Official Daryl Porter, Jr. enters Portal (Commits)

The WVU 247 site listed him as one of the 6 positives of the season:

It wasn't instantaneous, because the Maryland game did happen, after all, but Daryl Porter eventually exhibited one of the best characteristics of a successful cornerback: Anonymity. If you went possessions, quarters or even halves without hearing his name, that was a good sign. If you did hear his name on the television or the stadium speakers, that was oftentimes good, too. WVU needed a starting cornerback after Dreshun Miller transferred, and Porter was fourth on the defense in snaps, trailing only safeties Sean Mahone and Alonzo Addae and linebacker Josh Chandler-Semedo. A willing tackler who finished with 40 stops but also didn't allow a touchdown after the open week, Porter had the best Pro Football Focus grade of the group. It had been suspected that it was a matter of time because Porter -- all together now -- has the pedigree. It may be happening sooner than expected.
He had 73.7 coverage grade against Oklahoma, he practically locked down his side of the field.

Matched up great with Marvin Mims & Drake Stoops when he had to play the Boundary side.

He’s best in off zone coverage, which is what we struggled at the most & had good hands & physicality while in phase playing in Press man. He’s without question a take just based on the fact he gives us more depth & allows for the young guns like Jaden Harris & Chris Graves more time to develop and come along as the season progresses.

Plus CB’s who start in the Big XII tend to be more advanced in coverage because they get thrown into the fire from day one & have to play a ton reps going up against all those high octane offenses. It’s much easier to cover playing in the B1G & the SEC when you may only get 4 targets a game thrown at you, in the Big XII you might get 4 targets a DRIVE thrown your way lol.

Bring. Him. Here.

Advertisement
For those who don't know, Daryl Porter Jr. is the son of Daryl Porter Sr. (No ****, Sherlock), and a woman who is also the mother of Marvin Jones Jr. (I believe y'all can figure out who daddy is in that situation as well).

First of all, Daryl Porter Sr. was a BAD MAN back in the day at STA. I still maintain that him and Keith Wilkerson was the best HS RB duo I've ever seen in my life. They were absolute freaks of nature and STA just pounded people with them over and over and over.

Fast-forward 20+ years, Daryl Porter has a son with a lady, the son goes to Heritage, he's a **** of a player in his own right, and is recruited to play at West Va by our newest DB coach.

Also, Marvin Jones has a kid with the same woman, the kid goes to Heritage, is a 5-star player, and guess who was the main driver for getting him to sign with UGA a couple months ago? Yep, that same DB coach who now rocks a Miami polo.

Porter Jr. just hit the portal. We need DBs desperately. Like, yesterday. Maybe at some point he wants to play ball with his half-brother? Hmmmmmm.

transfer portal bingo.

lesser known recruit who has exceeded expectations. check.
gets closer to home. check.
with coach who recruited him. check.
at position of need at more desirable school. check.

his recruiting profile has decent verified times from the opening regional a few years ago. seems like he's graded pretty well by pff. seems likely to come here and seems like a solid take.

Advertisement
For those who don't know, Daryl Porter Jr. is the son of Daryl Porter Sr. (No ****, Sherlock), and a woman who is also the mother of Marvin Jones Jr. (I believe y'all can figure out who daddy is in that situation as well).

First of all, Daryl Porter Sr. was a BAD MAN back in the day at STA. I still maintain that him and Keith Wilkerson was the best HS RB duo I've ever seen in my life. They were absolute freaks of nature and STA just pounded people with them over and over and over.

Fast-forward 20+ years, Daryl Porter has a son with a lady, the son goes to Heritage, he's a **** of a player in his own right, and is recruited to play at West Va by our newest DB coach.

Also, Marvin Jones has a kid with the same woman, the kid goes to Heritage, is a 5-star player, and guess who was the main driver for getting him to sign with UGA a couple months ago? Yep, that same DB coach who now rocks a Miami polo.

Porter Jr. just hit the portal. We need DBs desperately. Like, yesterday. Maybe at some point he wants to play ball with his half-brother? Hmmmmmm.

