Dade County "legends" (RB edition)

MiamiVice7

Senior
For those of you who have been involved in high school football in Miami over the years, or if you've followed recruiting enough, I'm looking for opinions on the RB legends of Dade County. Here and there people will make comments like "Yearby/Duke/etc. has been a legend since Pop Warner football" or "Gore is the most highly regarded high school running back in Dade County history." Stuff like that.

Obviously this is subjective, but there seem to be a group of guys that always crop up in discussions of this upper echelon of RBs.

If you can, I'd love a ranking--maybe top 5 or top 10--of guys you think are local legends at the RB position. My idea is to exclude post-high school stuff, so college or pro exploits are irrelevant, as is failure to make it that far. I'm looking for more of a community/local reputation vibe, but since recruiting has become such a big thing the past 15+ years I suppose national recruiting hype may be a part of it to some degree.

I'd love to hear thoughts.

Advertisement
Not a Dade guy but i though Noel Devine from Ft. Meyers was going to destroy in college. He was one of the first HS tapes i ever watched.

Buster Rhymes-Oklahoma Troy and Darren Davis-Iowa ST Sed Irvin-MichST. Davenport, McGahee, Bratton, Ferguson, Roan all at Miami.

Advertisement
best backfield ever.....

The Ridge in the mid 90s

Troy Davis, Darren Davis and Sedrick Irvin

Troy and Darren were monsters

I'm no particular order...

Freddie Miles
Elvis Peacock
Frank Gore
Joe Yearby
Dalvin Cook
Mark Walton
Danyell Ferguson
Sedrick Irvin
Troy Davis
Darren Davis
Antwain Easterling
Bobby Washington

Advertisement
Joe Yearby is the only sophomore to ever rush for over 2000 yards. Thats a pretty impressive feat considering all of the great backs to have played in dade county

Last edited:
Freddie Miles (Signed with UM and didn't have grades. Was a freak for Miami Springs and I read somewhere that he played for the best team in their history where they had a team of around 20 players almost make the state title game).

Frank Gore
Duke Johnson
Joe Yearby
Dalvin Cook
Sedrick Irvin
Troy Davis
Darren Davis
Markeith Cooper
Buster Ryhmes
Antwain Easterling
Sean Taylor
Danyell Ferguson
Bobby Washington

Taylor, Gore, Duke and Cooper carried their teams.

Some of those RBs from the national championship teams of Coral Gables in the 60s and Miami High in the 40s should be on there.

Other names to consider:

Corey Kinsey
Najeh Davenport
Darrell Sheppard
Pedro Medrano
Devonta Freeman
Mark Walton
Gartrell Shavers (would have easily ran for 2000 if he played on a good team)
John Mosure
Jakhari Gore
Bernard Williamson
Daryl Chestnut
Lamar Miller (as talented as any of them, but never had a great game against a top team. His senior year, he never topped 100yds vs Columbus and NW, which were the only 2 good defenses that he faced)

Last edited:
Gore was the best. The Davis bros with Sedrick Irvin at FB probably best backfield ever(yes better than Cook/year by)absolutely killed it. Sean T was unstoppable
Willis Mac was awesome but I believe missed most his sr year?!

Advertisement
Glad somebody mentioned my boy Cory Kinsey... he was my classmatr still cool till this day.... him and Frank were the top RBs in Dade County from about 1999-2001 along with Mcgahee n a few others .... both were monsters... we were the only team to hold Frank to under 100 yards his senior year..he had 85 to be exact while Corey ran for about 195 against him and we beat Gables that year too.. Corey was just short about 5'6 180....

Advertisement
Glad somebody mentioned my boy Cory Kinsey... he was my classmatr still cool till this day.... him and Frank were the top RBs in Dade County from about 1999-2001 along with Mcgahee n a few others .... both were monsters... we were the only team to hold Frank to under 100 yards his senior year..he had 85 to be exact while Corey ran for about 195 against him and we beat Gables that year too.. Corey was just short about 5'6 180....

Friends with a lot players from that Palmetto team. They were really talented in 2000 and blew it by missing 2 extra points against Miami Central. Definitely were built to beat Jackson.

Kinsey, Cooper, Jaamal Berry (played on a terrible team and was always hurt, but put up big games against very good opponents. Lots of ra talent) and Cecil Sapp never get talked about because they went to Palmetto. Shamed what happened to that program. They have advantages that you won't find in any other public school in Miami-Dade (Resources and Talent).

Last edited:

Friends with a lot players from that Palmetto team. They were really talented in 2000 and blew it by missing 2 extra points against Miami Central. Definitely were built to beat Jackson.

Kinsey, Cooper, Cecil Sapp never get talked about because they went to Palmetto.

I was at that Game... we lost to Central back to back years in the playoffs... 21-20 my senior year. .smh... all we had to do was hike and kneel, but Our QB fumbled the snap at the 1 yard line Central recovered and scored.... they did a all out blitz... 2000 was also the first time we beat Southridge in like 10 plus years

Kinsey, Cooper, Cecil Sapp never get talked about because they went to Palmetto.

I was at that Game... we lost to Central back to back years in the playoffs... 21-20 my senior year. .smh... all we had to do was hike and kneel, but Our QB fumbled the snap at the 1 yard line Central recovered and scored.... they did a all out blitz... 2000 was also the first time we beat Southridge in like 10 plus years

I remember that LOL. I still hear about that game to this day.

Advertisement
Back