Danny Dillard

GhostofVenice01

MOPE SQUAD INTERNATIONAL
38055132461047755510910.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Finally sat down and watched the entire reel. Some thoughts:

Strengths: Looks every bit of 6'1 and 205 pounds. The 4.4 also appears legit, which is notable for a high schooler that size. Strong, tough runner who seeks contact. Attacks the line, hits the hole hard and plays without fear.

Weaknesses: Tall runner with a high center of gravity. Lacks balance. Poor footwork in the hole. Not a dynamic open field runner because of his lack of cutting ability. Leaves yards on the field because of his impatience to let the hole develop.

Outlook: Don't see the feet and balance of a starting Miami back, but big/fast/tough is a good combination. Can see him making his biggest impact on kickoff coverage and kickoff return.

Comparison: Daniel Thomas (faster, less athletic)

Advertisement

Strengths: Looks every bit of 6'1 and 205 pounds. The 4.4 also appears legit, which is notable for a high schooler that size. Strong, tough runner who seeks contact. Attacks the line, hits the hole hard and plays without fear.

Weaknesses: Tall runner with a high center of gravity. Lacks balance. Poor footwork in the hole. Not a dynamic open field runner because of his lack of cutting ability. Leaves yards on the field because of his impatience to let the hole develop.

Outlook: Don't see the feet and balance of a starting Miami back, but big/fast/tough is a good combination. Can see him making his biggest impact on kickoff coverage and kickoff return.

Sounds Storm Johnson-esque.

Or are we only allowed to compare recruits to former Canes that actually graduated? :)

All of the weaknesses, except for the lack of balance, can be coached. I like the fact that he's aggressive when he hits the hole, but I'd prefer him to be aggressive after allowing the hole to open.

Storm Johnson was very agile, had good balance and was very loose in his ankles. All traits that I think Dillard lacks. Dillard is straight north-south. Think Mike James (but if you remember Mike's HS highlights, that guy was a beast physically and sought contact. Dillard, to me, isn't as physical at the same stage, and we all saw how that worked out for James once the physicality increased... I'm not a fan of this take.

Advertisement

I'm tellin y'all, this **** is a James Starks clone.

Storm Johnson was very agile, had good balance and was very loose in his ankles. All traits that I think Dillard lacks. Dillard is straight north-south. Think Mike James (but if you remember Mike's HS highlights, that guy was a beast physically and sought contact. Dillard, to me, isn't as physical at the same stage, and we all saw how that worked out for James once the physicality increased... I'm not a fan of this take.

That's actually what i have been saying about a potential 2013 kid, Lorenzo Woodley...not sure how he'll translate to college. I think Dillard is faster than James. James is missing that burst through the hole....it's very noticable when you compare him to Lamar (first 6 games anyway)

Advertisement
I like this kid. North/South, shortest distance between two points, can slash, spin, but isn't bashful about putting his head down and dishing some out.

He runs very determined, good start/stop, stutterstep and go.

I think we all can see that just a little blocking goes a long way.

IMO the coaches know how special Duke is and didn't go looking for the next most talented RB they can get as the second RB in the class. Instead, they went looking for the next most talented RB they can get that will compliment Duke and take over any shortcomings he may have. Dillard wasn't recruited to ever be Miami's feature back, he was recruited to thrive in his niche, which is short yardage/goal line, pound the interior of the defense and gain tough yards by hitting the LOS fast.

Advertisement
Back