Danny White (UCF AD) hired at Tennessee

Advertisement
Who was the failed AD? Dee won 3 national titles .

Ummmmm, friend. Blake James came from Maine to become an assistant AD under Hocutt. Blake was a ticket peddler for a period of time while Dee was AD, but that was well before we won ONE Football tile & 2 Baseball Titles. Blake left before that.

And Knock it off; Dee is the reason we’re in this chit now!

White is holding a press conference today at noon. Rumors on the Tennessee board is he is bringing two people with him from UCF - no names mentioned yet. White has supposedly said he will hire an "offensive minded" head coach. Lots of smoke on their board this morning it could be Tony Elliott from Clemson - or he is at least a major candidate. The expectation is the HC job will be filled pretty quickly - maybe over the weekend - unless they get a lot of "no" answers.....

Elliott would be interesting since he refused to even interview at Auburn.

Well if He's bringing people from UCF with Him, and He wants an offensive minded HC, wouldn't the obvious HC hire be Josh Heupel?

I was wrong about Pruitt (nod to @hughhoney being correct) but TN is more like GA than NE — and with the right coach* is more than able to be a Clemson, but better. (I once read where UT had the largest alumni chapter in Atlanta; clearly UGA by default must have more but you’re underestimating TN’s potential impact). Facilities, alumni, fans … it’s still a good football job.

*choosing the right coach makes every AD look like a genius

In January 1993, Garrett returned to USC to become its sixth athletic director. He came under fire when he hired the heavily criticized [redacted**] as head football coach in 2001,

**Pete Carroll

He was not the Trojans' first choice, and was considered a long shot as the USC Athletic Department under Director Mike Garrett initially planned to hire a high-profile coach with recent college experience.[22]Meanwhile Carroll, who had not coached in over a year and not coached in the college ranks since 1983, drew unfavorable comparisons to the outgoing Hackett.[21][23][24]
USC first pursued then-Oregon State coach Dennis Erickson, who instead signed a contract extension with the Beavers; then Oregoncoach Mike Bellotti, who similarly signed an extension.[22] The search then moved to the San Diego Chargers coach Mike Riley, who had been an assistant coach at USC before later becoming the head coach of Oregon State. Stuck in contractual obligations to the Chargers (who were still in the midst of an NFL season) and hesitant about moving his family, Riley was unable to give a firm answer, opening an opportunity for Carroll, the school's fourth choice.[22][24]
Carroll actively pursued the position, as his daughter, Jaime, was then a player on the school's successful volleyball team.[22] After the first three primary candidates turned down the position, USC hired Carroll.​

Well if He's bringing people from UCF with Him, and He wants an offensive minded HC, wouldn't the obvious HC hire be Josh Heupel?
IDK could be. the Tennessee board put their own list of "candidates" together, and of course Heupel is one of them. No one knows much right now but the rumors that are going around were the ones I posted. Sounds like it's going to happen fast.

Advertisement
Ummmmm, friend. Blake James came from Maine to become an assistant AD under Hocutt. Blake was a ticket peddler for a period of time while Dee was AD, but that was well before we won ONE Football tile & 2 Baseball Titles. Blake left before that.

And Knock it off; Dee is the reason we’re in this chit now!
I meant James worked for Dee before Maine. The BOT is the real issue when Dee retired they seemed to strip the ADrole of autonomy.

In the case of James, I think the only reason he’s on the hot seat is because he went rogue and hiring Manny. If he took his time in circled back to Manny it would be different. For the record yes I think he should be fired if Manny doesn’t succeed.

He didn’t go rogue and neither is on the hot seat

Advertisement
No offense, but White leaving Central Florida for Miami would've been a downgrade—when are folks going to accept that?

Miami is a second-rate athletic department; a private school with limited alumni dollars in a large, metropolitan city.

There's a reason UM is stuck with Blake James—as Shawn Eichorst and Kirby Hocutt couldn't run out of there fast enough when bigger jobs arose. Miami was always a stepping-stone job for them The only way you get a lifer is an under-qualified candidate like James.

****, Miami literally promoted Paul Dee to AD in the early nineties after Dave Maggart ran away from this dumpster fire to work for the Atlanta 1996 Olympics committee—Dee, UM's longtime general counsel promoted to athletic director for well over a decade, despite no experience in the field.

White was always going to land at a powerhouse program after leaving UCF—and he did just that.
TN a powerhouse? I think not. They’ve been a **** show longer than us.

IDK could be. the Tennessee board put their own list of "candidates" together, and of course Heupel is one of them. No one knows much right now but the rumors that are going around were the ones I posted. Sounds like it's going to happen fast.
The board got input from Manning and David Cutcliffe. It appears White was the only candidate after Cutcliffe suggested they hire someone like Kevin White, Dukes AD who just happens to be Danny’s father.

His brother Mike is the gator BB HC. His brother Brian is the AD at FAU. His sister is Asst AD at SMU. Seems it runs in the family.

Advertisement
Back