Darrion Owens excited to arrive at Coral Gables

U

User-4525

When discussing the Miami Hurricanes' season in 2013, the letter D always seems pop in the conversation. Defense...D'onofrio...Dorito? The prevalent letter D will not go away anytime soon either. Although recently associated with negativity, over the next four years, one adept 'Canes commit will have the hurricane fans learning to love the letter D again.

Darrion Owens was an experienced leader on 2013 Oakleaf football team. The team was filled with young talent, but there is no substitute...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
A lot of spelling/grammatical mistakes, no offense. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Good content though.

Advertisement
He came out of nowhere it seemed. I don't recall hearing about him before he participated in the summer camps.

"They also told me in nickel situations I can be the guy covering a receiver."

Ruh Roh

I love these taller linebackers that can still run at 235-240 pounds

Advertisement
When discussing the Miami Hurricanes' season in 2013, the letter D always seems pop in the conversation. Defense...D'onofrio...Dorito? The prevalent letter D will not go away anytime soon either. Although recently associated with negativity, over the next four years, one adept 'Canes commit will have the hurricane fans learning to love the letter D again.

Darrion Owens was an experienced leader on 2013 Oakleaf football team. The team was filled with young talent, but there is no substitute for experience. Owens garnered praise from anyone that watched an Oakleaf game. He ended the year with 59 tackles, 4 TFL, 2 sacks, and 4 fumble recoveries. However, do not let the numbers deceive you. These statistics showed his tenacity on the field. The problem with statistics is they do not tell the full story. When looking at Owens' stats, one must consider the fact that offense coordinators game planned around completely Owens. Clay, who is playing in the 5A state title game next week, did just that. They saw where he was lined up and checked the play the other way.

"I enjoyed playing with the guys (referring to Shaq, J.J, and his other underclassmen teammates). I know they have a lot of potential. I kind of wish they were a little older so we would've went a little bit farther. There was a lot of pressure on but we handled it and played hard the whole season."

Al Golden visited Owens this past week on Wednesday to catch up with the outside linebacker. Golden was somehow omnipresent that Wednesday, cited as being in Georgia and Jacksonville at the same time. Golden visited Owens at school then later on went to the Owens residence to talk to Darrion and his family.

"He was talking me about a few things. Mainly he was concerned with me finishing a few classes online because he wants me to enroll early in January. I was talking to him about doing that so I can come earlier. I was busy and never got to it so I'm going to try to do it so I get be down there."

With every committed prospect, after the high school season is over they can't wait to move onto the next period in their life.

"When I get to Miami I want to get out there and get to know the place as fast as I can. I want to try to get as much playing time as I can and help out the team."

Owens remains steadfast in his belief that once him and the other commits get to Miami they will help the defense improve. Owens believes that with hard work the defense will be resurrected out of the pitiful state it's in.

"I think I can get some playing time. I know the defense is a lot better than they were last year. Once I get down there I know we have a lot of talented guys. I know we are going to bring Miami back to where they used to be. Back to the old days."

The safety converted linebacker has been working on improvement since his season ended. Owens has increased his weight to be weighing in at 226, and he is not finished adding mass just yet. The versatile athlete was also a state qualifier last year for weightlifting, so do not be surprised when Owens is at the top of the weight room numbers in summers to come.

"I'm 6'4 and weigh 226. When I get to Miami I want to way about 235." :ohlord:

"I think the biggest strength of my game is that I played safety last year. So I can cover well for a linebacker. Covering as a linebacker is a lot easier than as a safety. I never really thought about a weakness *laughs*. I know myself, I get too excited when I see big hit in the open field or in a when I'm about to hit a hole. So I might put my head down a little bit. Usually it's just getting a little too excited (referring to a weakness). I got a lot better at that from last year."

Once considered a lock to UGA, Owens is now firmly committed to enroll at the school down in Coral Gables. One must credit the Hurricane staff for quietly pursuing Owens and getting him to commit at a camp in the summer. The defensive coaches have been telling him how he will be used once he arrives at Greentree.

"The coaches told me they'll be using me to rush the passer. They also told me in nickel situations I can be the guy covering a receiver."

Fans are always intrigued to learn more about the recruits off the field. Darrion spoke about his music taste to give some insight to personal interests.

"I grew up liking Rick Ross and Gucci Mane and a bunch of those guys. I listen to them to get me pumped."

Owens' had some final words to the Hurricane fans.

"I just can't wait to get down there and help out the team. I can't wait to wear that jersey."

***To learn more about Owens and the Oakleaf program follow the link: http://www.canesinsight.com/threads...Dana-Arthur-(D-Owens)?highlight=Darrion+Owens

RR, ole Petey going to want to make all the CIS coverage on this one.....

Advertisement
Great content, Glory. Tighten up your structure though, buddy.

Owens is one of those dudes who definitely looks the part, but I'm concerned about his pedestrian production. With those measurables, you absolutely have to make more plays than that over the course of a HS season. I don't care what the excuses are, but you have to produce more.

Advertisement
Great content, Glory. Tighten up your structure though, buddy.

Owens is one of those dudes who definitely looks the part, but I'm concerned about his pedestrian production. With those measurables, you absolutely have to make more plays than that over the course of a HS season. I don't care what the excuses are, but you have to produce more.

Thanks.

Last year Owens had 101 tackles. He was more well known by his opponents this year, and the coaches did not want any part of him. If you watch his games you can see that teams ran away from him the whole year. Same thing happened with Edgar Cerenord down here.

Also with Sony Michel, while Gibson was struggling earlier in the teams would just load up the box. It wasn't until Gibson made huge strides as a qb mid season for Sony's numbers to blossom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good interview brother. Doing good.

Kid is a beast in every sense of the word. His tape stacks up with the elite national LB's around the country, and he should be scary at 235. In a class loaded with defensive talent, he may be the most exciting.

Advertisement
Back