Dabo adding serious coaching talent....

Exactly the same type of stuff I have heard from the Clemson fans I know. On both accounts - before they got good (learned a lot at that 2008 game @ Clemson, which might have been the last time we beat them); and in the last few months as they've struggled for the first time and started to lose coaches.
Funniest thing I can remember was signing day morning when Rashan Gary didn’t sign with Michigan immediately and the reports were Clemson was reaching out.

I asked what was going on and all I heard back was, “idk how any kid could turn down the offer that was made.”

Advertisement
I agree with your posts for the most part, but I’m asking this question seriously.

What “wrong lessons” have they learned?

What wrong things have they attributed to their success?

I’m really interested in what you think those are. I think it’s a fascinating topic for a conversation.
I think, and this is based on conversations, what they have learned is that Dabo is a "gawd" and as long as they have him, they're good to go. I don't think they accurately remember what life was like for them back in 2008, and what it took to build their success, and that it was far more than just bringing in "the right coach". I think they believe they have some kind of magical chemistry on that campus and that people just love it so much there and that Dabo is such a genius at creating a family atmosphere and winning chemistry - they think that's all they need. Just keep Dabo and keep doing whatever he wants, and everything will be great.

It's pure psychology. Misattribution bias. https://askingthelot.com/what-is-misattribution-in-psychology/

They truly think that all of their success is directly attributed to Dabo, and have forgotten all of the other critical pieces that it took for them to do what they did.

Think about it this way - say UM had hired Dabo in 2007 instead of Randy Shannon. You think Dabo would still be coaching here?

Dabo is a creation of Clemson - not the other way around. A whole lot of things happened around the same time he got hired. All, of those other "things" were essentially the same type of civil war program revolution we are hopefully going through right now. Their big money fans finally got fed up getting creamed by the SEC all the time and soothing themselves with "well at least we do things the right way - the SEC is just a bunch of cheaters." The finally decided, "if you can't beat them join them and then hopefully beat them."
Not saying this is inaccurate, but LMAO that Clempson's high-dollar boosters "finally decided" cheating was a necessary evil.

This from fans of a football program that won a National Title way back in 1981 under Danny Ford, whose program got hit twice for NCAA recruiting violations.

Just like Nole fans who cry about those "SEC cheaters" when the Free Shoes legacy was built by Bowden and carried on by Fisher.

Last edited:
Not saying this is inaccurate, but LMAO that Clempson's high-dollar boosters "finally decided" cheating was a necessary evil.

This from fans of a football program that won a National Title way back in 1981 under Danny Ford, whose program got hit twice for NCAA recruiting violations.

Just like Nole fans who cry about those "SEC cheaters" when the Free Shoes legacy was built by Bowden and carried on by Fisher.
100%. Let me tell you they still say this now. Father in law and another Clemson booster over drinks in a bar within the last couple of months were telling me about how much they enjoyed a recent Dabo speech about how they do all things "the right way" and that, "it's not worth winning if you're not doing it the right way". It was one of the most difficult moments of my life to keep a straight face, not let me eyeballs roll out of my head and keep my whiskey from spurting out my nose. They were dead ******* serious.

What happened circa 2008 is that they cumulatively decided to say "**** it". And they did whatever it took. Money poured into the school, and into the players' pockets like never before in program history. I honestly believe they've spent their load, filled their bellies, and they are pretty well satisfied with themselves. This is not to say they've stopped caring or stopped paying players, just that the energy isn't the same as when they were fed up at a fever pitch, and then on the ascendency. At the same time, their fan base is so enamored with Dabo and his phony bull**** that they truly believe all of their success is due to him, and as long as they give him whatever he asks for, everything will be fine.

It's over for them.

Bruno-2.gif

I think, and this is based on conversations, what they have learned is that Dabo is a "gawd" and as long as they have him, they're good to go. I don't think they accurately remember what life was like for them back in 2008, and what it took to build their success, and that it was far more than just bringing in "the right coach". I think they believe they have some kind of magical chemistry on that campus and that people just love it so much there and that Dabo is such a genius at creating a family atmosphere and winning chemistry - they think that's all they need. Just keep Dabo and keep doing whatever he wants, and everything will be great.

It's pure psychology. Misattribution bias. https://askingthelot.com/what-is-misattribution-in-psychology/

They truly think that all of their success is directly attributed to Dabo, and have forgotten all of the other critical pieces that it took for them to do what they did.

Think about it this way - say UM had hired Dabo in 2007 instead of Randy Shannon. You think Dabo would still be coaching here?

Excellent reply.

I totally understand what you’re saying, your basic assumption being that “Dabo worship“ exists and is substituting itself for a rational thought and a plan of action. In other words, they are misattributing the reasons for their success, and in doing so ensuring their future failure or at least their future lack of the same high level of productivity.

You could very well be right.

I honestly feel, which is in relation to this, that the events in Miami in the last few months are excellent news for us.

Not necessarily just because we hired Mario, although that’s part of it, but more importantly, because we’ve identified the correct factors to lead us back to prominence, which as it sounds from your post, is something Clemson has forgotten. Plausible use of the misattribution bias rationale. Could very well be what’s happening in Clempsen.

Advertisement

I think the poster you’re referring to can defend his own posts, all I’m saying is that not so much that they needed to start cheating, because every P5 college has been cheating to some extent in terms of paying players, for at least the last 50 years. My interpretation is that they at that time decided to turn on the afterburners with the cheating and the infusion of money.

