Darrin Smith Interview w/Footballville

Advertisement
Lol Manny made a linebacker a DE and a safety a LB last year. It’s more than just playing smaller, faster guys. You have to have the horses or that won’t work.

Yeah, but those kids didn't make the switch till their Sr. seasons, whereas when we were successful doing it back in the day, we switched those kids earlier in their College careers. And Carter always looked like a LB to me, He had no business playing Safety.

Yeah....but Darrin ran with the opposing teams fastest WRs, which is ridiculous...
Which is why UM was able to keep 3 LB's on the field at all times. Smith was the difference. Not saying he was better than Barrow or Armstead, but to have a LB run with an RB or WR gave UM defensive freedom that few teams have ever had at any level.

Yeah, but those kids didn't make the switch till their Sr. seasons, whereas when we were successful doing it back in the day, we switched those kids earlier in their College careers. And Carter always looked like a LB to me, He had no business playing Safety.
Keontra Smith.

Which is why UM was able to keep 3 LB's on the field at all times. Smith was the difference. Not saying he was better than Barrow or Armstead, but to have a LB run with an RB or WR gave UM defensive freedom that few teams have ever had at any level.
I recently watched an old replay of the 91 UM/Houston game. Houston ran the run and shoot with David Klingler and used 4 wide receivers on every play. Miami countered by running their base 4-3. UM's pass rush was so brutal, Houston was forced to try to throw short, quick passes every down. Smith and Armstead were fast enough to cover slot receivers in a short area 1 on 1 with no help. Their coach and quarterback had no answer. It was either risk getting clobbered trying to throw downfield against a very solid UM secondary or take your chances throwing underneath routes with UM's linebackers all over the receivers.

Advertisement
Who’s number two? I’m truly drawing a blank and it’s not cool… I can’t think of anyone
1652906098198.jpeg

I recently watched an old replay of the 91 UM/Houston game. Houston ran the run and shoot with David Klingler and used 4 wide receivers on every play. Miami countered by running their base 4-3. UM's pass rush was so brutal, Houston was forced to try to throw short, quick passes every down. Smith and Armstead were fast enough to cover slot receivers in a short area 1 on 1 with no help. Their coach and quarterback had no answer. It was either risk getting clobbered trying to throw downfield against a very solid UM secondary or take your chances throwing underneath routes with UM's linebackers all over the receivers.
That is funny because I watched that game not too long ago and noticed they same thing. We disrupted their timing and were physical with their receivers, who really weren’t faster than #1 or #45. That gave the d-line enough time to get to Klingler. It was obvious after 2 series that Houston had no way of beating UM.

Advertisement
Smith was a helluva player. Probably would've had an even better pro career if Dallas would've kept their LB corps together. Just saw and amazed that he's apparently the only dude to get two college national championship rings and two Super Bowl rings.

I listen to a TON of podcasts. I love this podcast. It feels like I'm sitting in a barbershop. He doesnt talk over his guests, he asks a good question then lets his guest run with it. I echo what was said in the pod, Darrin Smith is the most humble person on Earth. He would get accolades from pee-wee all the way up to and through his NFL career and he never thought he was "that guy."

I listen to a TON of podcasts. I love this podcast. It feels like I'm sitting in a barbershop. He doesnt talk over his guests, he asks a good question then lets his guest run with it. I echo what was said in the pod, Darrin Smith is the most humble person on Earth. He would get accolades from pee-wee all the way up to and through his NFL career and he never thought he was "that guy."
Darrin was the guest preacher at our church some years back and he didn't bring up his football career at all during his sermon. You'd think someone with his accolades would tie-in to their sports career in the lesson somewhere, but he didn't. He's just one of those guys where, "It was a thing I did, now it's over and I've moved on." Just a good humble person. Which is amazing because if anybody had a reason to be a braggart, it's 1/3 of the Bermuda Triangle with multiple national championships and super bowl rings and I'm sure probably financially well off. Makes the humility even more impressive.

Lol Manny made a linebacker a DE and a safety a LB last year. It’s more than just playing smaller, faster guys. You have to have the horses or that won’t work.
Exactly. The problem with the Corey Flagg's of the world is, they just aren't very good players in general.

Also, Smith weighed 236, Armstead weighed 238, and Barrow weighed 245.

Flagg weighs 229 soaking wet. You have to be able to shed some linemen and be stout at the point of attack.

Advertisement
During Smith's freshman year, in the 1990 Sugar Bowl he had one of the most hellacious hits on a punt return I have ever seen. He just obilterated Prince Wembley as soon as he caught the ball.

Today that hit would be flagged - even though it was a clean (but violent) hit. But it was incredible that he was the first guy down the field on a punt as a 'backer

Advertisement
Bes
If Barrow/Armstead/Smith had come out in this era of football they would have all been 1st-2nd round picks. The NFL at that time didnt really know what to do with guys who were "small" in size but fast as ****. They were WAAAAAAAY before there time. LBs who could cover slot WRs? (that 91' Houston game performance they put on would have had all of them going in the top 20 in the draft in this era) And you never had to take off the field? FREAKs.
Best lb combo at the U

Dam. I was listing to Smith and all I thought about was LB coach in waiting. What a role model for these kids!!

Advertisement
Back