Darrion Owens excited to arrive at Coral Gables

My brother said he's seen him live and that the kid is big............but has really stiff hips and he's not sure why um is recruiting him.........just one opinion not the end of the world but something to watch in the future.

Advertisement
If nothing else, he is going to **** people up on special teams next year.

He really does remind me of Figs.

My brother said he's seen him live and that the kid is big............but has really stiff hips and he's not sure why um is recruiting him.........just one opinion not the end of the world but something to watch in the future.

All I know was that UGA's LB coach who is recognized as one of the best in the business had the kid at the top of their board. They thought they were gonna get the steal of the class til the white Tony Montana swept n scooped him up......

Kid's under-appreciated because he committed early, had such a no frills, no stress recruitment, but he's a baller.

Advertisement
I hate hearing what this defensive staff is saying. Its obvious D'Nofrio delirious to modern day coverages in a spread set world. A 6'4" 230+ LB covering a WR is just plain silly if that is how your defense is schemed. He wouldn't be quick enough to cover a 5'10" - 6' speedster. How abour bringing in another CB or Safety? Somebody better tell them boys this ain't Poppa Joe's era. The big physical LB's are less of a necessity than having more cover guys. Plus you have to get innovative with schemes, coverage's and blitzes. The soft zone, keep em in front of you, bend but don't break days are yesteryear! D'Nofrio is so 19th century that I bet he still wear to old coaches shorts, shirt tucked in with knee high stripped socks. Guy is as dumb as putting a traffic light on 95. He just don't get it and Al keeps telling his retarded little brother he's doing fine.

"They also told me in nickel situations I can be the guy covering a receiver."

Ruh Roh

I think he's actually athletic enough to cover a receiver. Unlike Gaines, Green et al.

That said, yes, get out of the bloody base D and go to nickle if they go three wide!

Advertisement
Great content, Glory. Tighten up your structure though, buddy.

Owens is one of those dudes who definitely looks the part, but I'm concerned about his pedestrian production. With those measurables, you absolutely have to make more plays than that over the course of a HS season. I don't care what the excuses are, but you have to produce more.

Thanks.

Last year Owens had 101 tackles. He was more well known by his opponents this year, and the coaches did not want any part of him. If you watch his games you can see that teams ran away from him the whole year. Same thing happened with Edgar Cerenord down here.

Also with Sony Michel, while Gibson was struggling earlier in the teams would just load up the box. It wasn't until Gibson made huge strides as a qb mid season for Sony's numbers to blossom.

Sony was also coming off a serious knee injury and getting comfortable with it as the season progressed.

I'm not here to down Owens. I'm just saying that I personally like to see guys with that sort of size and athleticism produce more as a football players against guys that he should be dominating. It's easy to splice together a highlight reel and make a guy with his measurables look like Superman. But those numbers are very poor in every category.

Owens is one of those dudes who definitely looks the part, but I'm concerned about his pedestrian production. With those measurables, you absolutely have to make more plays than that over the course of a HS season. I don't care what the excuses are, but you have to produce more.

Thanks.

Last year Owens had 101 tackles. He was more well known by his opponents this year, and the coaches did not want any part of him. If you watch his games you can see that teams ran away from him the whole year. Same thing happened with Edgar Cerenord down here.

Also with Sony Michel, while Gibson was struggling earlier in the teams would just load up the box. It wasn't until Gibson made huge strides as a qb mid season for Sony's numbers to blossom.

Sony was also coming off a serious knee injury and getting comfortable with it as the season progressed.

I'm not here to down Owens. I'm just saying that I personally like to see guys with that sort of size and athleticism produce more as a football players against guys that he should be dominating. It's easy to splice together a highlight reel and make a guy with his measurables look like Superman. But those numbers are very poor in every category.

They are better than the stats of most of our starting LBs. Just saying.

I hate hearing what this defensive staff is saying. Its obvious D'Nofrio delirious to modern day coverages in a spread set world. A 6'4" 230+ LB covering a WR is just plain silly if that is how your defense is schemed. He wouldn't be quick enough to cover a 5'10" - 6' speedster. How abour bringing in another CB or Safety? Somebody better tell them boys this ain't Poppa Joe's era. The big physical LB's are less of a necessity than having more cover guys. Plus you have to get innovative with schemes, coverage's and blitzes. The soft zone, keep em in front of you, bend but don't break days are yesteryear! D'Nofrio is so 19th century that I bet he still wear to old coaches shorts, shirt tucked in with knee high stripped socks. Guy is as dumb as putting a traffic light on 95. He just don't get it and Al keeps telling his retarded little brother he's doing fine.

