2025 Dakorien Moore 5* WR/ATH from Duncanville, TX

Advertisement
I’ll say this if Mario chooses to try and pull top guys out of La. And not recruit Texas It’s a lot harder to pull a top kid out of La. Than it is to pull one out of Texas.

Better football players come from the state of Florida. Better football is played in the state of Texas. End of discussion.
Uh Huh Sure GIF

Advertisement
Please tell me we aren't having this conversation. I get that we would all love it if this staff had unlimited hours and could hit every single state and be in the hunt for every single top end recruit, but this is beyond nitpicky. Mario's strategy is obviously effective, he is recruiting at a level unseen at Miami in decades. The question isn't talent acquisition, it's talent development.

Coaches tend to recruit areas based on previous connections and preferences. Jimmy and Butch loved recruiting Texas because they had long standing ties. Coker was much the same, although he was a mediocre recruiter overall. Erickson was a lazy, halfassed recruiter that basically just waited for people to jump into his lap, hence why the program started disintegrating once Jimmy's evals and guys started moving on. Mario and his staff emphasizes not only local recruting, but places where Miami has been historically strong, mostly along the eastern seaboard, the midwest and the west. There's a lot of great talent in Texas, I'd love to see more 'Canes on the roster from my home state, but I also understand that it is an extremely competitive atmosphere and the time investment may not be worth it, especially if Mario is seeing success in other areas.

Miami Hurricanes football has pretty much stunk and disappointed for 20 years. All anyone that's left still posting here wants is what's best for UM.

If it's important to talk about where the talent is, it's ludicrous not to at least kick around the ridiculous speed coming out of South Dallas and Houston, particularly since South Dallas kids have had some degree of affinity for UM dating back to Armstead. With Texas HS transfer rules *really* loosening up and kids bunching together at schools like Duncanville and DeSoto and North Shore, there's a changing dynamic there that we could benefit from. Texas HS football is changing, a LOT, and while that's bad for old guys like me who romanticize the past, it's good for elite talent production getting those kids practicing against each other every day like you see at other national powerhouses. It ain't Southlake and Katy winning it every year any more. It changed, fast. You still see the U *all the time* at South Dallas games. Desoto calls themselves "the U" and has a green and gold U logo they use. That South Dallas culture is very similar to Miami's and has love for the Canes.

Advertisement
Miami Hurricanes football has pretty much stunk and disappointed for 20 years. All anyone that's left still posting here wants is what's best for UM.

If it's important to talk about where the talent is, it's ludicrous not to at least kick around the ridiculous speed coming out of South Dallas and Houston, particularly since South Dallas kids have had some degree of affinity for UM dating back to Armstead. With Texas HS transfer rules *really* loosening up and kids bunching together at schools like Duncanville and DeSoto and North Shore, there's a changing dynamic there that we could benefit from. Texas HS football is changing, a LOT, and while that's bad for old guys like me who romanticize the past, it's good for elite talent production getting those kids practicing against each other every day like you see at other national powerhouses. It ain't Southlake and Katy winning it every year any more. It changed, fast. You still see the U *all the time* at South Dallas games. Desoto calls themselves "the U" and has a green and gold U logo they use. That South Dallas culture is very similar to Miami's and has love for the Canes.

There's a ton of talent throughout the country. This "If you aren't recruiting (insert particular area here), you're doing it wrong" stuff needs to stop, especially considering that unlike Manny, Richt, Golden, and Shannon, Mario actually recruits at a high level and is beating the traditional powers for guys. As I said in a previous post, it is a bit nitpicky to complain about top tier classes, especially when we haven't had this in almost two decades.

There's different ways to successfully build a roster, and one has to keep in mind that no staff, even those with unlimited budgets can recruit EVERYWHERE. Let's look at Georgia's current roster. They have 10 guys from the state and one is from Dallas proper, most are either from smaller towns, or a suburb like Allen. That's not even including how many are contributors, a couple appear to be walkons.

Should Mario always keep his eyes open if a kid from Texas comes along and there is a legit shot? Yes, but as long as he's getting the talent needed to win, I couldn't care less how he gets it and from where. Keep in mind, Mario, like most coaches have preferences, and it appears that he prefers to get his speed locally, and honestly, I have no problem with that strategy.

That's simply not true.
It just depends. I guess I can see his point. But the need to elaborate is necessary. Texas as we know all those corn fed people LIVE for high school football. Some teams are team good. But the vast majority of it is unathletic slobs who all stumble around together and struggle to get from one side of the field to another with any purpose. Coaching is FAR SUPERIOR in Texas than it is in Florida. That's where there is no discussion to be had. Honestly Georgia has a lot to say about this discussion when you look at it from a per capita angle, maybe even Pennsylvania. But the best athletes as a whole is Florida by far. The issue is from youth football up they don't really receive any specialized coaching. Furthermore what gave us our edge before was so many of us came fromnslums. Our families were all grinding. Football was our way out. Unless people ever been through real struggle they don't understand what that does for you mentally. Now there is no real struggle. Every team in the country from youth football up pays good bread to have those kids suit up for you. Where's the struggle in that?

