2025 Dakorien Moore 5* WR/ATH from Duncanville, TX

No not at all.

Texas HS Coaches don't operate like that, they send their kids to literally everywhere. Over the last 5 classes, Notre Dame, Purdue, Nebraska, Minnesota, AZ ST, Stanford, Mizzou & Vanderbilt have signed more TX prospects than us, they haven't won sh*t either.

It has nothing to do with "success" & everything to do with effort.

I'm close friends with one the top 7v7 Coaches in Houston who used to Coach Team Fast but is now with Team Trill & we have regular conversations about Texas kids who like & love Miami.

We strike out on the TX kids we've recruited recently because we don't really recruit them hard. Compared to how much we put into the Alabama & Illinois kids we're after every cycle, we pretty much wave the white towel on TX early on in the process & don't really go after them at all.

Why? That's a question only the staff can answer, but the idea that we can't sign them just isn't true.

(And Arroyo is from Frisco, which is North Dallas/Plano region)
Arroyo is originally a south florida boy if i remember though as well.

Like you said we dont prioritize the area or the targets....i dont see it changing either as the current staff make up are going to put inroads in Louisiana more so and the midwest it appears.

Advertisement
Arroyo is originally a south florida boy if i remember though as well.

Like you said we dont prioritize the area or the targets....i dont see it changing either as the current staff make up are going to put inroads in Louisiana more so and the midwest it appears.
South Florida to Mexico. Mexico to Frisco, Frisco -> back home.

No not at all.

Texas HS Coaches don't operate like that, they send their kids to literally everywhere. Over the last 5 classes, Notre Dame, Purdue, Nebraska, Minnesota, AZ ST, Stanford, Mizzou & Vanderbilt have signed more TX prospects than us, they haven't won sh*t either.

It has nothing to do with "success" & everything to do with effort.

I'm close friends with one the top 7v7 Coaches in Houston who used to Coach Team Fast but is now with Team Trill & we have regular conversations about Texas kids who like & love Miami.

We strike out on the TX kids we've recruited recently because we don't really recruit them hard. Compared to how much we put into the Alabama & Illinois kids we're after every cycle, we pretty much wave the white towel on TX early on in the process & don't really go after them at all.

Why? That's a question only the staff can answer, but the idea that we can't sign them just isn't true.

(And Arroyo is from Frisco, which is North Dallas/Plano region)
You know I have nothing but respect for you my friend, because your in the know, ESPECIALLY when it comes to Texas.

You have to admit, something just doesn’t add up, not necessarily about winning, but those HS coaches are just about as powerful as the local city/town governments. They shut down towns (businesses literally close early) for Friday nights all across Texas and many of these guys make close to 6 figures if not more. I just cannot see Mario being the tenacious recruiter that he is, just essentially deciding to ignore arguably the most talent rich state in the country.

I know you know what it is - I just have a hard time accepting that the true issue is that Mario just doesn’t apply the necessary effort to recruit Texas when he’s recruiting Alabama/GA/Louisiana (heck Houston is next door to Louisiana!

Someone make it make sense because this is a travesty if what LCE is saying is true

You know I have nothing but respect for you my friend, because your in the know, ESPECIALLY when it comes to Texas.

You have to admit, something just doesn’t add up, not necessarily about winning, but those HS coaches are just about as powerful as the local city/town governments. They shut down towns (businesses literally close early) for Friday nights all across Texas and many of these guys make close to 6 figures if not more. I just cannot see Mario being the tenacious recruiter that he is, just essentially deciding to ignore arguably the most talent rich state in the country.

I know you know what it is - I just have a hard time accepting that the true issue is that Mario just doesn’t apply the necessary effort to recruit Texas when he’s recruiting Alabama/GA/Louisiana (heck Houston is next door to Louisiana!

Someone make it make sense because this is a travesty if what LCE is saying is true
I spoke to a family member of a former position coach at UM and I specifically asked about Texas.
She said that it’s one of the hardest states to recruit elite players at. You hit the nail on the head. The coaches at some of these Texas schools literally see themselves as better coaches than some of the coaches that come recruit their players. A football coach at a Texas powerhouse is paid close to 200k and has been in contact with all the top coaches and literally acts like his sht doesn’t stink.
Texas high school has the same problem that sta and heritage has had.
The coaches and the school itself as well as the students are chasing clout.
They want their kids to be seen on tv and drafted. This creates a talent pipeline and creates job security and guarantees salary increases.

