David Lake's 247 article on OC options that Mario should consider.

You do realize tons of schools have Money right, just because were catching up in the arms race doesn't mean we can just go out and hire any OC we want
I was going to say the exact same thing as you but I think Jedi is right.

IMO.. if we ‘miss’ on our OC hire it’s because the bar was set too low. We should be able to pay almost what anyone else will ($2-2.5M) and playing into our favor is the returning offense, TVD, and the fact that Mario has propelled how many coordinators into HC roles? 4 at Oregon alone in 4 years not to mention his count at FIU.

We should be able to attract the best of the best if they’re looking to move into a HC job in the next few years.

There might be some G5 HCs in play or FCS HCs that aren’t on anyone’s radar just for the purpose of propelling their name to the next level.

Advertisement
You think Mario gives him an interview for the OC position?

I've read on here I think that he was huge for the development of the offense over the season and I'm sure he would integrate some of Lashlee's concepts.
His stints as OC weren't exactly impressive.

Can’t believe I’m putting this on a public board, AND NOT FOR US NOW, but I’m excited to see what Likens can do if he ever gets an OC gig. He’s a really smart and good guy. He’s got a good football mind. I know it’s a role he will one day get and I for one am a fan. Kids really like and trust him. One day he might be in a thread like this as a “Miami guy”. fwiw

I believe there is 6-8 years of tape of him being an OC, no?

Advertisement
I believe there is 6-8 years of tape of him being an OC, no?
I put in the next response that’s he’s been one before. He was an OC for only a few years at Kansas, I believe. He wasn’t overly successful. He was a passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the other years you’re referring to I believe. I know him and Lashlee are close and game planned together. I’d love to see his game now. I’m watching Stanley Tucci’s* food show, so if I try and Google it, I’ll get killed by my wife. It’s what I’m remembering right now, but I could be wrong.

Robert Anae had an excellent offense this year. I don't know his history or what he would run here with our personel however. Why do you dislike him?

Phil Longo would be an excellent choice.

Warren Ruggiero is an intriguing name.

Jeff Grimes is worth a look imo.

I know nothing about Sowder. Why is he so bad?

Give me Chud as an analyst any day.

Dorsey would be interesting but no OC experience.

Kendall Briles would be an excellent choice.
Sowder isn’t bad. He’s just green. We have no idea if he even can recruit at a higher level either. Anae is just meh. There’s better names out there.

Advertisement
The Kent State OC would be interesting if we can't get some of the P5 targets.

I was going to say the exact same thing as you but I think Jedi is right.

IMO.. if we ‘miss’ on our OC hire it’s because the bar was set too low. We should be able to pay almost what anyone else will ($2-2.5M) and playing into our favor is the returning offense, TVD, and the fact that Mario has propelled how many coordinators into HC roles? 4 at Oregon alone in 4 years not to mention his count at FIU.

We should be able to attract the best of the best if they’re looking to move into a HC job in the next few years.

There might be some G5 HCs in play or FCS HCs that aren’t on anyone’s radar just for the purpose of propelling their name to the next level.
Idk, yes we're spending money now but how do coaches view us? Will a G5 HC or Proven Top 15 OC be willing to drop everything and come be a OC for us after going 7-5 this season?

You do realize tons of schools have Money right, just because were catching up in the arms race doesn't mean we can just go out and hire any OC we want
You do realize tons of schools don’t have a HC the caliber of Mario correct ? His #1 trait is the ability to sell and recruit, which includes the ability to convince and attract top coaching talent . Sorry , no built in excuses any longer. It’s go time

I put in the next response that’s he’s been one before. He was an OC for only a few years at Kansas, I believe. He wasn’t overly successful. He was a passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the other years you’re referring to I believe. I know him and Lashlee are close and game planned together. I’d love to see his game now. I’m watching Stanley Tucci’s* food show, so if I try and Google it, I’ll get killed by my wife. It’s what I’m remembering right now, but I could be wrong.

ASU in 2018/19 under Herm Edwards too. And some smaller schools on the way up going back. Not including PGC @ Cal.

I'm with you though. I think 2022 Rob Likens, who also coached under Briles, and now Lashlee, and is certainly a good, smart coach, and is a guy I'd keep an eye on.

Advertisement
You do realize tons of schools don’t have a HC the caliber of Mario correct ? His #1 trait is the ability to sell and recruit, which includes the ability to convince and attract top coaching talent . Sorry , no built in excuses any longer. It’s go time
Mario OCs at Oregon we're Joe Moorehead and Marcus Arroyo. It's not like he was going out and picking whatever OC be wanted

Warren Ruggiero or Kendal Briles would both come here. Throwing out some of the names in Lake's thread is really stupid. Don't overthink this. Make a competent hire.

I like Graham Harrell, but not for our current QB room.

Phil Longo would work with TVD. I know little about his recruiting.

Advertisement
Warren Ruggiero or Kendal Briles would both come here. Throwing out some of the names in Lake's thread is really stupid. Don't overthink this. Make a competent hire.

He helped flip Sam Howell from FSU in 2019 when he was hired:

"Mack Brown's new offensive coordinator, Phil Longo, had recruited Howell when Longo was coaching at Ole Miss, so there was already a relationship between the two. That level of comfort helped Brown in his pursuit, and it sealed the deal when Brown was able to get in front of Howell and his family in person."

He definitely got 4-star (over a 90 rating and #260 player) Jacolby Criswell the next year too, which was quite a feat since Sam was a starter as a true freshman. And in this past class he signed an absolute stud, Drake Maye, who was ranked right there with Garcia. Drake was the #56 player in the country, and has first round potential.

Oh, he also landed Matt Corral while at Ole Miss.

I think it's fair to say, he'd a f'ing stud QB recruiter.

ASU in 2018/19 under Herm Edwards too. And some smaller schools on the way up going back. Not including PGC @ Cal.

I'm with you though. I think 2022 Rob Likens, who also coached under Briles, and now Lashlee, and is certainly a good, smart coach, and is a guy I'd keep an eye on.
And he learned under Leach and Dykes form what I recall. They all used to get together and brain storm etc.

We don't need a recruiter at OC or DC if we have a HC who is a whiz recruiter a staff of position coach recruiters. We need the coordinators to be great X's and O's coaches.

Advertisement
Back