Advertisement
Wow. Again I'm amazed with the trash of comments and negativity on this site.. So when a kid like Terry McCray has great stats everybody says no don't look at the the stats.. And when A kid gets 100 tackles last year and the following year his stats gets worse he's not good enough? Smh.. I remember last year around this time we where wasting a scholarship on Figs. I had 136 tkls my Sr yr and I was nowhere near a Miami caliber recruit.. Stats doesn't always tell the story. But you guys trust your evaluations over Al Goldens.. SEC schools oh yea an Ohio St. Mich etc.. Sorry for the rant but F*** Darrion I'm glad your coming we need all the help we can get. Welcome to the U buddy

Thanks.

yup, I been saying it.

I would rather have a short, stubby, angry mother ****** like Nate Webster that makes 20 tackles a game in high school.

Thanks.

yup, I been saying it.

I would rather have a short, stubby, angry mother ****er like Nate Webster that makes 20 tackles a game in high school.

I prefer guys who make football plays. I like Owens and am glad he's in the class, but his lack of production raises some questions for me. That's all. Sometimes, it's not easy to teach football instincts and ability.

Look at a little undersized unimpressive looking guy like Sean Spence. He didn't look great walking off the airplane, but he was making plays from the minute he arrived here because he was a super instinctive and smart player who had enough athletic ability to get where his enormous brain told him to go.

Advertisement

Thanks.

yup, I been saying it.

I would rather have a short, stubby, angry mother ****er like Nate Webster that makes 20 tackles a game in high school.

I prefer guys who make football plays. I like Owens and am glad he's in the class, but his lack of production raises some questions for me. That's all. Sometimes, it's not easy to teach football instincts and ability.

Look at a little undersized unimpressive looking guy like Sean Spence. He didn't look great walking off the airplane, but he was making plays from the minute he arrived here because he was a super instinctive and smart player who had enough athletic ability to get where his enormous brain told him to go.

He was physically the least talented player of all the Northwestern kids we brought in, yet had the motor, want and a nose for the football you couldn't measure like a 40time. I like a mix of kids with measurables and speed, and then kids that just ball too.

Our issue right now is that starters like Gaines, AJ, and Cornelious have neither skill set, their only talent has been to study well…

So an infusion of players like Owens, Figs, Grace and Young will make a monster difference

I love this kid! He's fast, big and athletic. But the kids ain't the problem! None of these defensive recruits will improve under D'Nofrio because he's trying to coach 20th century defensive schemes in the 21st century (or whatever century we in). FSU went and got their DC from Bama and their LB'ers coach there too. Tell me you don't see a huge difference in FSU defense as opposed to the last 3 years since Al and D'Nofrio been playing Pappa Joe's old defense! The defensive players for FSU play with more intensity, more physical, more aggressive and confidently under their new DC! This goes directly to coaching and teaching! FSU's defenders know what they are supposed to be doing and where they need to be on each and every play. These kids don't believe in D'Nofrios old world schemes and must hate doing that **** and getting ripped by the opponents and fans! It must suck playing for a moron and watching your classmate at FSU become first round material. We all should be demanding D'Nofrios release!

I love this kid! He's fast, big and athletic. But the kids ain't the problem! None of these defensive recruits will improve under D'Nofrio because he's trying to coach 20th century defensive schemes in the 21st century (or whatever century we in). FSU went and got their DC from Bama and their LB'ers coach there too. Tell me you don't see a huge difference in FSU defense as opposed to the last 3 years since Al and D'Nofrio been playing Pappa Joe's old defense! The defensive players for FSU play with more intensity, more physical, more aggressive and confidently under their new DC! This goes directly to coaching and teaching! FSU's defenders know what they are supposed to be doing and where they need to be on each and every play. These kids don't believe in D'Nofrios old world schemes and must hate doing that **** and getting ripped by the opponents and fans! It must suck playing for a moron and watching your classmate at FSU become first round material. We all should be demanding D'Nofrios release!

keep it about the recruiting. Take the scheme talk to the other board

Thanks.

yup, I been saying it.

Ranking the kids in our class, Owens is better than 14 kids in our class and not as good as the other 12.

Advertisement
Back