David Hale ACC preview

Advertisement
Simpson will improve our rushing Defense. It’s one of his big strengths as a DL coach. DT and LB play will play a big role, as well. Unfortunately, we don’t have a McIntosh or a Willis that can impact that department unless Ford and Silvera step up (which I don’t have too much faith in).

Simpson will improve our rushing Defense. It’s one of his big strengths as a DL coach. DT and LB play will play a big role, as well. Unfortunately, we don’t have a McIntosh or a Willis that can impact that department unless Ford and Silvera step up (which I don’t have too much faith in).
How do we not have a single LB on roster that is impact player.. my gawd.. not even elite, just good type..

Advertisement
I have high hopes for Keontra Smith. Alabama game might be rough but he can be very good.
If we ran a scheme where the biguns were coached to keep him clean I could see it I guess but those boys are taught to go get theirs and every man for himself, lol.. He gonna be taking on olineman? Lol.. yeesh.. I have to see it to believe it, Our answer to our run defense is to go to a 4-1-6?! With one true linebacker and two safety/striker types?! Will see how this experiment plays out..

If you told me the answer for any other team to shore up their terrible LB recruiting and/or corching is a 5-11 205 lb safety, I hope its ok if I laugh while I have to wait to see it, hope it works out.. Will be in stadium either way..

Avante is definitely the wildcard due to his major talent, but my train of thought is he has yet to even play, on special teams, and last year he was just recovering from whatever it was he had. I don’t think he ever even suited up. He was out all last year.

So to me he’s just an unknown right now as far as whether he will be ready. And I guess I’m a little conservative as far as the safety position for someone that hasn’t played at the college level yet, he makes one mistake and it’s six points. A couple of mistakes in a game and you’re talking 2 touchdowns. But, physically, I think he’s the most talented of all the safeties, and maybe even the corners.
If Avantae can just be a solid special teams guy in 21, Id take that. And then with the natural expectation that he will build off that foundation with his athleticism

Advertisement
I'm bullish on our secondary after spring. They were the strength of the defense last year and we bring back six upperclassmen.

These are our Top 10 DBs, with blue chip players (four star or above) in bold:

Tyrique Stevenson
DJ Ivey
Al Blades
Te'Cory Couch
Isaiah Dunson

Bubba Bolden
Gurvan Hall
Avantae Williams
James Williams
Kamren Kinchens

In seventh grade science I sat next to a guy who wasn't too bright. We had pages of fill-in-the-blank notes/homework that effectively served as a study guide for tests. He was having trouble, so the teacher told him to "highlight the important parts." When the teacher came by to check we had done our homework, he noticed that everything my classmate's notes was highlighted. The teacher asked, "why did you highlight everything?"

To which my classmate replied, "because it's all important."

(and just to be clear I get what you're doing there and this wasn't intended as a jab -- just reminded me)

Advertisement
blades is starting oppo of stevenson. this whole ivey is starting thing came from no where blades will be CB2
Came from nowhere? Like posters made this up? Lol. I like Blades too and hope he is CB2 but Ivey is CB2 at the moment and he has T-Robs favor so....Blades has ALOT of catching up to do especially after missing Spring ball. And he doesnt have much time to do it.

I know this isnt popular opinion but Bama isnt a game where you start taking risks and experimenting with new guys over vets who have the experience in big game atmosphere. Thats how you F around and we are down 35-14 at halftime with Bama receiving the 2nd half kickoff too boot. smh. I am not saying a guy like McCloud should be starting over Harvey or Cam at DE either.

Would love for Avantae to take GHalls spot eventually if GHall doesnt step up and prove he can be the SS we need him to be but you cant throw Avantae out there in this type of game especially with the caliber of passing attack Bama has and will be unleashing on us. Some of you guys I think want Manny to fail with these Hot Takes. lol.

For the Keontra Smith fans..I think the biggest way he will help at LB is with the RB screens that Bama loved to use with Najee Harris and will most certainly test us with BRobinson Jr as well. A fast and physical type LB will snuff those out and stop that in its tracks. Gotta force Bill OBrien to rip that out of the playbook early.

I have high hopes for Keontra Smith. Alabama game might be rough but he can be very good.
Smith needs time to build and develop. Not fair to judge anything based off what happens in Bama game. Hopefully, he progresses as the season goes on. Unfortunately, I do not have faith in Patke (even though I hear he is knowledgeable) to develop our LB’s.

Advertisement
Came from nowhere? Like posters made this up? Lol. I like Blades too and hope he is CB2 but Ivey is CB2 at the moment and he has T-Robs favor so....Blades has ALOT of catching up to do especially after missing Spring ball. And he doesnt have much time to do it.
Ivey's only CB2 by default lol. Blades will take his rightful place as starter by game 1. missing spring is big for a freshman not a 4 year player. he knows what he needs to do and is doing everything and more that the staff wants him **** be ready.

Advertisement
Back