Darkest days

Advertisement
Sony Michel was a bad loss. Kid grew up all Cane and still left. I thought he was another Duke Johnson type ambassador. That’s when it really hit home for me that south Florida has been raided by the SEC and if Miami wanted to be back we needed to rethink our recruiting strategy.

in retrospect, not taking Quincy Wilson at corner probably had downstream implications that hurt us, but at the time it didn’t feel terrible. But it was lol

Advertisement
Sony Michel was a bad loss. Kid grew up all Cane and still left. I thought he was another Duke Johnson type ambassador. That’s when it really hit home for me that south Florida has been raided by the SEC and if Miami wanted to be back we needed to rethink our recruiting strategy.

in retrospect, not taking Quincy Wilson at corner probably had downstream implications that hurt us, but at the time it didn’t feel terrible. But it was lol

we recruited Sony from like the 8th grade. I think he was one of the first kids that Alf dialed into to set the foundation for his recruitment many years later. Sadly, bags were too difficult to overcome

What is your personal darkest day in recruiting?
1. Cook signing finical aid package and flaking?
2. The American heritage fiasco with the top two corners leaving?
3. UCF beating us out for the corner last cycle (brown I think)?

My personal one is Bryce Brown. I remember that year he came to canes fest with Tennessee gear... the 17 year old self should have RKO’d him and did my time in juvi.
Tad Foote in 1988 when he decided to make UM the Harvard of the South. Changed recruiting for years and pushed Jimmy out the door as he had enough of Tad. Coach E was handcuffed by Tad and after the Cotton Bowl it got real ugly between the program and the administration. Butch did a great job in the late 90s when the BOT made some demands to Tad and things “reopened!”People blame Dennis have no idea what was going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although Quincy Wilson was a big one down the line, the DB recruiting fiasco I feel started with CJ Henderson. I was at my buddy’s place a week before Henderson was signing and Jobe called my buddy saying that Henderson was committed to coming here and that he needed Jobe to guarantee he was coming too. That didn’t happen and that to me started the open floodgates of DB recruiting down here. Jobe, Surtain, Campbell, Stevenson, Francois and now Marshall. Henderson to me started the trend

Advertisement
Sony Michel to UGA
This is a good one. I remember the hype surrounding him in middle school and how he was a 'lock' for Miami. The thing that made it less 'dark' for me is that it became clear that he wasnt coming to Miami well before it was his class's year.

The 2008 beatdown in the last game at the OB vs UVA

Terry Porter / Mcgahee knee

ST26 passing

Advertisement
South Plantation. He was a childhood friend of mine, his parent's lived right down the street. We lost touch around the time high school started though.
Is he going to play in the nfl again? Wouldn’t be a bad flier in a dynasty league.

Noel Devine, Bryce Brown, cj Henderson were some of the big ones I can remember from my 30 years as a canes fan.

No one mentioned the immortal Josh Jobe!! Lol what a fiasco that was. Also another one that wasn’t mentioned was Anthony McFartland. Another diabolical troll job.

I never expected Jobe not from day 1. Everyone but our staff and Duasso knew he wasn’t coming to Miami. Our staffed has learned a lot thanks to Jobe. That was a major embarrassment for them.

McFarland I thought was locked in but we heard a few days previously to his announcement he got paid so I was expecting it once it finally came

Advertisement
Although Quincy Wilson was a big one down the line, the DB recruiting fiasco I feel started with CJ Henderson. I was at my buddy’s place a week before Henderson was signing and Jobe called my buddy saying that Henderson was committed to coming here and that he needed Jobe to guarantee he was coming too. That didn’t happen and that to me started the open floodgates of DB recruiting down here. Jobe, Surtain, Campbell, Stevenson, Francois and now Marshall. Henderson to me started the trend
Started way before that

I never expected Jobe not from day 1. Everyone but our staff and Duasso knew he wasn’t coming to Miami. Our staffed has learned a lot thanks to Jobe. That was a major embarrassment for them.

McFarland I thought was locked in but we heard a few days previously to his announcement he got paid so I was expecting it once it finally came
Pete told me days before it was bag n tagged

There are a lot of names here that were never coming here and never interested, but fans talk as if "we were so close." I don't understand being upset over those guys.

Advertisement
Back