Cristobal named 2015 Scout's National Recruiter of the Year

I never bought the "he burned his bridges here" stuff. Mario is not stupid. He's always been a very slick operator. I feel pretty confident that Mario bolted to Bama but smoothed it out well before he did. UM gave him a phony position just because of his local ties and recruiting ability. The Bama position was a real coaching position, and making a half million dollars a year. Probably substantially more than UM was going to pay him in that made up administrative role they gave him.

He's not stupid. And after Golden is gone, Donna S will be gone, and Blake James could very well be also. So who would even really be left to hold a grudge against Mario for taking a better gig, even IF it had rubbed some people the wrong way.

I just don't think the damage is as bad as most suspect, and seeing how he has operated over the years, Im of the belief that he probably smoothed things over and left under decent terms.

Dude, we gave Mario Te coach and assistant head coach. It wasnt just some phony position

They were phony positions dude. At least the Asst HC spot. They had titles, but come on. He was really going to be the Assistant HC with Dorito, Golden's life long butt buddy and right hand man his whole career here? Really? Everyone knows who the #2 in this program is, and Mario was never going to be anything but a recruiter on this staff. Dorito is the Asst HC, always has been, and will be til Golden is fired.

You said we gave him a phony position just to recruit. He was the TE coach. He was coaching something. It was a real coaching position. In your next sentence your statement shows you thought he just got a recruiting job like Baez or Beard. Actually just reread it and you said he had an administrative position.

All assistant head coaches spots are phony but that was beside the point. You clearly state that Cristobal went from an administrative role to OL at Bama, but he went from TE coach at Miami to OL at Bama.

Advertisement
I never bought the "he burned his bridges here" stuff. Mario is not stupid. He's always been a very slick operator. I feel pretty confident that Mario bolted to Bama but smoothed it out well before he did. UM gave him a phony position just because of his local ties and recruiting ability. The Bama position was a real coaching position, and making a half million dollars a year. Probably substantially more than UM was going to pay him in that made up administrative role they gave him.

He's not stupid. And after Golden is gone, Donna S will be gone, and Blake James could very well be also. So who would even really be left to hold a grudge against Mario for taking a better gig, even IF it had rubbed some people the wrong way.

I just don't think the damage is as bad as most suspect, and seeing how he has operated over the years, Im of the belief that he probably smoothed things over and left under decent terms.

FWIW.....Mario did get a poor FIU program to 2 bowl games and won 1. He's not my first choice but I would give him my full support if he got the job. It's gonna be hard to find the perfect candidate (one that ALL Miami fans agree on). Names like Butch, Schiano, Chud, Mario, and Stoops get thrown out there all the time. They all have positives and negatives. At the end of the day, we just have to hope that the administration gets it right..............................or just gets lucky. I'll take either one...

FWIW.....Mario did get a poor FIU program to 2 bowl games and won 1. He's not my first choice but I would give him my full support if he got the job. It's gonna be hard to find the perfect candidate (one that ALL Miami fans agree on). Names like Butch, Schiano, Chud, Mario, and Stoops get thrown out there all the time. They all have positives and negatives. At the end of the day, we just have to hope that the administration gets it right..............................or just gets lucky. I'll take either one...
Mark Hudspeth. The man makes significantly less than golden is undefeated in bowl games and is a solid coach.
Butch Davis - Unemployed and wants the job and will come cheap
Scott Frost

Those are 3 names I think everyone would be excited about and there are more. We just need a president that will hire a real AD that knows what he's doing.

Jeremy pruitt is a guy I would add to that list but I agree NVA. I wouldn't mind going the coordinator route here. I really think Pruitt would kill it down here

Jeremy pruitt is a guy I would add to that list but I agree NVA. I wouldn't mind going the coordinator route here. I really think Pruitt would kill it down here
Definitely. Forgot about him but I think he would be a great hire and everyone would be excited. The notion that we have to settle for a guy like Mario is complete BS. It's just another excuse to cover up for the schools incompetence.

