David Lake's 247 article on OC options that Mario should consider.

Some NFL options that would be interesting

Chiefs QB Coach Mike Kafka
Texans QB Coach Pep Hamilton
Luke Getsy Packers QB Coach
Steelers OC Matt Canada
If we get Kafka or Getsy build Mario a statue right now

Canada is solid too, lot of people get stuff from him, idk the other guy

Advertisement
Interesting list. Couple of hard NOs. A couple of guys I’d welcome with open arms. A couple of interesting suggestions that I hadn’t thought of yet. I just hope they get this hire right

There are some names on that list that are so bad it would cause me to worry about the next 10 years under Mario.

But most of the names on the list would be great hires.

Update on the OC from David Lake:

“ Here are some quick VIP notes I wanted to pass along…

- Mario Cristobal’s search for an offensive coordinator is ongoing and I wanted to pass along a name that continues to get floated by me from many sources: Arkansas offensive coordinator Kendal Briles. I’m told that Briles has interest in UM because of the talent that exists on the roster and he is confident he can orchestrate a productive attack with that talent. Quarterback Tyler Van Dyke will enter 2022 as one of the best quarterbacks in the country, but Briles also has pretty strong relationships with the projected back-ups, Jake Garcia and Jacurri Brown (which could help keep the quarterback room intact in this transfer portal era). This time last year, Garcia nearly picked Arkansas over Miami in the recruiting process and it was Briles that led that charge for the Razorbacks. Briles also made a late run at Brown recently at the end of this 2022 recruiting cycle. Briles is also aware that former offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee got his first head coaching opportunity at SMU after a successful stint at Miami. I’m told that Cristobal likes the balanced attack that Briles’ offense produces between the pass and the run. On paper, it is a fit that makes a lot of sense on both sides. Briles has coordinated productive offenses wherever he has coached.

- ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that former Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Joe Brady is receiving plenty of interest from NFL teams and that his preference is to stay at that level. I can pass along that I have independently been told that Brady prefers to stay in the NFL. He did speak with Mario Cristobal as a courtesy.”

I'm assuming we won't get coordinator hires until after early signing day. Mario is too busy visiting every recruit in America and isn't bogged down by coordinator questions because he can just sell himself to recruits.

Sucks cause I couldn't be bothered to follow recruiting in the meantime.

Advertisement
I assumed that Briles would be the priority when I read what Jacurri said about McClendon yesterday. The recruits seem to know he’s coming and he’s apparently talked to Coleman so that kind of pushed me away permanently from Brady.

Advertisement
Back