Danny White (UCF AD) hired at Tennessee

Dude is well regarded.

Meanwhile; we have a ticket.....nvm. I’m over it.

Everyone's got to start somewhere in the Athletic department so I'll personally never knock Blake for that. Some of the best AD's in the country started there.

At the end of the day what separates the good AD's from the great ones are the ones who can pick great coaches and then enable them for success. Blake's failed a few times already with his coaching hires and this should be the last one he makes if Manny flops next year. Will also be interested to see what happens with Coach L at the end of the season as well.

Advertisement
New Tennessee athletic director Danny White will make an annual salary of $1.8 million with an annual increase of 5%, per a Tennessee official.

Statement continues: “He will be eligible to receive up to $300,000 annually based on team athletic performance, team academic performance and departmental operational goals. His immediate focus will be hiring UT’s next head football coach.”

Everyone's got to start somewhere in the Athletic department so I'll personally never knock Blake for that. Some of the best AD's in the country started there.

At the end of the day what separates the good AD's from the great ones are the ones who can pick great coaches and then enable them for success. Blake's failed a few times already with his coaching hires and this should be the last one he makes if Manny flops next year. Will also be interested to see what happens with Coach L at the end of the season as well.

My man; White began as a AD at a lower tier G5 school, first. Then worked his way up to an upper tier G5 school, now going to a SEC P5 school. Blake James was a ticket pusher, then gift pusher, an AD for MAINE UNIVERSITY, then learned from a **** poor AD here, FOCUSING ON TICKET SALES! Lol.

Nah Cuddy; go take ur *** to a G5 school to see how he fares as a AD before taking over a huge role. So per usual; this University makes lazy, convenient hires from failed regimes both from the top & the bottom.

Advertisement
My man; White began as a AD at a lower tier G5 school, first. Then worked his way up to an upper tier G5 school, now going to a SEC P5 school. Blake James was a ticket pusher, then gift pusher, an AD for MAINE UNIVERSITY, then learned from a **** poor AD here, FOCUSING ON TICKET SALES! Lol.

Nah Cuddy; go take ur *** to a G5 school to see how he fares as a AD before taking over a huge role. So per usual; this University makes lazy, convenient hires from failed regimes both from the top & the bottom.

Agreed. The next AD whomever it may be will hopefully have some P5 experience and not just well they started here so they understand how Miami works bs that got Blake hired.

More to how Tennessee botched this every step of the way yet some here think they've done such a great job.

My friend; we’re strictly talking about them hiring Danny White, and took aggressive measures to get in front of some bull chit that was caused by Pruitt.

Blake James’ bio says this:

Miami has captured five NCAA individual championships, six ACC team titles and 65 individual ACC titles since James became Director of Athletics. Miami’s recent success continues to garner both James and UM national recognition.

Ummm, what am I missing? Not Football, Not Baseball, Not Track & Field, so is it golf, tennis, badminton, wheel chair racing???

Advertisement
They hired Steele who will now likely be fired by the new regime after extending a coach who then went 3-8 despite buying players with massive cash payments in McDonald’s bags.

And before all that they had the Schiano debacle...good luck to White trying to clean up that $h!t show.

I think Tennessee continues with Steele as the interim for the 21' season, and then make a run for Matt Campbell in 22'. Little late in game to be swinging for the fences.

Last edited:
And before all that they had the Schiano debacle...good luck to White trying to clean up that $h!t show.
I didn't really pay much attention to the whole Schiano thing but my sense is this Chancellor means to make big changes in the athletics department. I think the first step was getting rid of Fulmer. Hopefully White can handle the boosters down there; that seems like the root of alot of their problems.

Good move for Tennessee, but head scratcher for White.

Why wouldn’t he hold out for a better situation if he’s the hot commodity that he’s supposed to be?

Tennesee will continue to be a shltshow for years, won’t matter who the AD is, and the risk is, the stink will remain on their employees after they leave.

Name someone who has left a profile position at that school in the last 40 years that’s gone on to be successful elsewhere?
Cash. Lots of it. The athletic budget at a P5 SEC program makes UCF’s look like peanuts. White got a huge raise. I’m thinking he decided to strike while the iron is hot and not chance another couple average football seasons that would significantly lower his appeal. Will he succeed at UT? Definitely not in the short term, not likely long term. (I think the UT football program, like Nebraska, is dead and isn’t coming back. They have no recruiting base). Might as well cash that SEC check while you can. He can eventually go back to another G5 program later if UT fails.

Advertisement
I didn't really pay much attention to the whole Schiano thing but my sense is this Chancellor means to make big changes in the athletics department. I think the first step was getting rid of Fulmer. Hopefully White can handle the boosters down there; that seems like the root of alot of their problems.
As long as the Haslem’s are calling the shots, they’ll continue to be a **** show.

Dude is well regarded.

Meanwhile; we have a ticket.....nvm. I’m over it.
You guys realize that most ad’s have similar experience backgrounds to Blake right? When you work in college sports you’re often told to work in the ticket office to make sure you reach every other department. Plus of Miami was so content with losing they wouldn’t of started firing coaches at Coker. I think they just suck at hiring coaches and go a little cheap. That doesn’t equate to not wanting to win, IMO.

Advertisement
You guys realize that most ad’s have similar experience backgrounds to Blake right? When you work in college sports you’re often told to work in the ticket office to make sure you reach every other department. Plus of Miami was so content with losing they wouldn’t of started firing coaches at Coker. I think they just suck at hiring coaches and go a little cheap. That doesn’t equate to not wanting to win, IMO.
In the case of James, I think the only reason he’s on the hot seat is because he went rogue and hiring Manny. If he took his time in circled back to Manny it would be different. For the record yes I think he should be fired if Manny doesn’t succeed.

Great hire for them. I've always wanted him as the AD to replace Flake. Thoughts?

No offense, but White leaving Central Florida for Miami would've been a downgrade—when are folks going to accept that?

Miami is a second-rate athletic department; a private school with limited alumni dollars in a large, metropolitan city.

There's a reason UM is stuck with Blake James—as Shawn Eichorst and Kirby Hocutt couldn't run out of there fast enough when bigger jobs arose. Miami was always a stepping-stone job for them The only way you get a lifer is an under-qualified candidate like James.

****, Miami literally promoted Paul Dee to AD in the early nineties after Dave Maggart ran away from this dumpster fire to work for the Atlanta 1996 Olympics committee—Dee, UM's longtime general counsel promoted to athletic director for well over a decade, despite no experience in the field.

White was always going to land at a powerhouse program after leaving UCF—and he did just that.

How many ADs were hired internally learning from a failed AD that was a fund raiser? I’m talking P5 schools.

White is holding a press conference today at noon. Rumors on the Tennessee board is he is bringing two people with him from UCF - no names mentioned yet. White has supposedly said he will hire an "offensive minded" head coach. Lots of smoke on their board this morning it could be Tony Elliott from Clemson - or he is at least a major candidate. The expectation is the HC job will be filled pretty quickly - maybe over the weekend - unless they get a lot of "no" answers.....

Elliott would be interesting since he refused to even interview at Auburn.

Advertisement
Back