Dade County "legends" (RB edition)

Advertisement
Gore in HS, and his Freshman year at UM, Before the knee injuries. Was the best I have ever seen.

Injury free, he would have been the best to ever play at Miami

Agree wholeheartedly!!!

I could not agree more. And I've always wondered what percentage of what Gore could have been made it to the NFL. He's had a good career there, I wonder what if....?

Freddie Miles (Signed with UM and didn't have grades. Was a freak for Miami Springs and I read somewhere that he played for the best team in their history where they had a team of around 20 players almost make the state title game).

Frank Gore
Duke Johnson
Joe Yearby
Dalvin Cook
Sedrick Irvin
Troy Davis
Darren Davis
Markeith Cooper
Buster Ryhmes
Antwain Easterling
Sean Taylor
Danyell Ferguson

Taylor, Gore, Duke and Cooper carried their teams.

Some of those RBs from the national championship teams of Coral Gables in the 60s and Miami High in the 40s should be on there.

Other names to consider:

Corey Kinsey
Najeh Davenport
Darrell Sheppard
Pedro Medrano
Devonta Freeman
Mark Walton
Gartrell Shavers (would have easily ran for 2000 if he played on a good team)
John Mosure
Jakhari Gore
Daryl Chestnut
Lamar Miller (as talented as any of them, but never had a great game against a top team. His senior year, he never topped 100yds vs Columbus and NW, which were the only 2 good defenses that he faced)

The Columbus list lol.....also Pedro Medrano, funny

Freddie Miles (Signed with UM and didn't have grades. Was a freak for Miami Springs and I read somewhere that he played for the best team in their history where they had a team of around 20 players almost make the state title game).

Frank Gore
Duke Johnson
Joe Yearby
Dalvin Cook
Sedrick Irvin
Troy Davis
Darren Davis
Markeith Cooper
Buster Ryhmes
Antwain Easterling
Sean Taylor
Danyell Ferguson

Some of those RBs from the national championship teams of Coral Gables in the 60s and Miami High in the 40s should be on there.

Other names to consider:

Corey Kinsey
Najeh Davenport
Darrell Sheppard
Pedro Medrano
Devonta Freeman
Mark Walton
John Mosure
Jakhari Gore
Daryl Chestnut
Lamar Miller (as talented as any of them, but never had a great game against a top team. His senior year, he never topped 100yds vs Columbus and NW, which were the only 2 good defenses that he faced)

Sheppard had offers from anywhere in the country. Butch Davis came to columbus to talk to him. He was recruited heavily by USC and is the one of the only Miami-Dade prospects that Pete Carroll ever recruited. People forget that both Frank and Roscoe were set to go to Ole Miss about a week or two before signing day in 01. Mosure won a national player of the year award. Chestnut was all-dade and all-state, and had very good games against Central, STA, and NW. Gore was a 4-year starter and was a 1st team all-dade selection since his sophomore season.

Medrano wasn't a good prospect, but he put up career numbers while playing for a garbage Braddock. In-fact, his numbers were better than Davenport's, Miller, and a other names that are on that list, who are remembered as some of the best backs in the history of Dade.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Frank Gore
Duke Johnson
Joe Yearby
Dalvin Cook
Sedrick Irvin
Troy Davis
Darren Davis
Markeith Cooper
Buster Ryhmes
Antwain Easterling
Sean Taylor
Danyell Ferguson

Other names to consider:

Corey Kinsey
Najeh Davenport
Darrell Sheppard
Pedro Medrano
Devonta Freeman
Mark Walton
John Mosure
Jakhari Gore
Daryl Chestnut

Sheppard had offers from anywhere in the country. Butch Davis came to columbus to talk to him. He was recruited heavily by USC and is the one of the only Miami-Dade prospects that Pete Carroll ever recruited. People forget that both Frank and Roscoe were set to go to Ole Miss about a week or two before signing day in 01. Mosure won a national player of the year award. Chestnut was all-dade and all-state, and had very good games against Central, STA, and NW. Gore was a 4-year starter and was a 1st team all-dade selection since his sophomore season.

Medrano wasn't a good prospect, but he put up career numbers while playing for a garbage Braddock. In-fact, his numbers were better than Davenport's, Miller, and a other names that are on that list, who are remembered as some of the best backs in the history of Dade.

