Darrin Smith Interview w/Footballville

Advertisement
It could’ve been Josh Witt
3AB4E75F-126B-4F25-BEAB-C22C05BDA34C.jpeg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
If Barrow/Armstead/Smith had come out in this era of football they would have all been 1st-2nd round picks. The NFL at that time didnt really know what to do with guys who were "small" in size but fast as ****. They were WAAAAAAAY before there time. LBs who could cover slot WRs? (that 91' Houston game performance they put on would have had all of them going in the top 20 in the draft in this era) And you never had to take off the field? FREAKs.
Armstead made multiple pro bowls and got drafted in a round that doesn’t even exist anymore. I think sometimes fans put too much stock in where the NFL drafts guys. I’d bet there were 20 linebackers picked before him that didn’t have the career he had.

Take bigger HS Safeties & LBs, and turn them into College LBs & DEs, gee, what a concept!!! LOL

Never understood why these egg-headed DCs we've had here lately have gotten away from this philosophy, now we take slow *** LBs like Flagg, who wasn't a take AT ALLLL!!!, and turn them into Mike LBs...unbelievable.
Lol Manny made a linebacker a DE and a safety a LB last year. It’s more than just playing smaller, faster guys. You have to have the horses or that won’t work.

Armstead made multiple pro bowls and got drafted in a round that doesn’t even exist anymore. I think sometimes fans put too much stock in where the NFL drafts guys. I’d bet there were 20 linebackers picked before him that didn’t have the career he had.
You pop in their tape now to any NFL scout and ask them, "What round do you think these 3 LBs went in back in the 1992 NFL Draft?" and they would all say "1st round..MAYBE 2nd round at worst right?"...WRONG. Lol. Smh. Unreal how low all 3 went in the draft. But they carried that chip on their shoulder all the way to very successful NFL careers.

Advertisement
You pop in their tape now to any NFL scout and ask them, "What round do you think these 3 LBs went in back in the 1992 NFL Draft?" and they would all say "1st round..MAYBE 2nd round at worst right?"...WRONG. Lol. Smh. Unreal how low all 3 went in the draft. But they carried that chip on their shoulder all the way to very successful NFL careers.
Barrow and Smith both went in the second but I remember the talk about the Cowboys reaching for Smith because Jimmy liked taking Miami guys. Armstead went in the 8th(!) round.

Barrow and Smith both went in the second but I remember the talk about the Cowboys reaching for Smith because Jimmy liked taking Miami guys. Armstead went in the 8th(!) round.
You definitely refreshed my memory here. I swear it felt like those guys were 4th round picks. LOL. But maybe its because I expected at the time for them to all go first round. Yeah Armstead going 8th round is insane.

Even though he wasn’t the most productive backer we’ve had Ramon Buchanan could really run and is up there in terms of pure speed at the position.
Yeah....but Darrin ran with the opposing teams fastest WRs, which is ridiculous...

Advertisement
Back