Texas kids notoriously didn’t stay in state until recently and it ****ed of the fanbases. But before that, the frontrunners cleaned house over there.
We ain’t getting in there unless we start winning and those highly paid coaches see that we are a playoff team or at the very least putting elite players in the league on day one on a somewhat consistent basis.

I'm telling you from firsthand experience & knowledge that doesn't happen.

TX HS Coaches don't operate that way, that's how it is in Florida or Georgia, but TX Coaches don't give AF about those kinds of petty things. It makes them look good the more kids they send to D1 programs, they're not going to specifically steer a kid away from Miami while simultaneously pushing them to Minnesota, Vanderbilt or Iowa ST. Florida & FSU sign Texas kids in almost every class, so how does that happen if they don't want to send kids to FL?

The reality is simple, we just don't recruit the region that hard & therefore we don't get the results. Michigan & Mich ST have more TX kids on their roster than us, so what does that tell you?

Advertisement
I spoke to a family member of a former position coach at UM and I specifically asked about Texas.
She said that it’s one of the hardest states to recruit elite players at. You hit the nail on the head. The coaches at some of these Texas schools literally see themselves as better coaches than some of the coaches that come recruit their players. A football coach at a Texas powerhouse is paid close to 200k and has been in contact with all the top coaches and literally acts like his sht doesn’t stink.
Texas high school has the same problem that sta and heritage has had.
The coaches and the school itself as well as the students are chasing clout.
They want their kids to be seen on tv and drafted. This creates a talent pipeline and creates job security and guarantees salary increases.

Texas kids notoriously didn’t stay in state until recently and it ****ed of the fanbases. But before that, the frontrunners cleaned house over there.
We ain’t getting in there unless we start winning and those highly paid coaches see that we are a playoff team or at the very least putting elite players in the league on day one on a somewhat consistent basis.
Exactly. But then to LCE’s point, what really throws things off is when you have kids from Texas sign with non football powers and/or with a school that isn’t seen as an elite academic institution (Notre Dame/Stanford/Northwestern) etc.

What gets me is when the Arkansas schools of the world get a kid or two from Texas and it just leaves me scratching my head.

Again I agree with you and I also agree with a lot of what @Memnon said.

Stuff just doesn’t add up because it clearly isn’t all about winning per the schools that pull some of these Texas kids. But then again you see the work that Mario puts in and it cannot be a lack of effort.

I’m going to settle somewhere in the middle of both your points - I think Mario probably feels like if he’s got to deal with the “old STA and Heritage” mentality, then he’d rather just deal with that here on his home turf than travel to deal with that.

I don’t necessarily agree with it, but he’s the professional college coach not me, so here’s to hoping that we can win w/o Texas kids because it sure doesn’t look like we’ll be landing any of them any time soon

Exactly. But then to LCE’s point, what really throws things off is when you have kids from Texas sign with non football powers and/or with a school that isn’t seen as an elite academic institution (Notre Dame/Stanford/Northwestern) etc.

What gets me is when the Arkansas schools of the world get a kid or two from Texas and it just leaves me scratching my head.

Stuff just doesn’t add up because it clearly isn’t all about winning per the schools that pull some of these Texas kids. But then again you see the work that Mario puts in and it cannot be a lack of effort.

I’m going to settle somewhere in the middle of both your points - I think Mario probably feels like if he’s got to deal with the “old STA and Heritage” mentality, then he’d rather just deal with that here on his home turf than travel to deal with that.

I don’t necessarily agree with it, but he’s the professional college coach not me, so here’s to hoping that we can win w/o Texas kids because it sure doesn’t look like we’ll be landing any of them any time soon
I’m just reiterating what I was told.
Now the issue could be familiarity with certain coaches and trust in certain programs.

Perception becomes reality.

There is still a lot of apprehension when it comes to Miami and it’s understandable. Lack of continuity, poor development, losing to scrub teams, etc.

If we see the flaws then what do coaches see? What do they hear? It’s a small community man. News travels really quick in the grapevines.
I’m not excusing this or previous staffs from recruiting Texas.
But if we start putting it together and dudes start going to the league we should be able to get more in roads into Texas as we should’ve been having already.

