Darkest days

Pete told me days before it was bag n tagged

yeah that was a clown show by Banda and then posting the Sean Taylor edits while flying back after meeting Jobe. So embarrassing. Coaches have learned for the most part to stop running their mouths on twitter. Outside of the Marshall pump fake they got hit with they have gotten better at the whole Twitter game with these kids

Advertisement
yeah that was a clown show by Banda and then posting the Sean Taylor edits while flying back after meeting Jobe. So embarrassing. Coaches have learned for the most part to stop running their mouths on twitter. Outside of the Marshall pump fake they got hit with they have gotten better at the whole Twitter game with these kids
Marshall used that Ivins **** as an excuse we just lost him last minute. Lol at them dudes blaming a reporter for switching schools lol

underrated one, but I’m going to add Vernon Hargreaves

kid grew up around the legendary early 2000s Canes, I think Vince Wilfork used to babysit him or some **** when his father coached on our staff.

he had us in his final 3 but went to UF and balled there. One of the guys that really started their DBU tradition which is biting us in the ***

Advertisement
Advertisement
To me it’s Antone Smith followed by Dwayne Bowe. Both were big UM leans and both broke our heart. Difference to me were the rumblings about the others and feeling like we were screwed although Johnson’s recruitment was brutal

We had some real disappointments in JJ’s time here, despite what you think about how great he was. He coached better with the hand he was dealt than any other coach.

we lost a lot of recruiting battles: Eric Metcalf, Jeff George, Sterling Palmer, Paul Moore, Rich McKenzie, Devon MacDonald....hard to remember them all.

Advertisement
Advertisement
One thing I have noticed over the years is that new coaches to Miami’s recruiting scene are not experienced with and do not expect the nastiness of recruiting in our environment. I sort of recall hearing that Dennis’ staff was shocked by the ugliness of the recruiting from our competition. I don’t think it was as much money, cars or houses for relatives that was the biggest problem—just lies and dirty tactics. Of course, there were always the stories of how Hubbard Alexander lost some coveted recruits from Chicago at the last minute to Illinois. Ironically, he lost them to Bob Karmelowicz who later became our DL coach under Erickson. Bob only told me that had been a tough recruitment. I heard from other Miami people stories about money and illegal visits.

both Axe and Bob are gone—so maybe I feel free to mention it now.

underrated one, but I’m going to add Vernon Hargreaves

kid grew up around the legendary early 2000s Canes, I think Vince Wilfork used to babysit him or some **** when his father coached on our staff.

he had us in his final 3 but went to UF and balled there. One of the guys that really started their DBU tradition which is biting us in the ***
Wasn’t his father fired at UM? Maybe that had something to do with it.

I think you have to put down all the South FL Wrs to Bama in one horrible, crappy category. All were big losses - Cooper, Ridley, Jeudy and now Brooks.

Those three above probably provide a win or two more a season.

Peterson was brutal.

Few others irrespective of how their careers turned out and for different reasons:
  • Devonta Smith
  • Tyler Byrd
  • Andre DeBose
  • Major Wright
  • Tyson Campbell
  • Rashad Fenton
  • Antone Smith
  • Alex Collins
  • Teddy Bridgewater
  • TJ Bryant
I'm sure I will think of more.

Last edited:
We had some real disappointments in JJ’s time here, despite what you think about how great he was. He coached better with the hand he was dealt than any other coach.

we lost a lot of recruiting battles: Eric Metcalf, Jeff George, Sterling Palmer, Paul Moore, Rich McKenzie, Devon MacDonald....hard to remember them all.
Funny you say Devon MacDonald, I went to High school with him back in 1988, his brother (Ricardo) went to our crosstown rival, and he ended up at PITT. I use to tell Devon, dude you have to go to Miami. But his head coach pushed him toward the domers. They were humble young men and intelligent in the classroom, also.

I'm glad you brought that up, @TheMatador .... Thanks for those memories!

Advertisement
Back