Dade County "legends" (RB edition)

Frank Gore vs Pittman in the gables vs northwestern 2000 game Is one of the best I've seen. Gore rushed for a lot of yards but I think Pittman got more than him.

Advertisement
I remember watching Najeh Davenport when the Rockets came to Memorial Field to play us and I thought it was inhuman for a guy that big to be that athletic and fast. Textbook "man vs boys" scenario. He could have been a GOAT if not for injuries.

Sheppard and Gore had the best dual I have seen in person and Shep came out on top. Cory was the 3rd best back in dade that year.

Glad somebody mentioned my boy Cory Kinsey... he was my classmatr still cool till this day.... him and Frank were the top RBs in Dade County from about 1999-2001 along with Mcgahee n a few others .... both were monsters... we were the only team to hold Frank to under 100 yards his senior year..he had 85 to be exact while Corey ran for about 195 against him and we beat Gables that year too.. Corey was just short about 5'6 180....

Sheppard was more talented, and it wasn't even close. Kinsey went to SE Missouri St. and Shep had offers from every college.

However, Kinsey had the better hs career. Kinsey would be getting BCS offers if he was playing hs football in 2015.

The last UM practice that I attended, I had a few minutes to talk to Hurley about this. He coached at FIU, when they were 1AA. Kids like: Sam Smith, Kevin Timothe, Greg Moss (same exact player as the CB from monarch), Tori Robinson (6 ft 235lbs and was on the state champ 4*100 team at southridge), Nick Turnbull, Antwan Barnes, etc...All of those players would have been playing for BCS programs in 2015.

Camps and combines (started heavily in 2006) have heavily blown up SFL recruiting. Kinsey would have killed both of those.

Add another name to that list: RB Bernard Williamson Miami Killian

Last edited:
Advertisement
**This is a fun thread. Thanks, OP**

From who I saw with my own eyes:

1. Frank Gore
2. Sean Taylor
3. Jerry Seymour
4. Duke Johnson
5. Lamar Miller

Seymour was a monster. Ridiculous balance.

Another one of my close friends. Shook me so bad when he was a freshman when we would play after school. Was a Optomist legend in south broward. Our backfield was so loaded he was third string but we still knew he was talented as he'll....every body watched when he ran the ball with the twos. Transferred to chaminade then to pace. Still my boy. Humble dude...went to central michigan and was tearing sh/t up as a freshman before getting railroaded taken one for the team off the field. His younger bro did ok at Vanderbilt. I think may have graduated last yr or may still be at vandy.

1. Frank Gore
2. Sean Taylor
3. Jerry Seymour
4. Duke Johnson
5. Lamar Miller

Another one of my close friends. Shook me so bad when he was a freshman when we would play after school. Was a Optomist legend in south broward. Our backfield was so loaded he was third string but we still knew he was talented as he'll....every body watched when he ran the ball with the twos. Transferred to chaminade then to pace. Still my boy. Humble dude...went to central michigan and was tearing sh/t up as a freshman before getting railroaded taken one for the team off the field. His younger bro did ok at Vanderbilt. I think may have graduated last yr or may still be at vandy.

Beautiful post. I think Seymour would have been one of those unlikely rookie/free agent NFL stories that ends up being an NFL stud. That guy was a legend in my circle as a kid.

Looking back on some old film, guy was a complete monster. Maybe my memory is romanticized, but I think he would have been an unlikely NFL stud(at least from what my early 2000's memory tells me). Guy was absolutely impossible to stop for a loss. Crazy balance like DMoney mentioned.

Thanks for your perspective.

Last edited:

1. Frank Gore
2. Sean Taylor
3. Jerry Seymour
4. Duke Johnson
5. Lamar Miller

Jerry was like our little brother growing up, lil dude use to come outside with no shoes and play football with us....

From the above list, him and Duke were definitely the best at keeping plays alive. Duke almost never ran out 0f bounds. He was always looking to break the run, even on minimal gains--his team needed it. Seymore was similar, but only because he was generally really hard to tackle. He was a small, extremely strong dude--like freakishly strong--who always won the pad level game before contact. He was strong enough to move piles, yet he was slippery enough to navigate himself out of them. He was extremely successful in a Wing T offense, which tends to say a lot IMO.

