Dabo adding serious coaching talent....

Advertisement
idk about that. they have a decent program history but the run they put together this last decade my be an outlier instead of the norm going forward.
One could also reasonably conclude that the Miami stretch of just over ten years was the outlier going forward. At least until this most recent change in management.

To summarize…Dabo has become dumb overnight and he sucks but 99% of the people would take him as their coach in a heartbeat.

He lucked into QBs, DLs, WRs, OC, DC, etc but let’s see if he keeps getting lucky. Everyone had lucky stretches of 6+ years

LOL, that’s a great summary. Anyone who believes Clemson is going away with Dabo as HC and the talent he has on roster is engaging in wishful thinking.

But I do agree he seems to be dealing with an admin that isn’t giving him the budget he needs to draw in top staff talent. Dabo may be that good of a staff evaluator that it doesn’t matter and these guys are the next wave of great coaches and football minds. But it’s hard to get by on good judgment alone. He needs some proven staff talent and has none. And where are the recruiters? Could be a long Coker like slide into mediocrity. We’ll see.

Someone’s got to win the Atlantic and as long as it’s not FSU, I don’t really care.

Advertisement
Name one National Championship team in the past 20 years that wasn’t paying players?

why is that relevant? My point had nothing to do with the morality of paying players. I was just pointing out how they spent that money and where they focused since they don’t have the bags that Alabama and Georgia have to just load up at every position.

Wassup North Florida Canesfam!!

Malone still got that killa fried chicken in the IGA deli? Used to wear that yardbird out back in the day!

Fried Chicken Eating GIF
I do remember that store. But I have to say that I never had the chicken. My family was legit Country poor and never got any prepared food. Really surprises me that people are familiar with that one stop light town. I spent a lot of summers there picking beans, corn, peanuts, etc.

I’d say it’s way too soon to write Clemson off. They were a very average program before Dabo took over and he built them into a perennial contender / multiple time champion. Their 3 losses were tight (by a touchdown to GA, double-OT at NC State, and at Pitt by 10) after losing half their starting offense to the draft.

If they win their bowl, it’ll be another 10 win season. In all but one year out of the last 16, that would have been a good year for us.

And I’m hopeful they rebound. Having a strong Clemson in the Atlantic is a good thing for us when we have to compete in the court of public opinion about the ACC once Mario brings us back to elite.

How they do next year with all the turnover will be pivotal though.
I agree they won’t fall off the cliff but there are not good signs there. They also Won 4 1-score games. Losing so much on their staff is bound to hurt as dabo hasn’t gone out like Saban and hired top guys

Advertisement
The AD, previous to Radakovich, was known to be cheap. Remember, Dabo was the WR coach before he became the head coach. They could be settling back in their old ways.
Dabo is a creation of Clemson - not the other way around. A whole lot of things happened around the same time he got hired. All, of those other "things" were essentially the same type of civil war program revolution we are hopefully going through right now. Their big money fans finally got fed up getting creamed by the SEC all the time and soothing themselves with "well at least we do things the right way - the SEC is just a bunch of cheaters." The finally decided, "if you can't beat them join them and then hopefully beat them."

This was all evidenced by photos of recruits with new cars and stacks of cash, new facilities being built on campus, including slides, and lots and lots of rumors about money laundering and paying players. It was also accompanied by clumzon becoming the case study for changing the salary dynamics for elite assistant coaches. It was those elite coordinators and assistants who stuck around for a very long time, that pushed them over the top.

They could always find lightning in a bottle with promoting an offensive or defensive genius from within - but long term, that program has learned a lot of the wrong lessons from their success. They've attributed their success to the wrong things. They are in trouble.

Dabo gives long term friend an irrelevant job and y’all melt down. Dabo may have lost his fire and could suck **** next season and then retire and guess what? He still goes down as one of the GOATs of this generation.

I understand that, but this outlier time their people has given dabo everythkng he’s wanted and it happened before rad! Let’s see, Like I said let’s hope our admin keeps doing what we need to do
I keep seeing this argument, but it didn't happen before Rad. Rad started at clumzon in 2012. They didn't win their first championship until 2016. Without Rad, clumzon never keeps Venables there for that long. Radakovich was essential in getting them over the hump in a myriad of ways.

