David Lake's 247 article on OC options that Mario should consider.

Advertisement
David Lake mentioned Phil Longo. Is there actual smoke with him and Miami, or just throwing his name out there? I would be all-in for that. His last 4 years at UNC and Ole Miss have been some of the best offenses in CFB, also runs a balanced offense that Mario would want. Longo + TVD would be explosive. Even though UNC has beat us the past 3 years, Miami would be a step up for Longo and now we could give him a big raise over his current $900k salary. I’d be excited for this.
Would be a good pickup and it would be nice to see some counters and misdirection runs. They prison raped us with that up and down the field last year.

Advertisement
Would you all stop with the Mullen crap? There is a reason Miami threw him out the door after five minute when we interviewed him way back. He's a weirdo. There is a reason he was dumped with prejudice at UF. There is a reason no legitimate outlet or insider here has mentioned him for OC here, even once.

He's an arrogant, goofy, lazy, bad recruiting guy who is a bad evaluator of QB's. He wasn't even going to play Trask but Frenks got hurt and forced his hand. You all really think that he's a good fit with "relentless, all-in" Mario? WOW. You are not paying attention.

We're in the season right now, we'll do recruiting after the season – when it gets to recruiting time we can talk about recruiting." - Dan Mullen
Yeeessss...I thought I was the only one saying this...Mullet is a pass...big time

You seem to be unimpressed by a lot of things related to our program so who would you hire with all of our 'F U' money?

If it were up to me, I’d call Kevin Wilson and tell him to name his price. That is who I’d hire lol.

Have gone over this a million times but, I’d love Briles. I know it won’t happen but I’d love Mullen. I’d be okay with Brady as well and there are several more names that I think are more fitting for the “we have money now” narrative than a guy who hasn’t been an OC since 2018. Jeff Grimes is a little run heavy for me, but I wouldn’t hate it. Ruggiero would do great here IMO. Again, there are several candidates out there. I just wouldn’t be impressed with Tee Martin. Shoot me, idc. He is a bigger name than actual substance. JMO

No briles
We need to finally spend and get an oc that schemes against each opponents weakness
We don’t need another guy who’s only scheme is to go fast
That’s the difference between bama and uga besides the qbs, O’Brien had a great game plan to neutralize their strengths
Even if we have to wait we need to go the nfl route

Advertisement
That list has some really bad options on it, relative to what we're willing to pay.

If that's list, give me Briles. Anything other than him would be very disappointing.
It's not as simple as going to pick out the best OC and pay him. Most of the top play callers are happy we're they are at and don't want to leave or are HCs.

Some NFL options that would be interesting

Chiefs QB Coach Mike Kafka
Texans QB Coach Pep Hamilton
Luke Getsy Packers QB Coach
Steelers OC Matt Canada

Advertisement
It's an expansive article about 12 different guys. Of course a couple won't make sense or be to your liking. They even pivot to Chud as an analyst if you read it. You should have kept reading, there are a few sleeper names in there with knowing.

Thx for posting OP.

amazing how people who have no real means to evaluate staff, can give a blanket opinion on someone's bona fides.

chud is VERY well respected in football circles, is highly thought of by Mario, and is a good teacher of QB's.

will be he hired as UM's OC? probably not, (for a couple of reasons) but that doesn't take away his ability to add value to the team.

It’s gets worse

Robert Anae

Ponce

Ken Sowder from Kent State

Like c’mon
Robert Anae had an excellent offense this year. I don't know his history or what he would run here with our personel however. Why do you dislike him?

Phil Longo would be an excellent choice.

Warren Ruggiero is an intriguing name.

Jeff Grimes is worth a look imo.

I know nothing about Sowder. Why is he so bad?

Give me Chud as an analyst any day.

Dorsey would be interesting but no OC experience.

Kendall Briles would be an excellent choice.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Robert Anae had an excellent offense this year. I don't know his history or what he would run here with our personel however. Why do you dislike him?

Phil Lingo would be an excellent choice.

Warren Ruggiero is an intriguing name.

Jeff Grimes is worth a look imo.

I know nothing about Sowder. Why is he so bad?

Give me Chud as an analyst any day.

Dorsey would be interesting but no OC experience.

Kendall Briles would be an excellent choice.

Phil Lingo, Sagittarius, owns three Tim Horton franchises in suburban Manitoba. He tries to keep his head above water since the moose incident.

Phil Longo, UNC OC, is an interesting name for coordinator at UM.

Happy Hour Drinking GIF by Barstool Sports

Can’t believe I’m putting this on a public board, AND NOT FOR US NOW, but I’m excited to see what Likens can do if he ever gets an OC gig. He’s a really smart and good guy. He’s got a good football mind. I know it’s a role he will one day get and I for one am a fan. Kids really like and trust him. One day he might be in a thread like this as a “Miami guy”. fwiw
You think Mario gives him an interview for the OC position?

I've read on here I think that he was huge for the development of the offense over the season and I'm sure he would integrate some of Lashlee's concepts.

Advertisement
Back