Culture problem at Miami ?

Through 4 games there has been no accountability. How can fans see that Enos’ style of play isn’t working, but Manny doesn’t demand he change it. How can fans see Baker isn’t getting the job done and can’t get CMU off the field but Manny doesn’t take over play calling?

I know it’s a small sample size but so far there is no evidence Manny can change what is going on.

He literally said today the players were feeling themselves after beating Bethune Cookman and didn’t take CMU serious. That is 100% on the coaches how do you let that happen?

I agree that the offense has issues and adjustments need to be made to address our deficiencies. I don't necessarily dislike the offensive scheme, but a lot of it isn't working due to our OL issues.

On defense, it's much more difficult to assess. For all we know, what we are seeing is already specifically designed to address our deficiencies. I can't say with much certainty that we would be performing better if we were running different plays.

As for your last comment, this is exactly the point of this thread. Miami teams have had this issue every year for 15+ years through multiple coaching staffs. I think it's a bigger issue that requires more time to fix. Manny addressed and largely fixed this issue on the defensive side of the ball when he was DC. The issue still remains on offense and is going to take some time to fix.

Advertisement
TNM
1569260421781.gif

It’s the entire University, but mostly the admin and BOT.

Started w Shalala and hasn’t changed.
Shalala at least tried to improve academics. She really had almost nothing to do with athletics and we've had horrible ADs since Sam left. Now, everything seems to be going downhill at the U. We should have hired the admiral. He's a bright guy. Frenk just seems too laid back about everything. And don't get me started about this BOT and its beeyotchy leader. The whole lot of them aren't worth a ****.

We absolutely have the talent to manhandle Central Michigan. If you're struggling against Central Michigan, it has NOTHING to do with scheme. It has to do with players who don't give a &^%$.

Most of the players are doing this just for fun, all of the players are doing this optionally, and all of the players are doing this for free. They are there because they want to be, and at their own peril. This **** isn’t safe, at all. “The players don’t give a ****” is an argument that has all of the facts stacked against it.

There are certain situations where the players are just miserable, the locker room is divided, and they can’t wait to just be gone, a la Al Golden. That’s when it becomes obvious that the players don’t give a ****, and even then I honestly didn’t blame them.

But there is no way that I’m buying the locker room is checked out 4 games into a brand new coach’s tenure.

Most of the players are doing this just for fun, all of the players are doing this optionally, and all of the players are doing this for free. They are there because they want to be, and at their own peril. This **** isn’t safe, at all. “The players don’t give a ****” is an argument that has all of the facts stacked against it.

There are certain situations where the players are just miserable, the locker room is divided, and they can’t wait to just be gone, a la Al Golden. That’s when it becomes obvious that the players don’t give a ****, and even then I honestly didn’t blame them.

But there is no way that I’m buying the locker room is checked out 4 games into a brand new coach’s tenure.

Dude, if you don't think there are plenty of college athletes who don't give a &^%$ about winning today's game, I just don't know what to tell you. Why wouldn't you expect guys to check out after a 1-2 start?

Advertisement
Dude, if you don't think there are plenty of college athletes who don't give a &^%$ about winning today's game, I just don't know what to tell you. Why wouldn't you expect guys to check out after a 1-2 start?

Joking? Anyone who checks out just because they lost a couple games is a really sorry excuse for a competitor.

Joking? Anyone who checks out just because they lost a couple games is a really sorry excuse for a competitor.

Oh, I agree with that 100%. And that mindset is prevalent in south Florida among football AND baseball players. It's a soft, front-running crowd. They're all in when they are on top.

Something does seem off to me with the culture of the team, and I'm not sure how it's happening given where we are as a program. It seems to me that some of the guys on our team still have the idea in their head that the U on their helmet means that they will, without real focus and effort on game day, be able to roll teams like Central Michigan. Now, admittedly, as a fan of this program for basically my whole life (born in 1980), I certainly think that way, as I expected us to blast this team, since we're Miami, and they're a directional school, and based on talent level, etc., that certainly should have happened. But, my belief in the U on the helmet also comes from watching those great teams, expecting a level of excellence, and feeling entitled to a program that should strive for that level because I've seen it happen under different coaches, with different strategies, and different players.

What's confusing to me is that the current players have never seen us as a great program. They've seen the 30 for 30s, see the trophies and posters in the building, and have the former players coming to tell them about what used to be. But, other than the 10 game stretch in 2017, the guys playing for this program haven't seen what it takes to make a truly great team and program, and yet, it somehow seems like they still expect that to be the case. And then when we struggle, they almost seemed surprised.

