Dan Enos by the Numbers

Advertisement
I think people are going too far on both ends of the spectrum. There is nothing wrong with being optimistic that Enos will put up better numbers now that the level of talent has gone up for him. However, it is also fine to look at those numbers and say "I'm goin to take a wait and see approach."

Advertisement
We were in the 110s, top 60 is a massive improvement over that and would have easily netted at LEAST 3 wins. Don’t forget Miami loss 3 games by 1 possession scores or less. No motions, predictability in playcalling, no scheming players to get open. Jeff Thomas having only 1 catch in 4 games. All of that sh*t adds up
View attachment 83151
I see this and f-ing want to throw up...

I think people are going too far on both ends of the spectrum. There is nothing wrong with being optimistic that Enos will put up better numbers now that the level of talent has gone up for him. However, it is also fine to look at those numbers and say "I'm goin to take a wait and see approach."
Agreed. Any new coach is going to have a large element of unknown, and shouldn't be looked at as a savior until he's proven himself with that new team. At the same time, just looking at past numbers doesn't provide enough reason to be worried and negative about it either. There must be some reason that Enos was valued by Saban and by some accounts left Saban quite upset when he decided to come to UM instead of sticking around for the OC job at Bama.

Tee3000 makes a valid point. There is nothing in the statistics of any Enos coached offense that should provide comfort or confidence that we will put up lofty numbers. However, that does not mean we cannot be reasonably optimistic that Enos will have success at Miami. I for one am cautiously optimistic. Why?

Enos was hired under the same premise that Manny was hired under by CMR. Manny (by some accounts) was CMR's second choice behind Dave Aranda (who took the L$U gig). CMR justified Manny's hiring by stating that Manny puts pressure on offenses and makes them uncomfortable. Manny's stats were not stellar (arguably better than Enos but he had some bleak moments too). CMR, who despite his antiquated philosophy, understands football and recognized Manny's talents notwithstanding his statistics.

Manny is doing EXACTLY the same thing. Manny knows the type of offense that gives today's defenses fits. Manny wants somebody that will do the same to opposing defenses. Hence, he hired Enos. The hiring has more to do with philosophy than proven track record.

Until proven otherwise, I'm riding with Manny and being deferential. I trust his decision-making and knowledge of football to make the right call. With that said, Tee3000 is right. Enos does not get a free pass and must prove his worth...much like Manny had to with those of us who doubted his abilities.

It also helps that our defense feasts on some of the worst offenses in the nation here in the Coastal and it seems like every time we step up against equal talent...his defense gets handed to him

So what you're saying is the defense is more successful against bad teams than good ones?
Please name one defense that was as good against their best opponents as it was against their worst. I saw Clemson light up Alabama's defense. I saw Ohio State light up Michigan's defense. Go down the list of the top 25 defenses in the nation and find me one that shut down every team they played.

Only two teams gained more than 400 yards of offense against Miami last year. One was Boston College where they admittedly got beat down and run over. The other was Wisconsin who managed 402 yards.

Besides, my point was that before he got hired at Miami, Diaz had a lot of mixed results at previous stops. There were quite a few members here who were rightfully questioning the hire when it was announced. He's been an unquestioned success here while continuing to fine tune and adjust his defense into one of the nation's best.

Advertisement
So what you're saying is the defense is more successful against bad teams than good ones?
Please name one defense that was as good against their best opponents as it was against their worst. I saw Clemson light up Alabama's defense. I saw Ohio State light up Michigan's defense. Go down the list of the top 25 defenses in the nation and find me one that shut down every team they played.

Only two teams gained more than 400 yards of offense against Miami last year. One was Boston College where they admittedly got beat down and run over. The other was Wisconsin who managed 402 yards.

Besides, my point was that before he got hired at Miami, Diaz had a lot of mixed results at previous stops. There were quite a few members here who were rightfully questioning the hire when it was announced. He's been an unquestioned success here while continuing to fine tune and adjust his defense into one of the nation's best.

I don't know WTF you're talking about...my point remains........go down the list of the top 25 defenses and see how many top 50 offenses they played vs how many played.

Thank you

Tee3000 makes a valid point. There is nothing in the statistics of any Enos coached offense that should provide comfort or confidence that we will put up lofty numbers. However, that does not mean we cannot be reasonably optimistic that Enos will have success at Miami. I for one am cautiously optimistic. Why?

That's not true.
His time at CMU is concerning.
His Arkansas offenses either outperformed where one would expect or performed right at where one would expect. They were never "disappointing" though. If Enos is able to come to Miami and perform on offense where the recruiting class rankings say he should be at relative to the talent we play, you can just pencil us into the ACCCG every single year with a chance to make the playoffs with a win.

The biggest concern with Enos isn't really his history of success per se, which is more than good enough at the P5 level.
But instead: can it work here at Miami? I think a lot of people are pointing to the Alabama offense and hoping he brings more of that because it lends itself more to continual success here compared to what he ran at Arkansas. But the jury is still out on that.

If Enos wants to go under center, run a huge playbook, and rely on an OL that just whips the man in front of them, I think there is a ceiling on the offense when looked at over a lot of years time.

It also helps that our defense feasts on some of the worst offenses in the nation here in the Coastal and it seems like every time we step up against equal talent...his defense gets handed to him

You're just staying stupid **** and doubling down with even dumber ****.

Getting all worked up because his results matched his talent at garbage school.... that’s ridiculous. And even more typical of this board.

Here we go..you just called people on this board idiots but now I'm getting all worked up right?

You are a CLOWN.

Advertisement
I don't know WTF you're talking about...my point remains........go down the list of the top 25 defenses and see how many top 50 offenses they played vs how many played.

Thank you
My point exactly

That's not true.
His Arkansas offenses either outperformed where one would expect or performed right at where one would expect. They were never "disappointing" though. If Enos is able to come to Miami and perform on offense where the recruiting class rankings say he should be at relative to the talent we play, you can just pencil us into the ACCCG every single year with a chance to make the playoffs with a win.

The biggest concern with Enos isn't really his history of success per se, which is more than good enough at the P5 level.
But instead: can it work here at Miami? I think a lot of people are pointing to the Alabama offense and hoping he brings more of that because it lends itself more to continual success here compared to what he ran at Arkansas. But the jury is still out on that.

If Enos wants to go under center, run a huge playbook, and rely on an OL that just whips the man in front of them, I think there is a ceiling on the offense when looked at over a lot of years time.

Look at this ******...he writes "that's not true" and in the next sentence says his time at CMU is concerning...then that makes it TRUE.

Arky got worse every year and his first year at Arky..he caught everyone off guard.

Advertisement
Here we go..you just called people on this board idiots but now I'm getting all worked up right?

You are a CLOWN.
I don’t think anyone was offended by what I said. For some reason you were, tho. Why?

Whatever. Sorry man. Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.

That's not true.

Huh?
//scratches head//

Advertisement
Back