Crown Swasey???

Pretty sure Golden said there was no nutritionist working w/ the players when he came in...but found the below that also mentions there was no real monitoring of what the players ate.

Before Golden, Swasey said, there was no monitoring of what players ate before coming to him. And some, he said, would skip breakfast. "They have to come check in or we check on them to make sure they ate," Swasey said. "The good thing about that is they are getting 1200 to 1500 calories prior to starting. Some kids wouldn't eat until lunch before."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...ram-under-new-golden-rules.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Pretty sure Golden said there was no nutritionist working w/ the players when he came in...but found the below that also mentions there was no real monitoring of what the players ate.

Before Golden, Swasey said, there was no monitoring of what players ate before coming to him. And some, he said, would skip breakfast. "They have to come check in or we check on them to make sure they ate," Swasey said. "The good thing about that is they are getting 1200 to 1500 calories prior to starting. Some kids wouldn't eat until lunch before."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...ram-under-new-golden-rules.html#storylink=cpy
just because shantard didnt care doesnt mean the school didnt have one

but that incompetent clod just didnt care........which is why guys showed up late to the weight room with a bag of egg mcmuffins

but that incompetent clod just didnt care........which is why guys showed up late to the weight room with a bag of egg mcmuffins

Shantard probley shut out the cute nutritionist just like he shut out former players and high school coaches.

Shantard probley shut out the cute nutritionist just like he shut out former players and high school coaches.
bingo

its clear that he wanted total control and didnt want anybody outside the staff having any interaction with his players

insecurity at its best

dumb comment jjst like yu didn't know miami had a nutrionist. some people don't know what they don't know.

Advertisement

dumb comment jjst like yu didn't know miami had a nutrionist. some people don't know what they don't know.

Could of fooled me with how small the team was in 2007 to 2010. But please, continue about your diatribe about your favorite coach, ever.

Do you guys believe Golden gave Swasey his workout regimen & said "here ya go Andrew-do X,Y & Z?"(Basically giving Swasey the workout regimen/U-Tough etc) OR Do you think AG said "hey we're fast,but I want these guys bigger & stronger. Get it done." (Swasey designs his own workouts in accordance to what Golden wants)

I was thinking the latter,but really I don't know. Anyone with knowledge of how this stuff works? Say at Bama,OSU or anywhere.Does the S&C guy pretty much do his own thing after a coach gives him his marching orders, or does the coach spell it out for him to the letter?

It sounds like its somewhere in the middle. Golden has standards he wants met for strength, conditioning, but he also wants certain activities done like UTough and combine style conditioning tests.
no

its not in the middle.......its all al's program

There is so much misinformation is this thread. NJ is completely wrong and it is almost silly to even have to reply to such nonsense. The S&C program that we use does not come from temple. Al Golden did not hand over a S & C program to Swasey.

For so called fans, we seem to know little about our program. The U tough was developed by Swasey and has been a staple of the UM program for years. This was the same program that all of our NFL players came back to participate in during the off season. Golden simply renamed and rebranded the concept.

So what is different? Golden now requires the players to a strict workout regimen throughout the off season as before the players were not required to do so by the previous staff. Before, players were just required to show up to the weight room by signing in and that was about it. The players did not have any performance metrics to meet during the off season. Players are now held accountable and disciplined for not meeting their performance metrics. They can no longer BS in the weight room during the off season. For example with UM having Spring practice starting in Late February...early March under Randy Shannon, players were not required to work out after the season ended in December. Most went home for the Winter break and did not return until mid January.

Once back on campus from winter break there were only about three weeks before they started Spring football practice. With Spring starting in April under AL, players now have about two and a half months to hit the weight room before spring football. Under Shannon and Coker players progress was not enforced. Under Al if a player does not show any gains he is benched and will not play.

Has anyone stopped to think why UM was pushed around upfront? How many linemen that came from UM were drafted in the first round in the last five years? How many were all Americans? How many dominated the ACC conference? This is why UM players were pushed around. Noticed how Al Golden is recruiting larger, faster and more physical

Last edited:
Do you guys believe Golden gave Swasey his workout regimen & said "here ya go Andrew-do X,Y & Z?"(Basically giving Swasey the workout regimen/U-Tough etc) OR Do you think AG said "hey we're fast,but I want these guys bigger & stronger. Get it done." (Swasey designs his own workouts in accordance to what Golden wants)

I was thinking the latter,but really I don't know. Anyone with knowledge of how this stuff works? Say at Bama,OSU or anywhere.Does the S&C guy pretty much do his own thing after a coach gives him his marching orders, or does the coach spell it out for him to the letter?

It sounds like its somewhere in the middle. Golden has standards he wants met for strength, conditioning, but he also wants certain activities done like UTough and combine style conditioning tests.
no

There is so much misinformation is this thread. NJ is completely wrong and it is almost silly to even have to reply to such nonsense. The S&C program that we use does not come from temple. Al Golden did not hand over a S & C program to Swasey.

