Darkest days

What is your personal darkest day in recruiting?
1. Cook signing finical aid package and flaking?
2. The American heritage fiasco with the top two corners leaving?
3. UCF beating us out for the corner last cycle (brown I think)?

My personal one is Bryce Brown. I remember that year he came to canes fest with Tennessee gear... the 17 year old self should have RKO’d him and did my time in juvi.
Why...

Advertisement
What is your personal darkest day in recruiting?
1. Cook signing finical aid package and flaking?
2. The American heritage fiasco with the top two corners leaving?
3. UCF beating us out for the corner last cycle (brown I think)?

My personal one is Bryce Brown. I remember that year he came to canes fest with Tennessee gear... the 17 year old self should have RKO’d him and did my time in juvi.
He showed up in Tenn gear and almost got his *** tore up...

Ivan McCartney. I for sure thought we had him.
Corey Lemonier
Matthew Thomas
CJ Henderson
Sony Michel
Jerry Jeudy
And the worst....Ridley/SBB

Advertisement
Lots of great names here. For me, though, it starts with antone smith.

After that, there were so many. Also recall SBB and Ridley. They were all set to announce (to us) during some 7x7 tourney when genron got his greasy hands on them and told them they needed to make a business decision.

Patrick Johnson was a good one - came to Hecht that week before signing day and supposedly told Randy that he wanted in. Randy told him to **** his own face.

dwayne bowe’s grandma telling Randy to pay up while he was on a visit in her house. Lols

back in the day, we had a hard on for tally kids. We went after pat Watkins, cormartie, tamarick vanover, Fred rouse, crappy thorpe and we were SUPER close to signing them (may have had some verbals/silents).
This true? Seriously?

Advertisement
Patrick Johnson debacle was somehow different. It seemed, to me at least, the first time that a kid was actually trying to hurt us by making believe he was coming.
The first of a legion of “shock the world”ers or just a guy trying to hide the fact that he was on the take.
Randy wasn’t buying it or Randy’s weird personality helped drive him off?
#moderntimes

Advertisement
Peterson for sure for me. I used to go to the local college campus library to read articles about him cause I was too broke to have internet at home. I want even a student at the school back home.

I enrolled to get a schedule and got a student ID made, then dropped all the classes. I was able to get into the library, new gym complex they built and play intramural sports.

another one was Matt Thomas.

someone mentioned above about Sticks. I was shocked he licked WVU over us.

Denver Kirkland

Alex Collins hurt.

there was a lot between that 2008-2015 range too many to name

None of those are even close for me, lol. Antone Smith choosing FSU was rough. Deonte Thompson going with UF was up there too. Another random one was Vidal Hazelton choosing SC, I was crushed lol. I am probably forgetting a couple, but Antone Smith and Deonte come to mind more than anything else right now.

All those scenarios you mentioned weren’t surprises so I was prepared. We all knew Dalvin wasn’t coming here with Yearby and knew Rumph wasn’t signing those guys. I didn’t lose any sleep over a CB signing with UCF either, lol.
Vivid memories there... another one was the Patrick Johnson aka Peterson saga with BigConch. I always held out hope that he'd come back

Advertisement
CJ Henderson is up there for me... I wouldn't say I was heartbroken but I did feel personally stabbed in the back only because he was telling ppl he was 100% committed to us days before decommitting and then committing to the worst program ever in history. I was hurt before by recruiting but that was the last straw. From that moment forward, I never got totally invested in a kid until they signed. Also that made me stop watching highlights of kids that wasn't committed.

Advertisement
Back