To hear guys like Brevin Jordan and Jarren Williams say that guys weren't disappointed in the game this past weekend is hard for me to really comprehend. Yes, a win is always better than a loss, but with all the talk of trying to play to the Miami standard, a performance like this was clearly not moving toward that standard, and I would expect that the team should know that. If they're happier that we won rather than lost, if they're relieved, I get it. But even immediately after getting the victory, i would have expected our team to understand how poorly they played and to express that dissatisfaction about their play when asked.

You have to identify the "disease" during the recruiting process - Miami has been in this position for 15 years now beause they focus recruiting in South Florida, but eventually they have to recognize they haven't cherry picked SF in a long, long time, and may be getting the leftovers.

That goes for most other places they recruit too. Why, because a 4-5 star who has a chance to go to Bama, Georgia, LSU, OSU, or a half dozen other schools that have a shot at the final four, are going. Until Miami wins consistently, this generation of athletes will head for the competitive programs that give them the best chance at being noticed.

And this is huge - Miami hasn't had much success in anything above average in O-line play. Art Keho was great in his day, when we were winning and he could get players. I had hoped Richt would bring some Georgia LA, or SC O-Linemen in because So FL isn't exactly a hot bed for that position, and the big corn-fed kids ain't coming to play in this heat, no matter how pretty the girls are. I'm from SW Fl, but played in the Mid West - don't kid yourself, there were some **** fine women out there too.

You just hope this O-line grows and gets better and next year will be truly ready to compete.
I remember Jimmy Johnson saying, it was as important knowing a players mental makeup as much as his physical ability.
CMD is an Intelligent coach, so I'm sure he understands and sees the underlying issues. This is going to be an issue all year long. He will however know who has the fight and who doesn't. I suspect he knows already, but you can't ditch half the team.
As mentioned in another post, most of our penalties were against seniors. That says a lot.
When your leadership is coming from mostly Freshmen and Sophomores, you've got problems.
Also, if assistant coaches are not doing their job, then they should be let go at the end of the season. That will be CMD'S first challenge to his leadership and will show the players his dedication to turning the corner in this program. No prisoners taken. You have to instill some healthy fear in them. Saban does . Jimmy , Butch, and Howard did also

Advertisement
Dude, we don’t have enough talent to manhandle CENTRAL MICHIGAN?

That is rationalization of the highest order.
I'm curious to know how teams prior to 2002 would feel about winning against a CMU team by 5 points. I doubt they would be celebrating. The majority of this team does not have the same dog Miami players had in the past. There are a few scattered around the roster? Scheme is off as well. I have no answers but I know we need more agression on the OL and at DT. The staff feels they dont have the right players to run THEIR schemes. If they wait too long they will lose too much and not get THEIR players in time. It's a messy circle Miami is caught in. Manny will get another year for sure but he better make some schematic adjustments fast or he will be the next coaching casualty and we'll be right back to the next HC search by 2021.

I agree that the offense has issues and adjustments need to be made to address our deficiencies. I don't necessarily dislike the offensive scheme, but a lot of it isn't working due to our OL issues.

On defense, it's much more difficult to assess. For all we know, what we are seeing is already specifically designed to address our deficiencies. I can't say with much certainty that we would be performing better if we were running different plays.

As for your last comment, this is exactly the point of this thread. Miami teams have had this issue every year for 15+ years through multiple coaching staffs. I think it's a bigger issue that requires more time to fix. Manny addressed and largely fixed this issue on the defensive side of the ball when he was DC. The issue still remains on offense and is going to take some time to fix.

I’m so tired of hearing about the O line being the reason why we can’t score. No the reason we can’t score is our scheme along with the O line. If we didn’t have slow play action passes jarren wouldn’t have his back turned to the field and wouldn’t get murdered every other snap. Half of the sacks are on play calling and Jarren. That’s called an inability to adjust. The line isn’t gonna magically get better over night, so why does Enos think eventually what he is calling will work? Why does Manny continue to let him do what isn’t working?

I’m so tired of hearing about the O line being the reason why we can’t score. No the reason we can’t score is our scheme along with the O line. If we didn’t have slow play action passes jarren wouldn’t have his back turned to the field and wouldn’t get murdered every other snap. Half of the sacks are on play calling and Jarren. That’s called an inability to adjust. The line isn’t gonna magically get better over night, so why does Enos think eventually what he is calling will work? Why does Manny continue to let him do what isn’t working?

I don't disagree with this. Wish one of our intrepid Miami area sports reporters would politely ask Enos why he continues to run the PA plays given the issues at OL and/or in games where we aren't effectively running the ball. But, that is probably too much to ask.

