D1 & BA projections.

Fair enough, but you’d like to think 45 wins would be enough to get you a 2 seed somewhere, if not a 3 seed nearer their “region.”

As long as I’m on that subject - in the era where certain teams are chartering flights, what’s the point of having “regionals?” It’s not like travel is an issue, even for the smallest most cash-strapped schools. Just rank them 1-64.
Agree 100%. 43-13 is legit no matter the conference. Uconn will be a tough out. And….1000% agree on let’s just rank them 1-64. Tired of the annual Gator v Cane regional.

Advertisement
These projections/regional pairings make no sense at all and would be a slap in the face to college baseball, although that is what we've come to expect. Us potentially opposite ND, Oregon St opposite Oregon, etc. - how boring.

I sure hope the NCAA shows a little more respect this year and doesn't worry about travel costs, COVID or some such b.s. College baseball playoffs in the regionals and supers are some of the most exciting of any of the college sports (certainly more entertaining than CFB), because there's the potential for rivalries and someone is always at home.

New D1 5-26

Attachments

• 9020F45F-602A-45C1-BC4D-D1C9DB750849.png
    9020F45F-602A-45C1-BC4D-D1C9DB750849.png
    738.5 KB · Views: 59
Advertisement
Advertisement
If we’re gonna be the 9 seed, that’s not a bad draw at all for a super.

Granted, we struggle on the road but Southern Miss had had some ugly losses/series too.

Better than being sent to some SEC site if we somehow win our regional.

If we’re gonna be the 9 seed, that’s not a bad draw at all for a super.

Granted, we struggle on the road but Southern Miss had had some ugly losses/series too.

Better than being sent to some SEC site if we somehow win our regional.
It won’t be USM. We’ll be matched with Texas or ND if they win.

Advertisement
Or Oklahoma State. Anyone up for Rosario vs Mederos in the Supers?
I don’t see it being OSU. Even if they win this weekend, they’d need a lot of help to get to 8 IMO. I see 10 as their ceiling. You never know though.

I don’t see it being OSU. Even if they win this weekend, they’d need a lot of help to get to 8 IMO. I see 10 as their ceiling. You never know though.
If they beat Texas twice today (they’re well on their way to the first) and presumably Oklahoma tomorrow, they should be Top 6 or 7 in the RPI with a 20-10 aggregate Big 12 record and 15-14 Q1. Feels like a pretty good case to me.

Advertisement
If they beat Texas twice today (they’re well on their way to the first) and presumably Oklahoma tomorrow, they should be Top 6 or 7 in the RPI with a 20-10 aggregate Big 12 record and 15-14 Q1. Feels like a pretty good case to me.
You’re exactly right. I did all this math for everyone but them and I missed it. Already back in top 15 after that win last night. I think I already counted them out against Texas.

BA has us at 9 paired with College Park. They make a good point about Maryland being vulnerable with a loss to Indiana. I would have a hard time justifying them over Southern Miss if they win the CUSA tournament in that scenario. The other teams in our regional are Florida, old friends Rutgers, and Hofstra.

RPI down to 15. This whole “ACCT doesn’t matter” mindset needs to be driven out of this program and this fan base.
I said that the ACC tournament mattered all last week and was ridiculed. It was quite simple. Win 1-2 games we were a top 8 lock. Win the the ACC tournament and we move to 2-3. Lose 2, and we're likely out of the top 8.

It will be interesting if ND loses today. If they win and get to the ACC title game, they probably lock up a top 8 seed. Lose and the committee could take them or us in the top 8. I think the ACC gets 2 teams in the top 8.

A nugget the NCAA tournament committee has to consider is Miami beat 3 of the semi-final teams during the regular season. Miami is 7-3 against all the semifinalists.

Last edited:
I said that it mattered all last week and was ridiculed. It was quite simple. Win 1-2 games we were a top 8 lock. Win the the ACC tournament and we move to 2-3. Lose 2, and we're likely out of the top 8.

It will be interesting if ND loses today. If they win and get to the ACC title game, they're probably lock up a top 8 seed. Lose and the committee could take them or us in the top 8. I think the ACC gets 2 teams in the top 8.
1-1 in this tournament still wouldn’t have been a lock. 4-2 over the last two weekends would have been a lock. Winning the ACC reg season was what we needed.

We will need ND to lose today, USM to lose, and OU to win the Big 12 to get the 8. But as I said before, top 8 doesn’t matter as much as the draw. We should be worried about drawing a regional that we can win.

Advertisement
Back