In other words, they supersized the cheating.

Yeah ***** them. The acc was ripe for the pluck bc we fell off. Look how many players from fla put them at an elite level. Im around alot of their fans and had to listen to that all in crap for years and I would always just say it's only a matter of time for us to rise and them fall. They always laughed like it was always going to be good for them but never realized as a cane fan I'd already been were they were headed

Excellent reply.

I totally understand what you’re saying, your basic assumption being that “Dabo worship“ exists and is substituting itself for a rational thought and a plan of action. In other words, they are misattributing the reasons for their success, and in doing so ensuring their future failure or at least their future lack of the same high level of productivity.

You could very well be right.

I honestly feel, which is in relation to this, that the events in Miami in the last few months are excellent news for us.

Not necessarily just because we hired Mario, although that’s part of it, but more importantly, because we’ve identified the correct factors to lead us back to prominence, which as it sounds from your post, is something Clemson has forgotten. Plausible use of the misattribution bias rationale. Could very well be what’s happening in Clempsen.
Thank you, sir.

It's easy to diagnose your own disease in another once you've recovered. We went through something very similar, after all.

I agree with you. I am so relieved to be at the point where our fan base, prominent boosters, and administration finally realize as a relative consensus what our problem has been all along and are working together to put together the entire machine that it's going to take for Miami to be "back". It's never been about just a coach, although we wasted well over a decade chasing that illusion.

Yeah ***** them. The acc was ripe for the pluck bc we fell off. Look how many players from fla put them at an elite level. Im around alot of their fans and had to listen to that all in crap for years and I would always just say it's only a matter of time for us to rise and them fall. They always laughed like it was always going to be good for them but never realized as a cane fan I'd already been were they were headed
This man gets it.

I just hope it happens fast. I got kids who need to grow up with the Canes being a version of what I got to grow up with, and a dad who deserves to see us win one more time before the good Lord takes him.

Advertisement
Don't have a problem with programs "buying" players any more than with schools buying coaches or schools buying facilities.

College football is a sausage-making business — all about the end product, so who really cares about the process that leads to it.

The issue is fans (like, in this thread, those delusional boosters from Clemson) insisting their schools run clean programs while their rivals are out of control cheaters.

Anybody with a half a brain knows Swinney is getting in done in recruiting with the same tactic$ as the rest of the elite programs in this part of the country (and elsewhere).

He's just been a lot better at the other parts of the job than the corches who get fired for not winning enough.

Last edited:
Perfect example of how clumzon fans think and why they are so ****ed. It took a village to achieve the success they have experienced. But one man gleefully and cheerfully stood out front of the parade and took all the credit with his aw shucks bull**** and "all in" slogan. Now, they believe all they have to do to continue to thrive is "trust in Dabo". This is exactly how things go wrong.

Anyone who closely followed Miami in the 80's, 90's and first half of 2000's knows exactly what I'm talking about.
Or, perhaps you just wait and see since this is new territory?

Good thing those dumb Tuscaloosa people “trust in Nick” after he loses people.

Need to see how it plays out. I think he is a good coach.

Advertisement
Exactly the same type of stuff I have heard from the Clemson fans I know. On both accounts - before they got good (learned a lot at that 2008 game @ Clemson, which might have been the last time we beat them); and in the last few months as they've struggled for the first time and started to lose coaches.

We beat em' in 2010, but that was before Elliott, Scott, & Venables got there. And to me, their run started in 2011 with the aforementioned 3 coordinators, and Tajh Boyd at QB. Once they changed their offensive & defensive philosophies, and added a succession of dynamic QBs, they took off.

Last edited:
Not reading this thread. There’s a lot of bad blood is South Carolina right now. Jimbo’s exit from Tallahassee will mirror Dabo’s from Clemson when it’s over. I still believe he wants to move on to the nfl this season if the opportunity presents itself. However, when he leaves clemson, he’s leaving it with bad coaches and roster numbers. It’s happening… sucks for them. He’s setting them up. A bad season, if he stays, won’t hurt his value on the open market.

Last edited:
Or, perhaps you just wait and see since this is new territory?

Good thing those dumb Tuscaloosa people “trust in Nick” after he loses people.

Need to see how it plays out. I think he is a good coach.
Good for you. You’re wrong.

LOL at comparing Dabo to Nick Saban.

IDGAF if you believe me, just watch.

Advertisement
We beat em' in 2010, but that was before Elliott, Scott, & Venables got there. And to me, their run started in 2011 with the aforementioned 3 coordinators, and Tajh Boyd at QB. Once they changed their offensive & defensive philosophies, and added a succession of dynamic QBs, they took off.
Exactly. The elite QB story is a huge part of the Clemson story. And they’ve been remarkably lucky with QB health given the RB workload they put on their QB’s.

And thanks for the correction on the last time we beat them. As I was posting that, I had a feeling we’d beaten them once more, but at this point it’s so long ago regardless...

Good for you. You’re wrong.

LOL at comparing Dabo to Nick Saban.

IDGAF if you believe me, just watch.
Why so argumentative?

You think you are smarter than I? I don’t know you so perhaps you are.

At one time, a young Saban lost his people so good thing they didn’t think like you.

IDGAF if you believe me? What are you 13 years old?

For Dabo, this year could be the equivalent of Dennis Erickson's 94 season. Enough to make people think he's still good enough to have a shot at the NFL, but not great so people can see the cracks in the facade.

Advertisement
Back