D1 & BA projections.

BA has us at 9 paired with College Park. They make a good point about Maryland being vulnerable with a loss to Indiana. I would have a hard time justifying them over Southern Miss if they win the CUSA tournament in that scenario. The other teams in our regional are Florida, old friends Rutgers, and Hofstra.
What’s your take on OU? If they win the tourney is there any shot they sneak in the 8 spot? I have no idea how to calculate the RPI.

Advertisement
What’s your take on OU? If they win the tourney is there any shot they sneak in the 8 spot? I have no idea how to calculate the RPI.
I’m thinking no. K State doesn’t move the needle much. Even if I give them 30 pts for OSU or Texas, that’s 22nd in the RPI.

1-1 in this tournament still wouldn’t have been a lock. 4-2 over the last two weekends would have been a lock. Winning the ACC reg season was what we needed.

We will need ND to lose today, USM to lose, and OU to win the Big 12 to get the 8. But as I said before, top 8 doesn’t matter as much as the draw. We should be worried about drawing a regional that we can win.
If we had beat WF, our RPI would be in the top 8 and we would be a lock. We're on the borerline of a top 8 with losing 2, so winning 1 would have secured a top 8.

Everything else I agree with including it doesn't really matter unless the team pulls a regional out if their ***.

I think Florida wins our regional. They're playing well and we're not. Hope I'm wrong.

For those that hate being in a regional with Florida, there are only 2 ways we're not in the same regional and that is if we both are hosts or neither is a host. If only one of us is a host, we are always going to be in the same regional because the NCAA tries to put teams geographically in the same region whenever possible.

Last edited:
I said that the ACC tournament mattered all last week and was ridiculed. It was quite simple. Win 1-2 games we were a top 8 lock. Win the the ACC tournament and we move to 2-3. Lose 2, and we're likely out of the top 8.

It will be interesting if ND loses today. If they win and get to the ACC title game, they probably lock up a top 8 seed. Lose and the committee could take them or us in the top 8. I think the ACC gets 2 teams in the top 8.

A nugget the NCAA tournament committee has to consider is Miami beat 3 of the semi-final teams during the regular season. Miami is 7-3 against all the semifinalists.
Let’s not revise history too much. I had to explain to you that 0-2 would be unacceptable when you were trying to save our best pitcher for the semifinal, which we’re not playing in.

The play all along was to beat NC State. Period. Advancing from our pool was a must. But we’re not good enough to do that.

Advertisement
Don’t look now but If Carolina can hold on against ND, USM loses, OSU beats Texas then, loses to OU, and Maryland loses to Indiana we still have an outside shot at 8.

Let’s not revise history too much. I had to explain to you that 0-2 would be unacceptable when you were trying to save our best pitcher for the semifinal, which we’re not playing in.

The play all along was to beat NC State. Period. Advancing from our pool was a must. But we’re not good enough to do that.
If we can't advance out of pool play . . .

Id say based on message board rhetoric the Canes will not advance with Florida in their regional. Additionally, maybe we just are not that good. Regionals indicate top 64 which we clearly are. Making super is top 16 which we may or may not be at the end of the season . . .

Don’t look now but If Carolina can hold on against ND, USM loses, OSU beats Texas then, loses to OU, and Maryland loses to Indiana we still have an outside shot at 8.
Im starting to think top 8 won't matter this season . . . Based on board here.

Advertisement
It all depends on our regional draw. But yes you are probably correct. Just updating the current situation.

Is this Tennessee team better than the best Canes team not to win a title? Meeks was at second base . . . his junior year with several other studs. That Miami team, **** how did Fresno State win it all that year? How did they even get out of the regional . . . I digress! It just feels like Tennessee is the **** this year, and Im wondering if they carry the same clout we had back then.

Is this Tennessee team better than the best Canes team not to win a title? Meeks was at second base . . . his junior year with several other studs. That Miami team, **** how did Fresno State win it all that year? How did they even get out of the regional . . . I digress! It just feels like Tennessee is the **** this year, and Im wondering if they carry the same clout we had back then.
Our 2008 team is the best team I’ve seen that didn’t win a title. Just a disaster our performance in Omaha.

I’ve only seen Tenn play twice this year and they lost one of those games. @IndayArtHauz can probably answer that for you.

I think at the end of all this, we want it to be between us and ND. The committee would basically have to throw out the regular season for ND’s two extra wins in the tournament.

The metrics will be similar, slightly lower RPI for us, but significantly better record vs RPI top 25 teams.

A Pitt-UNC final would be a boost too, considering we went 5-1 vs those two.

Advertisement
I think at the end of all this, we want it to be between us and ND. The committee would basically have to throw out the regular season for ND’s two extra wins in the tournament.

The metrics will be similar, slightly lower RPI for us, but significantly better record vs RPI top 25 teams.

A Pitt-UNC final would be a boost too, considering we went 5-1 vs those two.
I think that’s our only chance. No way IMO the ACC gets 3 bids. So we need it to be us and them so we can lean on the series win. They screwed themselves leaving 2 more wins out there, the same way we did earlier this week.

If we can't advance out of pool play . . .

Id say based on message board rhetoric the Canes will not advance with Florida in their regional. Additionally, maybe we just are not that good. Regionals indicate top 64 which we clearly are. Making super is top 16 which we may or may not be at the end of the season . . .
We’d have a chance against Florida if we threw Walters. That’s our shot.

Advertisement
Im pulling for Turds tonight. I know sacrilege. I want them to play another game. Momentum is awesome, but if you are too worn out you got a SECT and an otherwise anonymous post season:)

Im pulling for Turds tonight. I know sacrilege. I want them to play another game. Momentum is awesome, but if you are too worn out you got a SECT and an otherwise anonymous post season:)
We need them to keep winning so they host and stay out of our regional. But be careful saying you’re pulling for them, I made that mistake earlier. Just say you hope they win lmao

What’s the difference in formula for D1’s RPI and Warren Nolan? D1 has USM at 14 even after the loss. Seems like they are the only one that’s way off from everyone else’s. Might be the reason they were the only ones that’s had USM as a top 8 coming into this week. At least the only projection that I remember.

What’s the difference in formula for D1’s RPI and Warren Nolan? D1 has USM at 14 even after the loss. Seems like they are the only one that’s way off from everyone else’s. Might be the reason they were the only ones that’s had USM as a top 8 coming into this week. At least the only projection that I remember.
Could be that they’re not as “live” as Warren Nolan. It took them quite a while to update the ND loss. It’s also possible they’re handling Southern Miss home/neutral differently with a conference tourney in their ballpark.

Advertisement
Back