Current State of OLine Recruiting?

Umbra

Carolina Cane
I haven't seen much about our current OLine recruiting and think an update specifically for this position, especially with our current need, might be good.
Other than Washington, do we have any good traction with any other targets? Are we pursuing anyone else we have a chance with?

Here's a list of the current info I could gather from TOS:
Current Commits:
- Tarquin [OT] (284 Natl)
- Eguakun [OG] (781 Natl)

Targets:
- Darius Washington [OT] (618 Natl) - Hopefully we flip from MSU?
- Neal [OT] (25 Natl) - Likely miss
- Lucas [OG] (114 Natl) - FSPoo but Ivins still has a CB for us
- Ike [OT] (470 Natl) - 1/2 CBs for us.
- Brown [OT] (610 Natl) - 1/1 CBs for us

Other Targets: Wright, Putnam, Maurice Smith, C.J. Elmonus, Deyavie Hammond, Wardrick Wilson, Jakai Moore.

Advertisement
I don't think that we have talent issue, it's more technique and scheme. In the spread, the o-line held up against the run, but obviously against the pass was still bad. But, we had St.Louis out of place at LT, Jones and Mahoney who are both pedestrian at G, Donaldson out of position at RT, and freshman or Redshirt Freshman as depth. We don't need World beaters at O-Line, just a cohesive unit that stays consistent. If the scheme changes to shift from Richt's '80 ball we can make do with what we already have, granted our guys are playing the "right" position. Although I will say, Searles should be fired.

Advertisement
IMO we might be worse off than QB here lol.... At least we'll have 3 Young QBs on the roster next year with lots of potential for 1 spot. We have, what, Donaldson and Scaife to fill 2 out of 5 spots?

I might take that final step off the cliff if Searles is still here come spring ball.

But we've had no news about OL besides traction with Washington? No targets or people we are pursuing? ... Sigh.

The state is: we have only 2 commits and they both going to visit Florida next weekend.

The sad part is they are born gators fans but UF was a disaster coming into the season that they committed to us. Know we are the joke of town and they want back in UF

Advertisement
Hindenburg_disaster.jpg

We need at least 1 juco or grad transfer on the OL definately. Not sure what they are doing about it but for from the outside looking in we need a talent infusion at Tackle. And other than getting Neal we wont get it at Tackle.

CJ Elomnus looks to be a good developmental tackle..I would love for us to offer Maurice Smith from Miami Central as an interior prospect..possible center. Smith is Scaife-lite in that he has played alot of spots ont he OL and is a solid 6'2 kid with good feet and frame.

A class of below would be my dream class :

RT- Tarquin
RG- Kingsley
C-Maurice Smith
RG-Darius Washington
LT-Neal/ Grad Transfer/ JUCO

would be Elite. But i see us losing one of Tarquin/Kingsley and not getting Neal. So i hope they have provisions lined up.

Hopefully some of our guys can develop. We have some young dudes that can play and o line is a position full of late bloomers. Hillery started to come along and Campbbell could be good. Reed can also be good inside.

Advertisement
Recruiting wise we arent doing a good job there and its in part to what the state is producing. There are only 2 4 star tackles in the state of Florida and thats Tarquin and Neal. At guard there are 4 but 2 are cimmited to rivals and the other 2 might suck.

Advertisement
Couldn't even get a visit from Darnell Wright when we're supposedly his team growing up and the offer he was most excited about getting? Sad!

Advertisement
Back