Yep.. i remember.. cause Butch didnt want to offer Roscoe cause he said he was too short n light in weight.... but when he left Coker came to see Roscoe and offered him.. thats why the switch.... can u inagine tho, eli manning, gore and Roscoe at ole miss????

I played pop warner with Gore and Roscoe.... Gore started out at TE, n Roscoe was electric at WR always...

All of the aforementioned deserve to be on the list.

Mitch Greene was something else for Miami Springs in the early 90's. Kid was a freak.

Advertisement
Cmon man...I'm a Columbus homer as i went to school there but Mosure, Chestnut, J Gore, and Sheppard as all timers? Columbus all timers yes but not Dade all timers. Throw Mike Reddick in there as he and Danyell were the best Explorer backs ever.

Cmon man...I'm a Columbus homer as i went to school there but Mosure, Chestnut, J Gore, and Sheppard as all timers? Columbus all timers yes but not Dade all timers. Throw Mike Reddick in there as he and Danyell were the best Explorer backs ever.

How do you figure with Reddick? A decent prospect, but most people at Columbus rarely mention his name. What top school did he have an elite performance against? Mosure, Sheppard, Gore and Chestnut had better games against top SFL opponents. All of those players received all-dade/all-state accolades. I don't think they make list of the best RBs to ever play in Dade, but they're definitely in the conversation for the tier below.

Sheppard had offers from EVERYWHERE, and was a better prospect than some of the all-timers. Injuries and not qualifying derailed his career.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Maybe no one talks about Reddick because he played there over 20 years ago. JMO but he and Ferguson were a dynamic duo both eclipsing 1000 yards while splitting carries and only a hair below the Davis brothers duo in Dade county football in the early 90s. Reddick also got a schollie to USCe.

Maybe no one talks about Reddick because he played there over 20 years ago. JMO but he and Ferguson were a dynamic duo both eclipsing 1000 yards while splitting carries and only a hair below the Davis brothers duo in Dade county football in the early 90s. Reddick also got a schollie to USCe.

Ferguson's name gets brought up.

Chestnut and Woodley both had over 1K in 2012. Gore and Jones both had over 1K in 2007.

Reddick was supposedly very good, but he didn't receive the type of offers that were earned by Sheppard, Gore, or even Chestnut.

I'll say this...this back and forth has made me realize that Columbus has had some **** good running backs roll through that program. I'll put their stable of backs over the last 25 years against any school.

Advertisement
I'll say this...this back and forth has made me realize that Columbus has had some **** good running backs roll through that program. I'll put their stable of backs over the last 25 years against any school.

I agree.

Alonzo Highsmith was the drafted higher than any other RB in SFL history, and I don't think that he played RB for Columbus (played DE).

They've had a BCS caliber back every year since 2006.

Last edited:

I agree.

Alonzo Highsmith was the drafted higher than any other RB in SFL history, and I don't think that he played RB for Columbus (played DE).

They've had a BCS caliber back every year since 2006.

Idnt knw about that, Ill go with Southridge... they had Sedrick Irvin (Detroit Lions), Troy Davis (New Orleans Saints), Darren Davis (Iowa St.), Jason Davis (Iowa St.), Curtis Cannon (JUCO), Marion Jackson (Youngstown St.), and Brandon Oliver (San Diego Chargers)...all were all state selections and played college football

I know these are all dade running backs....but I will take Keith Wilkerson over all of them.
I would take travis henry over anyone out of Florida at rb.
Uncle played against him at frostproof i believe. Said he had 200+ and 3tds at half of district championship

Moved to PC the year He was puttin' up all those numbers, and I remember a game where He ran for 300+ & 5 TDs...and they lost.

Sheppard and Gore had the best dual I have seen in person and Shep came out on top. Cory was the 3rd best back in dade that year.

Glad somebody mentioned my boy Cory Kinsey... he was my classmatr still cool till this day.... him and Frank were the top RBs in Dade County from about 1999-2001 along with Mcgahee n a few others .... both were monsters... we were the only team to hold Frank to under 100 yards his senior year..he had 85 to be exact while Corey ran for about 195 against him and we beat Gables that year too.. Corey was just short about 5'6 180....

Advertisement
Back