But the same argument can be had for Georgia. Just as talented and just as sought after. But we seem to have more success there than in Texas.
Maybe the cmr connections have been paying off.
Remember, a lot of kids that have come on campus since Mario got here have said “I had no idea Miami was like this”.

Narratives work. And if for 20 years the narrative is “Miami sucks, their facilities suck, the campus sucks, the stadium sucks, the ipf sucks, they do t develop, then that’s what they believe.

We as um fans have been brainwashed into thinking that we’ve been on elite recruits minds. That has not been the case and previous staffs have relied too much in avoiding national recruiting and thinking they can just lock down all the J Smiths and ps2’s.

If you are out of sight then you are out of mind.
You go to schools to establish familiarization and relationships for future recruits as well.

Advertisement

It should'nt be confusing to you. Most kids go to college close to home, so it should be no surprise Arkansas gets Texas players. They are a Texas border state and play in the SEC. Dallas is about 180 miles to the Arkansas border.

The coaches are recruiting the areas they know and have relationships with high school coaches. That's how we wound up with Matocha and Flagg when Lashlee was here.

I’ll just say it, and this will venture into too many broad stroke statements

Overall the system in Texas is more professional on every level. Look at the antics of some Florida, south Florida coaches and tell me they take job advancement seriously? It’s like mentality of they would rather be loyal to people for their reputation in friends groups rather than be respected by professionals in the coaching profession

I’m far from an expert on these things but it was glaringly obvious to me

If I said that on Twitter I would be a racist though so I don’t bother
all that professionalism has gotten that great state a grand total of one mnc in my lifetime on the shoulders of Vince Young. Havent even won **** HBCU championships lol

That being said....alot of sfla "coaches" arent coaches or coaching sh*t. They are volunteers. It **** sure would be professional if your getting paid to do it. I coached at my alma matre just cause i wanted to help out. I lost money and never asked for any...ever. Just cause i liked my school and coached youth ball because i love my neighborhood in Miramar,a nd my friends were coaches or friends kids were players.

Guys are actually making careers out of it just on high school ball out there.

all that professionalism has gotten that great state a grand total of one mnc in my lifetime on the shoulders of Vince Young. Havent even won **** HBCU championships lol

That being said....alot of sfla "coaches" arent coaches or coaching sh*t. They are volunteers. It **** sure would be professional if your getting paid to do it. I coached at my alma matre just cause i wanted to help out. I lost money and never asked for any...ever. Just cause i liked my school and coached youth ball because i love my neighborhood in Miramar,a nd my friends were coaches or friends kids were players.

Guys are actually making careers out of it just on high school ball out there.
Yeah there was way more to the conversation so I said **** it and deleted it but you quoted it first

It’s just different was the point not point blank better/worse etc

But this board can’t handle any kind of nuance in a conversation so I’m not going to bother

Advertisement
Yeah there was way more to the conversation so I said **** it and deleted it but you quoted it first

It’s just different was the point not point blank better/worse etc

But this board can’t handle any kind of nuance in a conversation so I’m not going to bother
It is different. Their structure is very much better.

Man you wouldnt want to know how rinky dink ours is and these are the elite programs im speaking of locally.

AS MUCH AS MOST OF US GET ON STA....they are the closest to a well ran program as those out of state for the longest locally.

But our kids are so good even as raw as they are....they are still more advanced as freshman compared to these kids ocming out of tx. Like @DMoney state our kids are more pressure ready. I still want in on DALLAS....im good on Houston.

It is different. Their structure is very much better.

Man you wouldnt want to know how rinky dink ours is and these are the elite programs im speaking of locally.

AS MUCH AS MOST OF US GET ON STA....they are the closest to a well ran program as those out of state for the longest locally.

But our kids are so good even as raw as they are....they are still more advanced as freshman compared to these kids ocming out of tx. Like @DMoney state our kids are more pressure ready. I still want in on DALLAS....im good on Houston.
Yeah I read another post in here somewhere that summed it up pretty good. Theres just crazy absurd money in Texas, and coaching. A good friend of mine is a successful coach there and he treats it like a corporation. So when I see the **** I see from some of these Florida schools, I don’t want to pass judgement on everyone, but it’s like ****….

Advertisement
Back