Without getting into a Wing T tirade (about how Shotgun Wing T has taken over CFB), I'll say that he was able to dominate in an offense (Pace and Chaminade both came from the Guandolo/Zaccheo school of football) that relies heavily on misdirection and deception--while not playing QB. Essentially, every Wing T RB position (HB/FB/WB) is complementary to the next. There is no true bell cow in that offense. He was able to dominate in somewhat unideal circumstances and in a wide variety of contexts.

Last edited:
Does anyone have Jerry Seymour's high school highlights? I used to have them on a VHS but lost it, and can't find them anywhere online. It was the best highlight tape I've ever seen.

Advertisement
The best that I have seen in no particular order and is down south heavy. I moved to NC in 1999 so some of the other backs I never seen.

Troy Davis-Southridge
Darren Davis-Southridge
Tony Gaiter-Killian
Sedrick Irvin-Southridge/Miami High
Danyell Ferguson-Columbus
Johnny ' Tweet" Martin- South Dade
Markeith Cooper- Palmetto
Tyrone Ashley- Hialeah
Rock Preston-HML
Albert Russ- Most people forget about him but he was an ABSOLUTE STUD!!
Alex Johnson- Homestead

The best that I have seen in no particular order and is down south heavy. I moved to NC in 1999 so some of the other backs I never seen.

Troy Davis-Southridge
Darren Davis-Southridge
Tony Gaiter-Killian
Tyrone Ashley- Hialeah
Rock Preston-HML
Alex Johnson- Homestead

Can't believe that I forgot about Gaiter. Forgot that he was a RB in hs and during the early part of his career at UM. Gaiter, Bernard Williamson, and Lamar Miller were all 1st team all-state selections. Don't think that Bobby was ever 1st team. Right after Williamson graduated, Sean Taylor was a freshman at Killian. The K used to stay loaded at RB.

Last edited:

Troy Davis-Southridge
Darren Davis-Southridge
Tony Gaiter-Killian
Tyrone Ashley- Hialeah
Rock Preston-HML
Alex Johnson- Homestead

Can't believe that I forgot about Gaiter. Forgot that he was a RB in hs and during the early part of his career at UM. Gaiter, Bernard Williamson, and Lamar Miller were all 1st team all-state selections. Don't think that Bobby was ever 1st team. Right after Williamson graduated, Sean Taylor was a freshman at Killian. The K used to stay loaded at RB.
Noel Devine had the sickest highlight tape.

Troy Davis-Southridge
Darren Davis-Southridge
Tony Gaiter-Killian
Tyrone Ashley- Hialeah
Rock Preston-HML
Alex Johnson- Homestead

Noel Devine had the sickest highlight tape.

Yup. Not Dade County, though.

Advertisement
Harvey Howard from Carol City was a great back and was one of the reasons Carol City won back to back state titles in 96 & 97. Also helps to have Ethenic Sands and Santana moss on your roster!

Does anyone have Jerry Seymour's high school highlights? I used to have them on a VHS but lost it, and can't find them anywhere online. It was the best highlight tape I've ever seen.

I'm going to ask him for it.

People need to realize jerry was like 5'7-5'8 195-200 and a natural low to the ground runner. Crazy balance. Some runs he use to have in practice were crazy...like I said we would all pay attention when he ran against the backups.
He was strong as he'll too.

I remember one run in practice he shook three kids...the will backer came on late and only could get a hand on his back hip/jersey (Romeo Davis style against gt)... Jerry literally ran with this kid on his back dragging the kid on the ground about 30yds until coach blew the whistle. Just dragged the kid like a parachute. We still talk about it when we all get around.

He never wanted to go to a big school he was low key so central michigan was a fit. Jerry was a Darren sproles/ Doug Martin mix if you never saw him play. Crazy feet , crazy balance, but like a battering ram with good strength

Lil bro who wasn't even as good as him did well at vandy..
nAO4In4MxMo

Last edited:
Top 3:

1. Frank Gore
2. Frank Gore
3. Frank Gore

Next two:

Frank Gore & Frank Gore

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back