I don't want to ever see this debunked argument on here again without a disinformation warning label being slapped on it.

This may be arguing semantics but six straight conference championships, six years finishing ranked in the top 4 with 2 Nattys isn't an "outlier". Coach O's LSU natty is an "outlier".

Whether Clemson / Dabo are able to sustain it remains to be seen but every school not named Bama would've taken that "outlier" over the 6 seasons before this one.
It is arguing semantics - and the only point the quoted poster was making was that this recent run of success is an outlier in the longer view of the program's history.

They've enjoyed a great few years, and I hope they enjoyed it (well, not really cause **** them), because when you believe that type of success has become a birth right, mean reversion is ****. I think we all know this from personal experience...

Advertisement
Dabo is a creation of Clemson - not the other way around. A whole lot of things happened around the same time he got hired. All, of those other "things" were essentially the same type of civil war program revolution we are hopefully going through right now. Their big money fans finally got fed up getting creamed by the SEC all the time and soothing themselves with "well at least we do things the right way - the SEC is just a bunch of cheaters." The finally decided, "if you can't beat them join them and then hopefully beat them."

This was all evidenced by photos of recruits with new cars and stacks of cash, new facilities being built on campus, including slides, and lots and lots of rumors about money laundering and paying players. It was also accompanied by clumzon becoming the case study for changing the salary dynamics for elite assistant coaches. It was those elite coordinators and assistants who stuck around for a very long time, that pushed them over the top.

They could always find lightning in a bottle with promoting an offensive or defensive genius from within - but long term, that program has learned a lot of the wrong lessons from their success. They've attributed their success to the wrong things. They are in trouble.
This is correct. I know a couple of kids that were plugged in at Clemson around that time. One texted me and said they got fed up they couldn’t get over the FSU and SEC hump so they started “playing the game at an SEC level.”

Same one texted me when Rad left for Miami that, “he got out at the right time.” Said the admin and Dabo are so full of themselves they feel like they can win with any coaches if they paid enough. He’s expecting a big downfall with these new guys being promoted.

To summarize…Dabo has become dumb overnight and he sucks but 99% of the people would take him as their coach in a heartbeat.

He lucked into QBs, DLs, WRs, OC, DC, etc but let’s see if he keeps getting lucky. Everyone had lucky stretches of 6+ years
Perfect example of how clumzon fans think and why they are so ****ed. It took a village to achieve the success they have experienced. But one man gleefully and cheerfully stood out front of the parade and took all the credit with his aw shucks bull**** and "all in" slogan. Now, they believe all they have to do to continue to thrive is "trust in Dabo". This is exactly how things go wrong.

Anyone who closely followed Miami in the 80's, 90's and first half of 2000's knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Advertisement
This is correct. I know a couple of kids that were plugged in at Clemson around that time. One texted me and said they got fed up they couldn’t get over the FSU and SEC hump so they started “playing the game at an SEC level.”

Same one texted me when Rad left for Miami that, “he got out at the right time.” Said the admin and Dabo are so full of themselves they feel like they can win with any coaches if they paid enough. He’s expecting a big downfall with these new guys being promoted.
Exactly the same type of stuff I have heard from the Clemson fans I know. On both accounts - before they got good (learned a lot at that 2008 game @ Clemson, which might have been the last time we beat them); and in the last few months as they've struggled for the first time and started to lose coaches.

Their 2022 version has some serious talent. Right up there with 2020 imo.
Yeah, but the back 7 isn't as good as it's been in the past. The DL doesn't look as good when WR's are getting open and RB's are making LB's miss.

……They could always find lightning in a bottle with promoting an offensive or defensive genius from within - but long term, that program has learned a lot of the wrong lessons from their success. They've attributed their success to the wrong things. They are in trouble.

I agree with your posts for the most part, but I’m asking this question seriously.

What “wrong lessons” have they learned?

What wrong things have they attributed to their success?

I’m really interested in what you think those are. I think it’s a fascinating topic for a conversation.

last season wasn't terrible if you consider the QB they were dealing with. venebels will be a loss for sure. I am no Clemson fan but I wouldn't dance on their grave just yet.

Advertisement
Back