David Hale ACC preview

David Hale is one of the main ACC writers for ESPN, he just started looking position by position at the ACC. I’ll post his rankings/thoughts on Miami and we can discuss.

He started with the QBs. Here are his rankings and Miami thoughts:

This is probably pretty fair. Miami (King) at #3 behind Howell and Uiagalelei. Based off last season I think this is probably a good cut at it. Howell was really good, and DJ was sensational in his limited duty. But let’s see how Howell does with losing all his talented NFL weapons and King does with everyone back but Brevin.

Advertisement
Next up was ground games. I think we all agree this is an area where we really need to improve, and Hale has us ranked as such.

He hits the nail on the head…we have to be more consistent. 2nd to last in the conference last year in rushing success rate, only Cuse worse who was TERRIBLE on the offensive line. That’s awful. Put King into way too many 2nd and 3rd and long situations.

David Hale is one of the main ACC writers for ESPN, he just started looking position by position at the ACC. I’ll post his rankings/thoughts on Miami and we can discuss.

He started with the QBs. Here are his rankings and Miami thoughts:

This is probably pretty fair. Miami (King) at #3 behind Howell and Uiagalelei. Based off last season I think this is probably a good cut at it. Howell was really good, and DJ was sensational in his limited duty. But let’s see how Howell does with losing all his talented NFL weapons and King does with everyone back but Brevin.

I agree Howell will be tested this year. see if he is a first round pick like alot of people are saying he is.

Advertisement
Wow, he has us with the #1 secondary in the league. I think this is going to be a much improved defense this year, but if the kids back up this ranking, it absolutely will be. I see his rationale, there is a lot of talent back there especially with the Tyrique addition, but nice to see him so high on that group.

4th best without pressure was something I didn’t realize. Maybe that will help with the loss of the edge kids.

Next up was ground games. I think we all agree this is an area where we really need to improve, and Hale has us ranked as such.

He hits the nail on the head…we have to be more consistent. 2nd to last in the conference last year in rushing success rate, only Cuse worse who was TERRIBLE on the offensive line. That’s awful. Put King into way too many 2nd and 3rd and long situations.

This is where Donaldson and Rivers are going to be the biggest factor in improving the run game. That IZ Lashlee loves to use to set up other things need to start turning into 2nd and 6.

Advertisement
This is where Donaldson and Rivers are going to be the biggest factor in improving the run game. That IZ Lashlee loves to use to set up other things need to start turning into 2nd and 6.

Well, we averaged 4.2 YPC on 1st down runs last year. That was 11th best in the conference. Not good enough. How bout 2nd and 5 or 2nd and 4?

Advertisement
Was below average run blocking but above average pass blocking. They were an average offensive line last year. But you add in another year with Feeley + Donaldson + another year in the same system and they should be a strength of the team.

Yeah we had a QB that could turn just about every blown protection into a rushing gain and spies in every other game.

Advertisement
Well, we averaged 4.2 YPC on 1st down runs last year. That was 11th best in the conference. Not good enough. How bout 2nd and 5 or 2nd and 4?

That's probably where the explosive plays skewed it a bit since we were in 2nd and 10+ 60% of the time. Either way, the interior has to pave the way for the offense to be consistent.

I'm bullish on our secondary after spring. They were the strength of the defense last year and we bring back six upperclassmen.

These are our Top 10 DBs, with blue chip players (four star or above) in bold:

Tyrique Stevenson
DJ Ivey
Al Blades
Te'Cory Couch
Isaiah Dunson

Bubba Bolden
Gurvan Hall
Avantae Williams
James Williams
Kamren Kinchens

Advertisement