I don't disagree with this. Wish one of our intrepid Miami area sports reporters would politely ask Enos why he continues to run the PA plays given the issues at OL and/or in games where we aren't effectively running the ball. But, that is probably too much to ask.
Miami media buffoons have no depth in doing their jobs. They either are sanctimoniously behind their desktops casting pebbles without putting in gumshoe work or on the frontline cheerleading the inept coaches and players. That also contributes to the low quality of sports in SFLA in general.

Advertisement
Point taken, but let me ask you this. Why was Meyer failing in Gainesville? Why is Harbaugh failing at Michigan? Those guys are elite, but they ran into culture problems, even if they were of their own making. I just refuse to believe that the guys I'm watching on the field would be an elite team with another new set of coaches.

Not elite. Not at all.

We are looking for a disciplined, confident football team that is mentally tough, strategically prepared, and technically sound.

There are talent issues on the roster. There are experience issues as well. However, Manny himself proved how critical coaching is with the performance of his units vs the performance of D’no’s units with the same players for the most part. That is all the proof we need.

We ARE a better team than we have showed against UF, unc, and cmu. The poor playcalling on both sides of the ball, bad special teams, and excessive penalties show there is a problem with the leadership from the top down.

What type of thinking does it show to call a safety blitz on 4th and 17 and constant playaction passes on 3rd and long? We see violations of basic football strategy over and over, so how can anything they are doing be trusted?

He said the team was feeling themselves after beat Bethune and didn’t take CMU seriously. Yes an 0-2 team who then beats a 1AA school was “feeling themselves.” Incredible

Jesus that was my worry. What a bunch of clowns. How can these kids be so full of themselves? How can Saban and other elite coaches keep their kids on edge each week to dominate and out coaches can’t keep our kids heads level after beating Bethune Cookman? We have zero chance of success with this roster and coaching staff.

Advertisement

I don't think anyone is questioning the character of the players, but culture is a totally different thing. Why is arguably our best WR a transfer from Buffalo, the same guy we heard was always doing extra work to get better.
He is a grad transfer senior going all in for a shot at the nfl.

He is the oldest and most mature guy in the room.

Of course he has better work ethic than the freshmen and sophomores.

Something does seem off to me with the culture of the team, and I'm not sure how it's happening given where we are as a program. It seems to me that some of the guys on our team still have the idea in their head that the U on their helmet means that they will, without real focus and effort on game day, be able to roll teams like Central Michigan. Now, admittedly, as a fan of this program for basically my whole life (born in 1980), I certainly think that way, as I expected us to blast this team, since we're Miami, and they're a directional school, and based on talent level, etc., that certainly should have happened. But, my belief in the U on the helmet also comes from watching those great teams, expecting a level of excellence, and feeling entitled to a program that should strive for that level because I've seen it happen under different coaches, with different strategies, and different players.

What's confusing to me is that the current players have never seen us as a great program. They've seen the 30 for 30s, see the trophies and posters in the building, and have the former players coming to tell them about what used to be. But, other than the 10 game stretch in 2017, the guys playing for this program haven't seen what it takes to make a truly great team and program, and yet, it somehow seems like they still expect that to be the case. And then when we struggle, they almost seemed surprised.

To hear guys like Brevin Jordan and Jarren Williams say that guys weren't disappointed in the game this past weekend is hard for me to really comprehend. Yes, a win is always better than a loss, but with all the talk of trying to play to the Miami standard, a performance like this was clearly not moving toward that standard, and I would expect that the team should know that. If they're happier that we won rather than lost, if they're relieved, I get it. But even immediately after getting the victory, i would have expected our team to understand how poorly they played and to express that dissatisfaction about their play when asked.
And the satisfaction of "just winning" starts and ends with the HC and his assistants. Nick Saban won't tolerate poor performances. Neither will Dabo. Rest assured starters would lose minutes. But more importantly, what the aforementioned programs have been able to do is create the highest level of TEAM. The players expect and demand 150% effort from each one and hold each other accountable. UM is far away from this at the moment. So yeah, a win is win. Sure. Canes players are happy with it but the internal erosion, the poison, will expand even bigger further creating a widened gap from today's best and where the University of Miami resides.

Diaz has a daunting task ahead of him. Definitely earning his paycheck as this rebuild is a mountain to climb....

Jesus that was my worry. What a bunch of clowns. How can these kids be so full of themselves? How can Saban and other elite coaches keep their kids on edge each week to dominate and out coaches can’t keep our kids heads level after beating Bethune Cookman? We have zero chance of success with this roster and coaching staff.

He’s an amateur. He must talk to them the same way he talks to recruits, not very sucessfully

Advertisement
Back