For so called fans, we seem to know little about our program. The U tough was developed by Swasey and has been a staple of the UM program for years. This was the same program that all of our NFL players came back to participate in during the off season. Golden simply renamed and rebranded the concept.

So what is different? Golden now requires the players to a strict workout regimen throughout the off season as before the players were not required to do so by the previous staff. Before, players were just required to show up to the weight room by signing in and that was about it. The players did not have any performance metrics to meet during the off season. Players are now held accountable and disciplined for not meeting their performance metrics. They can no longer BS in the weight room during the off season. For example with UM having Spring practice starting in Late February...early March under Randy Shannon, players were not required to work out after the season ended in December. Most went home for the Winter break and did not return until mid January.

Once back on campus from winter break there were only about three weeks before they started Spring football practice. With Spring starting in April under AL, players now have about two and a half months to hit the weight room before spring football. Under Shannon and Coker players progress was not enforced. Under Al if a player does not show any gains he is benched and will not play.

Has anyone stopped to think why UM was pushed around upfront? How many linemen that came from UM were drafted in the first round in the last five years? How many were all Americans? How many dominated the ACC conference? This is why UM players were pushed around. Noticed how Al Golden is recruiting larger, faster and more physical

you have no idea what you are talking about......but that shouldnt come as a surprise to anybody

Spring only started late last year, when Golden wanted to get more weightlifting in. We started spring in the normal time this year.

Advertisement

no

you have no idea what you are talking about......but that shouldnt come as a surprise to anybody

You were just flat out wrong

no

You were just flat out wrong
what are you basing that on?

I think it's naive to suggest that Golden is setting up exercises, rep schemes, deloading weeks, etc. Seems to me he has enough on his plate to be setting up detailed strength programs for Ben Jones.

That being said, I'd guess he's also making micro-managing some decisions, because within weeks of his hiring, suddenly we had battle ropes and tires and sleds.

I think it's fair to say he's put a greater emphasis on S&C than Coker and Shannon.

I think it's naive to suggest that Golden is setting up exercises, rep schemes, deloading weeks, etc. Seems to me he has enough on his plate to be setting up detailed strength programs for Ben Jones.

That being said, I'd guess he's also making micro-managing some decisions, because within weeks of his hiring, suddenly we had battle ropes and tires and sleds.

I think it's fair to say he's put a greater emphasis on S&C than Coker and Shannon.

golden aint settin up squat he jujst told swasey to get toughr or whateve the **** and swasey brought back the crap he did when bucth davis was here. why coker or shannon would devaite from that (if that's the case) is just crazy.

Advertisement

its an updated version of the workout they used when he played at PUS

he didnt have to set up anything........he just handed it to swasey and told him to run it

I have an acquaintance who's interning for Swasey right now. I'll ask him next time I see him.
when he brought it to my HS it was a scaled down HS version of what hes doing now

in HS he called it "tough enough" instead of "U tough"

Advertisement
K9,

There are plenty of dudes on here who don't know the GOAT Tom Moffitt was and still is. He just wins championships.

There's plenty of data to show that Swasey just sucks and still does. If the guy had any sense of pride, he would have added teeth to the program years ago. Clearly, this is all being driven by Golden. We all know it. The fact that Swasey can make a spreadsheet stating who signed into the weight room, what their max is on their bench now, and how they compare to years past, changes nothing. I feel terrible for even mentioning his name and Moffitt's in the same post.

K9,

There are plenty of dudes on here who don't know the GOAT Tom Moffitt was and still is. He just wins championships.

There's plenty of data to show that Swasey just sucks and still does. If the guy had any sense of pride, he would have added teeth to the program years ago. Clearly, this is all being driven by Golden. We all know it. The fact that Swasey can make a spreadsheet stating who signed into the weight room, what their max is on their bench now, and how they compare to years past, changes nothing. I feel terrible for even mentioning his name and Moffitt's in the same post.
moffitt is the man

just looking at gerry dinardo lsu and saban/miles lsu you can see the differences

as for the part in bold....thats actually a huge part of the program.......is tracking their progress on paper

Last edited:
K9,

Moffit's impact at Miami in the short time he was at UM was insane, if you think about it

I remember talking to an ex-Cane who now works in the NFL and went to the 2009 combine and he flat out said that compared to the SEC guys our guys, physically, "Looked like ****''. Was not a fan of what was going on at Coral Gables at that time

K9,

Moffit's impact at Miami in the short time he was at UM was insane, if you think about it

I remember talking to an ex-Cane who now works in the NFL and went to the 2009 combine and he flat out said that compared to the SEC guys our guys, physically, "Looked like ****''. Was not a fan of what was going on at Coral Gables at that time
same could be said for UT

Advertisement
Back