David Hale ACC preview

3 yards after contact is frighteningly terrible.

Only one way to go after last year, though. I guess….????

Getting Jennings and McCloud the **** off the football field will do nothing but help, in all seriousness. I think the unit will be better with the young kids a year older and the Keontra move. But I don’t think it’s realistic to think it’ll go from the bottom quarter of the league to the top quarter. If we can just be average at backer, with the secondary as good as it is and we know Manny is going to get good edge play, we should be OK. There is a lot of experienced depth inside. I’m not sure there’s any high NFL talent, as far as the older kids go, but there are at least several dudes who can play. Would sure be nice for someone like JHH to develop into an NFL kid. We’ll see.
That’s the worst defensive stat I’ve seen. About as “soft” as it gets.

Advertisement
Lawrence didn’t seem to have any trouble mopping the floor with that same Notre Lame team even though he had the same defense.
Did Lawrence play better on defense than DJ did, or are you just trying to somehow shoot DJ's ability down for some odd reason?

With DJ they lost 40-47.

With Trevor they won 34-10.

I'm not sure how you can act as if the starting QB made the difference in the two games.

Did Lawrence play better on defense than DJ did, or are you just trying to somehow shoot DJ's ability down for some odd reason?

With DJ they lost 40-47.

I'm not sure how you can act as if the starting QB made the difference in the two games.
Yeah, that made no sense whatsoever lol. He put up almost 800 yards and 4 TDs in his two starts as a freshman. That offense isn't going to miss a beat.

With DJ they lost 40-47.

Probably a Tom Brady fan.

Team wins is not a QB stat.

You aren’t allowed to say that. Everybody here claims Feeley is a god, but all I see is it taking 3 guys to make tackles and our O line getting pushed back 3 yards every snap. And I’m not talking about drop backs only, where technique matters. I’m talking about lining up and getting 1 yard. We can’t push anyone off the ball.
We arent exactly giving him much to work with either. Do we have one 5* OL in the room? We need to upgrade the room and get better talent then I will judge him. Hes never had a OL prodigy like Evan Neal in the room for us to judge him by.

I remember Coach Macho alluding to the fact that S&C coaches are only as good as the players you bring to them. You bring them Lambos and they will make sure they get high performance out of those mofos..you bring them Kias and they cant turn it into the same high performance as a Lambo. Bama S&C coaches consistantly get Lambos. We got alot of Kias and Chryslers in that OL room right now.

Advertisement

With DJ they lost 40-47.

ND won the first game because it was at ND, and they shut down the run. And it still took them 2 ot's to do it.

Clemson adjusted, got Etienne space in the second game and beat ND.

Where Clemson may lose a step is in the running game, replacing Etienne and Trevor Lawrence, as he had a threat of a run...DJ is not a runner...he's a big monster with a great arm that can make every **** throw.

Next up was ground games. I think we all agree this is an area where we really need to improve, and Hale has us ranked as such.

He hits the nail on the head…we have to be more consistent. 2nd to last in the conference last year in rushing success rate, only Cuse worse who was TERRIBLE on the offensive line. That’s awful. Put King into way too many 2nd and 3rd and long situations.

Yeah, been saying that for years with this O-line. I want to think - to hope - they'll improve enough for a functional run game that everything else happens off of.

It's amazing to me with all the expert analysis on here that Cane's fans don't recognize this more. With the running games The U used to have, you'd think our fan base would remember what quality O-line play looks like. Its a natural fan phenomena; when you have the great backs people focus on them, the O-line only gets mentioned when things start to sour.

Just look at the premium the ACC/SEC leaders put on a running game.

Many of our fans thought our O-line was much improved last season. But to me, that was an illusion because of QB play, avoiding sacks (Still ended up in the bottom 25 % in that category, only seven teams above FSU).

They didn't improve against quality teams and with their experience, last year should have been the big jump. It wasn't.

We've been stuck with what we have and you don't find great O-linemen in the portal. Fellow Hurricanes fans, there is no return until we figure out recruiting, coaching and development of the O-line as a group. We need to find that younger coaching version of Art Kehoe.

Advertisement
Next up was ground games. I think we all agree this is an area where we really need to improve, and Hale has us ranked as such.

He hits the nail on the head…we have to be more consistent. 2nd to last in the conference last year in rushing success rate, only Cuse worse who was TERRIBLE on the offensive line. That’s awful. Put King into way too many 2nd and 3rd and long situations.

OC should get blame.. he has 4 run plays

This is where Donaldson and Rivers are going to be the biggest factor in improving the run game. That IZ Lashlee loves to use to set up other things need to start turning into 2nd and 6.
2nd 5 and we can actually run his bull****.

Advertisement
I'm bullish on our secondary after spring. They were the strength of the defense last year and we bring back six upperclassmen.

These are our Top 10 DBs, with blue chip players (four star or above) in bold:

Tyrique Stevenson
DJ Ivey
Al Blades
Te'Cory Couch
Isaiah Dunson

Bubba Bolden
Gurvan Hall
Avantae Williams
James Williams
Kamren Kinchens

No intent to be rude to The Godfather, but none, absolutely none, of these guys have proven they can consistently play at a blue chip level once in college.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back