dire need of some players, I would take both Brown & Delancy, whichever one commits first. That's where I'm at with it.

I prefer Delancy

Advertisement
1576180816631.png

I disagree. We have Bandy, Ivey, Blades, and those two young guns. Feels like a pretty deep group assuming everyone takes a small step or two.

A. that's an average group, "small steps" would make it slightly above average.
B. 5 isn't "deep"

Advertisement
Bandy in 2018 was one of the best cover corners in football.
Blades in 2019 was one of the best cover corners in football.

Ivey is a depth player who shouldn't be starting. Bandy should be playing nickel whenever possible and never isolated on the outside. Miami needs 1 starting calibre corner. I wouldn't call them deep at this spot but I also wouldn't call them average.

Trajan Bandy isn't a top 10 corner he's a nice player who should be playing inside...He and all our corners are helped out because there were some brutal offenses in the ACC this year. Also, he gave up some unforgivable plays this year...(UNC, VT).

Ya I like Blades, hopefully he continues to improve. He is not one of the best cover corners in CFB...Again he didn't play many QB/passing attacks with a pulse

Also you said "DJ Ivey shouldn't be starting"...Yes it's the CB coach decision to start him, and it's the CB coach (who has been here for what 4 years now?) that there isn't someone better than him bc he can't recruit to save his life.

Stop exaggerating with that "best in football"...you are dead wrong and overmatched in your stupid little arguement.

Yeah I'm blocking you for you're inability to read or click on links. Tootles.

Not worried about your little links...I told you why they don't hold weight. Adjust for schedule strength you idiot.

I like Bandy and will always root for him...You take Bandy, I'll take those LSU corners. Thanks. Also, you named 2 kids. Outta what should be 7-8 corners

Last edited:
Advertisement
Trajan Bandy isn't a top 10 corner he's a nice player who should be playing inside...He and all our corners are helped out because there were some brutal offenses in the ACC this year. Also, he gave up some unforgivable plays this year...(UNC, VT).

Ya I like Blades, hopefully he continues to improve. He is not one of the best cover corners in CFB...Again he didn't play many QB/passing attacks with a pulse

Also you said "DJ Ivey shouldn't be starting"...Yes it's the CB coach decision to start him, and it's the CB coach (who has been here for what 4 years now?) that there isn't someone better than him bc he can't recruit to save his life.

Stop exaggerating with that "best in football"...you are dead wrong and overmatched in your stupid little arguement.

This. It's exasperating to read the praise of the performance of the secondary when we went against garbage most of the year.

Advertisement
Back