Advertisement
There's a ton of talent throughout the country. This "If you aren't recruiting (insert particular area here), you're doing it wrong" stuff needs to stop, especially considering that unlike Manny, Richt, Golden, and Shannon, Mario actually recruits at a high level and is beating the traditional powers for guys. As I said in a previous post, it is a bit nitpicky to complain about top tier classes, especially when we haven't had this in almost two decades.

There's different ways to successfully build a roster, and one has to keep in mind that no staff, even those with unlimited budgets can recruit EVERYWHERE. Let's look at Georgia's current roster. They have 10 guys from the state and one is from Dallas proper, most are either from smaller towns, or a suburb like Allen. That's not even including how many are contributors, a couple appear to be walkons.

Should Mario always keep his eyes open if a kid from Texas comes along and there is a legit shot? Yes, but as long as he's getting the talent needed to win, I couldn't care less how he gets it and from where. Keep in mind, Mario, like most coaches have preferences, and it appears that he prefers to get his speed locally, and honestly, I have no problem with that strategy.

After three recruiting classes and two that have played from our elite, top tier recruiter, which offensive skill kid that Mario has landed from HS would you say has helped us the most to this point?

Hopefully Cam will fix things. He's from.... well, you know.

Last edited:
It just depends. I guess I can see his point. But the need to elaborate is necessary. Texas as we know all those corn fed people LIVE for high school football. Some teams are team good. But the vast majority of it is unathletic slobs who all stumble around together and struggle to get from one side of the field to another with any purpose. Coaching is FAR SUPERIOR in Texas than it is in Florida. That's where there is no discussion to be had. Honestly Georgia has a lot to say about this discussion when you look at it from a per capita angle, maybe even Pennsylvania. But the best athletes as a whole is Florida by far. The issue is from youth football up they don't really receive any specialized coaching. Furthermore what gave us our edge before was so many of us came fromnslums. Our families were all grinding. Football was our way out. Unless people ever been through real struggle they don't understand what that does for you mentally. Now there is no real struggle. Every team in the country from youth football up pays good bread to have those kids suit up for you. Where's the struggle in that?

While I do agree with @Memnon that Texas and Florida BOTH have great players and (fairly typically) great teams, your observation about coaching is well taken.

At least in QB's I see this on the regular: the quality of high school coaching in Texas across the board is just flat out better than in Florida. not even close.

Are there really good HS coaches in Florida? Of course. And some of those names are legendary in the HS coaching ranks. And deservedly so. But if I'm throwing darts right this minute, I'm much more likely to hit a good one in Texas than in Florida, and frankly, I am much less likely to hit a bad coach in Texas. Too many a$$ clowns are still floating around in Florida that think they are Vince Lombardi. For the ones who know, you know, but to the administrators in schools, parents, etc., it's too easy to be fooled.

There isn't a single championship or playoff contending program that doesn't recruit Texas, literally not one.
I didn't wanna read through all the rest of this so excuse me if I'm off base here, but do you think we're not recruiting Texas?

Advertisement
While I do agree with @Memnon that Texas and Florida BOTH have great players and (fairly typically) great teams, your observation about coaching is well taken.

At least in QB's I see this on the regular: the quality of high school coaching in Texas across the board is just flat out better than in Florida. not even close.

Are there really good HS coaches in Florida? Of course. And some of those names are legendary in the HS coaching ranks. And deservedly so. But if I'm throwing darts right this minute, I'm much more likely to hit a good one in Texas than in Florida, and frankly, I am much less likely to hit a bad coach in Texas. Too many a$$ clowns are still floating around in Florida that think they are Vince Lombardi. For the ones who know, you know, but to the administrators in schools, parents, etc., it's too easy to be fooled.
For anyone that can't understand this or the disparity just look at the facts. ****** UNCLE LUKE IS A GOD **** HEAD COACH AND LONG TERM DC BEFORE THAT! In what world can you say" we're serious about our program and developing these young men not just as football players but as positive young men" then on that same day have a block party where your head coach is singing welcome to the ****shop and pop that *****! Let's be real. In Florida or atleast most of Florida's PUBLIC schools it's simply a popularity contest. Private schools on the other hand plenty of them have all star staffs. Main issue I see in them is they go heavy one way or the other. They either go heavy on former all pros or they go heavy on pure coaching. Not much balance between the two. Main reason for these things is probably salary limitations. In Texas that **** ain't happening. They die for they high school football and dudes invest themselves and their time in becoming the best coaches possible through their craft. Here, yeah Pop that ***** pretty much sums it up...

yea i would like to recruit dallas.

I aint so hot on the houston guys but dallas i would be down with going every year to...houston i would cherry pick offers to guys.

Advertisement
Back