Dan Enos Interview w/ the Herald (Part I)

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium

Give me this part straight into my veins. Not necessarily Tate being the starter but Enos' philosophy/willingness to adjust to maximize your specific QB's skillset:

▪︎So if Tate Martell wins the job, would UM gear it toward him by allowing him to play out of the shotgun, where he appears more comfortable?

“The big thing is he’s done it his whole life, so he’s probably more comfortable being in the shotgun,” Enos said. “I think good coaches tailor whatever they do around their guys. Whoever the quarterback ends up being, we’re obviously going to gear it toward their skill set, whatever that is.▪︎

Advertisement
Jeff Thomas should get 10 touches each game. If you're truly about tailoring your offense around the players then you better make JT4 the centerpiece.
You're right, JT4 needs to be that centerpiece. Lucky for us we have legitimate weapons all over the offensive side of the ball...not just JT4 but two great TE, two great 1-2 punch RBs with Lingard as a cherry on top with sheer speed. Our WRs can be better as a group but what we have at wideout is honestly just what you want - versatile. This offense can be very special. Enos seems like he loves all the variety and like he says the "diversity" he's got access to with skill players. Something that we haven't seen in a long, long, long, long fuggin time. Last regime it was "get on board, or you don't play" and we heard "if the players actually executed, we'd win" – which, honestly, how the **** can you expect to be successful with that. Very happy with Enos' approach to an offense though.

Last edited:

Give me this part straight into my veins. Not necessarily Tate being the starter but Enos' philosophy/willingness to adjust to maximize your specific QB's skillset:

▪︎So if Tate Martell wins the job, would UM gear it toward him by allowing him to play out of the shotgun, where he appears more comfortable?

“The big thing is he’s done it his whole life, so he’s probably more comfortable being in the shotgun,” Enos said. “I think good coaches tailor whatever they do around their guys. Whoever the quarterback ends up being, we’re obviously going to gear it toward their skill set, whatever that is.▪︎
I'm just glad that the coaches seem pretty **** smart, haven't had real brainiacs here for quite some time.

Advertisement
I'm just glad that the coaches seem pretty **** smart, haven't had real brainiacs here for quite some time.
If we are winning games, its going to be hard keeping Dan Enos on board. He's the offensive mind of a Diaz. Both sound extremely smart.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Love this guy. Gonna be exciting to see who takes the steps to win the job. All 3 race to the end. Tate Kosi Jarren May the best man win and lead the Canes to glory. Go CANES

Jeff Thomas should get 10 touches each game. If you're truly about tailoring your offense around the players then you better make JT4 the centerpiece.

Devils advocate here.....maybe our centerpiece should be our TE's. Give them 12+ touches and you'll open up the run and game and provide more favorable matchups for Thomas. It will also help alleviate pressure on the OL and provide safety nets for the young QB's.

Of course though Thomas should get his touches in every way possible. (provided he's fully healthy)

Advertisement
Enos should play out the gun anyway. None of these guys coming out are playing under center these days. Perry and williams played in spread offenses in hs too and I'm sure they are more comfortable in the gun.

This part stood out to me:

He mentioned the three things he’s looking for in them are mastering the fundamentals, the mental side of playing the position (understanding offensive and defensive schemes, play calls and nuances) and the emotional side (handling adversity and success, handling pressure).

“I’m trying to teach them that everyone is looking at them every day when they walk in the building. They don’t know the right guard just came in. They know you just came in. How do you carry yourself in the locker room, in the academic center, in the weight room, walk into class. All these things send messages about what type of leader you are, and you need to be a guy that the team can count on.”

▪ He said the quarterback decision, to be made in August, will be based on “their entire body of work” and not just one great day. “It’s going to be the guy that has a great grasp of the offense, a guy that has built a great trusting relationship with the coaches. You’ve got to have a mind of the coach and the game of a player.”

For the people concerned with the i formation in open practices

Whoever wins the job we’re going to 100 percent gear it toward their skill set, do whatever they do the best,” Enos said. “Our system is built that it’s very multiple and very diverse. Once your system is in... now you decide, he’s our quarterback, these are our running backs, these are our receivers, and you gear it toward what those people do well. But you can’t start gearing it towards the people until you figure out who those people are….

“I think good coaches adapt to their personnel… The big thing is your quarterback. What’s he good at?Is he better in the pocket? Is he better outside? Is he better in the gun? Is he better under
? Is he a better play-action passer? Is he a guy that can read the coverage and get through his progression? You need to gear your system toward your personnel.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article229549964.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Back