Believe the mom is an Miami alum

The WVU 247 site listed him as one of the 6 positives of the season:

It wasn't instantaneous, because the Maryland game did happen, after all, but Daryl Porter eventually exhibited one of the best characteristics of a successful cornerback: Anonymity. If you went possessions, quarters or even halves without hearing his name, that was a good sign. If you did hear his name on the television or the stadium speakers, that was oftentimes good, too. WVU needed a starting cornerback after Dreshun Miller transferred, and Porter was fourth on the defense in snaps, trailing only safeties Sean Mahone and Alonzo Addae and linebacker Josh Chandler-Semedo. A willing tackler who finished with 40 stops but also didn't allow a touchdown after the open week, Porter had the best Pro Football Focus grade of the group. It had been suspected that it was a matter of time because Porter -- all together now -- has the pedigree. It may be happening sooner than expected.

@DMoney @Liberty City El would we take both him and Keidron? If only one, who do you like the most?

p.s., Not questioning his skills. If you say he's good enough to be our #2, I believe you. Just wondering versus other options?

He had 46tcks 5PBU’s & 1INT as a Red Frosh last season.

He had good coverage grades vs Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, TCU, TTech, VA Tech & Maryland.

And furthermore, he adds more competition in a CB room that is sorely lacking in good cover corners.

I don’t think most of yall realize how bad our CB’s really are, we need a completely revamped room & anybody who helps keep the bad coverage corners off the field is a take in my book.

Bring him & Keidron Smith in, fck it, bring in as many as possible, force the incumbents to either step up their play or hit the Portal & be someone else’s problem. Yall gotta stop babying this CB group hoping against hope that they’re going to play above their means, it’s sh*t or get off the pot time.

Accepting mediocrity is for losers, Miami can’t be losers anymore.

Any argument regarding the talent level we have in that CB room went out the door last year when we brought in one of the best in the business and he still couldnt get anything out of them. Had posters on here saying T-Rob was overrated! Still hanging on to the hope that it wasnt the kids it was coaching. Smh.

I agree, time to turn the page on alot of these kids. After Spring, only the strong should survive. Everyone else? Good luck.

Advertisement
Any argument regarding the talent level we have in that CB room went out the door last year when we brought in one of the best in the business and he still couldnt get anything out of them. Had posters on here saying T-Rob was overrated! Still hanging on to the hope that it wasnt the kids it was coaching. Smh.

I agree, time to turn the page on alot of these kids. After Spring, only the strong should survive. Everyone else? Good luck.
T-Rob didn’t coach the CB’s last year, DVD did.

And the hard truth is, at least 4 of our CB’s just aren’t that good, we have 3 TF’s coming in that have promise & maybe 2 guys who could possibly be pretty solid. Stevenson is the only P5 capable CB we have, the rest are a bunch of ?’s.

Dammit, I was hoping he was related to this great athlete:

1645037798991.png

He redshirted in 2020, his true FR year then started in 2021.

He has a verified 40 time of 4.58 and a verified 4.25/4.31 shuttle time from 2018….where are people getting the slow stuff from? He also measured at 5’10 in 2/2018 and started in a secondary that was #40 in America statistically for passing yards allowed. I didn’t watch much of WVU this season, but just based off of the little research that I have done thus far…I’m not sure why some are so quick to pass on this kid because there MIGHT be someone available and WILLING to come after Spring?
I’m in. Let’s get him!

Advertisement
I don’t think the ppl that want us to pass on Porter remember what our CBs looked like last year. Outside of TS not a 1 of the others have proven themselves capable of covering at an even average level fr. Blades gotta show me something and get Ivey, Couch and Clarke out of my face until further notice. You guys want to rely on some true FR? Shít, I think we need to bring in a couple CBs, the cream will rise to the top and whoever is left behind can head out.

Everybody has lofty expectations but if we go into next year with nothing but the usual suspects behind TS, we’re not going to get close to reaching the heights we could. Gotta upgrade that room quick fast and in a hurry, hopefully it starts with Porter.

Hope Addae can bring some elite DB play back to Coral Gables. Last first round DB was Burns and he flamed out hard in the league. 2008 before that with Kenny Phillips. Let’s be honest with ourselves, FSU and UF have been lapping us with DB development the last decade, NEED A CHANGE.

Advertisement
Y’all wrote jaelan phillips off too with that same line of thinking. Don’t write blades off, he’s going to make a comeback. I’m all for the take or porter actually just saying blades going to have a say so in the cb battle. He had very solid 2019 and was off to a great start with 2 ints in 2020 before that medical condition

Comparing the #1 overall player in the country as a recruit to a mid level 4*

Smart

#trumpycanethoughts

Advertisement
Back