D$

Advertisement
I can't wait to see this board when it wakes up to the news that the BOT has told James that it wants Mario.

The Press Conference will be a complete board meltdown.

I'm sorry. I can't trust this Administration to handle a two-car funeral.

I'm obviously not D Money but I had a really interesting conversation yesterday with someone in my club section. He told me that he is a local coach and seems to know Duke's mom, Artie's family among others. The way he told the story yesterday, the decision to hire Butch has already been made and that the contract details are currently being worked out. Won't be announced until the end of the season or after the bowl game (if applicable). This person told me that Butch is busy building a young energetic staff and that majority of the current coaching staff, other than Ice, will likely not be retained. It also sounded like Butch is going to be the figure head/CEO but the coordinators and coaches will really be running the show which sounds good assuming the right coaches are hired. Just passing this along.

Man I hope that cat you talked to is/has received accurate info because that's better than what I had hoped for. Only somewhat bad news is that the announcement won't be made until season end or Bowl season. The announcement needs to be made ASAP to generate excitement and positive discussions among recruits and long time Canes fans. When we step into living rooms kids will be ready to sign and you won't have to sell yourself as much.

Advertisement
I'm obviously not D Money but I had a really interesting conversation yesterday with someone in my club section. He told me that he is a local coach and seems to know Duke's mom, Artie's family among others. The way he told the story yesterday, the decision to hire Butch has already been made and that the contract details are currently being worked out. Won't be announced until the end of the season or after the bowl game (if applicable). This person told me that Butch is busy building a young energetic staff and that majority of the current coaching staff, other than Ice, will likely not be retained. It also sounded like Butch is going to be the figure head/CEO but the coordinators and coaches will really be running the show which sounds good assuming the right coaches are hired. Just passing this along.

Man I hope that cat you talked to is/has received accurate info because that's better than what I had hoped for. Only somewhat bad news is that the announcement won't be made until season end or Bowl season. The announcement needs to be made ASAP to generate excitement and positive discussions among recruits and long time Canes fans. When we step into living rooms kids will be ready to sign and you won't have to sell yourself as much.

We should wait until after the regular season. This announcement would distract the kids and coaching staff.

Nothing really new since my last post. They will conduct a full search but Butch has strong support from several key donors.
Posting that Butch Davis is going to be a figure head is something new, and which I actually do NOT believe.

Clearly "figure head" is disinformation.

Is this put out there so that UM Admin & BoTs are preparing the Butch critics for Butch's hire? They aren't that smart.

All in all, even as I'd love to hear any news about Butch impending hire, this "figure head" post has me doubting the veracity of canesbaby chat.

somewhat bad news is that the [new coach] announcement won't be made until season end or Bowl season. The announcement needs to be made ASAP to generate excitement and positive discussions among recruits and long time Canes fans. When we step into living rooms kids will be ready to sign and you won't have to sell yourself as much.
We should wait until after the regular season. This announcement would distract the kids and coaching staff.

We haven't really lost recruits other than 2 who had already been on the fence and or had been previously courted heavily Onion.

Players distracted? Why distract? Would they still be "distracted" if they were not on this two-game winning streak with possibly more wins to add to this streak? If their winning ways end with another blow out by UNC considering we have better athletes, then do you hasten the announcement?

Advertisement
When I look at the macro situation from distance I see the hiring of Butch Davis as sort of a no brainer for UM.

The level of visceral anger that came from fans across the spectrum within the UM community was allowed to fester for far too long. It manifested itself into an anti UM administration and pro-Butch movement. Hiring Butch ensures that both Blake James and Vincente' Fox will officially be off the hook for the next five years worth of on-field results. They will have given the masses exactly what they asked for.

If they hire anyone other than Butch Davis, then Blake James and Vincente Fox will still be "on the hook" for that hire. At least that's the way it appears to me.

I really have to disagree with this. In my opinion, hiring Butch is a long shot for some very solid reasons. 1 - some bad stuff went down on his watch at UNC. The NCAA has cleared him on the academic fraud stuff, but the Blake stuff is very problematic, especially in light of what we went through with the NCAA. 2 - he hasnt coached in 5 years. Why hasnt he even sniffed a head coaching job in that time? And please dont say he has turned anything down because he is waiting for the Miami job.

Fair points, Thommy.

I'll say this in response:

1) There will never be an administration that is more conscious of UM's PR image than the one that donna ran, yet during her time UM had its worst PR scandal ever. Im of the opinion that UM simply cannot concern itself with what the media and NCAA want to report about UM. If you win at the highest levels without cheating, all of the off field stuff becomes minimized.

To discount Butch because of what went down at UNC while not looking at what he did at UM seems like a skewed approach. Please note that Butch Davis led UM back from its worst NCAA sanctions ever. He took the helm when the program was at its lowest point (from both a talent and PR standpoint) and turned it into a cleanly run, well oiled program within 4 years. That too is on his resume, not just the UNC stuff.

2) As for Butch not fielding any offers in the past few years, I don't put much stock in that. I see Butch (post UNC) as being similar to Bobby Petrino after his first stint at Louisville. Petrino was still a **** good coach but his market value had decreased because of his personal scandal. He chose to take a lower level gig at Western Kentucky, cleaned up his PR image and within 3-4 years he was back in the big time. I have no doubt that Butch could have landed a gig at Western Kentucky, Coastal Carolina, etc, but my guess it that he was at a place in his career where he didn't need to do that. As well, he landed a solid TV analyst gig.

I simply think Butch believed that he would either retire from coaching or wait for the UM gig to come his way again. Just my gut feel, no inside info though.

I think we make the announcement after and if we we're eliminated from the Coastal race. If we lose to UNC we are eliminated. Its good that way the players don't have Tk answer questions about a new coach while preparing for crucial games.

Nothing really new since my last post. They will conduct a full search but Butch has strong support from several key donors.
Posting that Butch Davis is going to be a figure head is something new, and which I actually do NOT believe.

Is this put out there so that UM Admin & BoTs are preparing the Butch critics for Butch's hire? They aren't that smart.

All in all, even as I'd love to hear any news about Butch impending hire, this "figure head" post has me doubting the veracity of canesbaby chat.

I asked the same question since it didn't sound right to me either. I guess maybe figure head wasn't the right way to describe it. I think what the guy was trying to tell me is that Butch would be the CEO who would mandate the culture and the attitude but would allow the offensive and defensive coaches to implement the strategy on a day to day basis. Basically, he would hire his guys who he knows would do it the way it needs to be done and cut them loose. Kind of like what Al Golden tried to sell us on but never really did.

Advertisement
I think D$ and team are not answering the Cristobal question because they have information to suggest that he will, indeed, be a part of the coaching staff. Maybe not the HC but possibly the HC in waiting with Butch. At least come out and say it and stop being so coy

I asked the same question since it didn't sound right to me either. I guess maybe figure head wasn't the right way to describe it. I think what the guy was trying to tell me is that Butch would be the CEO who would mandate the culture and the attitude but would allow the offensive and defensive coaches to implement the strategy on a day to day basis. Basically, he would hire his guys who he knows would do it the way it needs to be done and cut them loose. Kind of like what Al Golden tried to sell us on but never really did.

I think you've described it perfectly as that is exactly what a good CEO does. He sets the expectations, hires the people necessary to accomplish those expectations, supports them with whatever their needs are to be successful and holds them accountable for doing so. He doesn't get down in the trenches unless he sees a need or just wants to. If he has to, he's hired the wrong assistants.

Advertisement
I think D$ and team are not answering the Cristobal question because they have information to suggest that he will, indeed, be a part of the coaching staff. Maybe not the HC but possibly the HC in waiting with Butch. At least come out and say it and stop being so coy

Didn't Pete go to Columbus High- ie the same school as all the Cristobals? I'm beginning to think there's some protecting of one of their own going on around here.

Didn't Pete go to Columbus High- ie the same school as all the Cristobals? I'm beginning to think there's some protecting of one of their own going on around here.

Ahhh...it's all starting to come together. D$, are you complicit in all of this, old buddy?

Advertisement
Back