There are good coaches out there you just need an AD that knows what they are doing to get them, not some thirty thousand dollar consultant that tells you to hire randy ******* shannon.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Definitely. Forgot about him but I think he would be a great hire and everyone would be excited. The notion that we have to settle for a guy like Mario is complete BS. It's just another excuse to cover up for the schools incompetence. There are good coaches out there you just need an AD that knows what they are doing to get them, not some thirty thousand dollar consultant that tells you to hire randy ******* shannon.

IMO Pruitt would be a home run especially the style of defense he plays would fit with the athletes down here, he can absolutely recruit with the best of them, the only question I have is what type of offense would he run if he were to be a HC. On Cristobal people at Alabama love him and even on their boards they question why Al doesn't just stay and recruit in Florida

Mark Hudspeth. The man makes significantly less than golden is undefeated in bowl games and is a solid coach.
Butch Davis - Unemployed and wants the job and will come cheap
Scott Frost

Those are 3 names I think everyone would be excited about and there are more. We just need a president that will hire a real AD that knows what he's doing.

My man Butch notwithstanding, I do like Hudspeth.

http://www.redcuprebellion.com/2014...this-mark-hudspeth-guy-you-keep-hearing-about

Advertisement
We have to bring in and back these big recruiters out there that have a pass down here. To start Cristobal and T Rob having been killing down here and as soon as Texas lets go Strong we need to grab him.

Dude, we gave Mario Te coach and assistant head coach. It wasnt just some phony position

They were phony positions dude. At least the Asst HC spot. They had titles, but come on. He was really going to be the Assistant HC with Dorito, Golden's life long butt buddy and right hand man his whole career here? Really? Everyone knows who the #2 in this program is, and Mario was never going to be anything but a recruiter on this staff. Dorito is the Asst HC, always has been, and will be til Golden is fired.

You said we gave him a phony position just to recruit. He was the TE coach. He was coaching something. It was a real coaching position. In your next sentence your statement shows you thought he just got a recruiting job like Baez or Beard. Actually just reread it and you said he had an administrative position.

All assistant head coaches spots are phony but that was beside the point. You clearly state that Cristobal went from an administrative role to OL at Bama, but he went from TE coach at Miami to OL at Bama.

No no no. I didn't mean he was just hired to be a recruiting coordinator, at least not on paper. He did have the titles, and the TE gig, but he was hired because of his recruiting locally and ties to the program. The "Asst HC" title was a joke and phony. He was never going to really be the Asst. HC of this team. It was something they helped carve out for him because they wanted him on the staff to recruit. Cristobal was never going to have any real power on this staff and he knew it.

After having a coach like Golden I am now, more than ever before, in favor of hiring a coach who knows how to recruit and hire elite coordinators. A coach who will buy a car for the offense and a car for the defense, and give the key to each one to its respective coordinators. Golden controlling both sides of the football has made me physically ill.

Golden likes to say he is "CEO" like (or maybe thats what others have said about him in the past), but he doesn't run the program like a "CEO" would. He micromanages rather than let the coaches WHICH HE HAS SELECTED run their respective units.

Cristobal has almost the same resume and credentials Golden had when Miami hired Golden. Golden's selling point when he came in was that he was smooth, good with the media and had the resume builder of achieving modest success as a HC at a crappy program (Temple).

Cristobal has all that too. He is smooth, comes across well and does good with the media. He has that same used car salesman schtick that Golden has (and I mean that in both a good and bad way). Cristobal even has the "I-won-at-crappy-place" resume builder with his HC experience at FIU.

BUT Cristobal has two things that Golden does not have. Cristobal has been coaching at an elite program and under arguably the best college football coach in the country. Golden sprang from the Al Groh coaching tree.

And here is the biggest difference between Cristobal and Golden: Cristobal would not be a fish out of water here like Golden was. Cristobal knows the South Florida high school football player, the coaches and the type of players that the area produces and the type of football that South Florida football players can succeed in.

Is that enough? Maybe. Maybe not. Wasn't enough for Shannon.

But Cristobal is a step up from Golden and could succeed. I would not be that upset if he was the guy that replaces Golden.

Not my first or second choice necessarily but I would not be that upset if MC replaced Golden.

Advertisement
Anyone here that'd settle for Fat Luigi running the show fully deserves the additional decade of mediocrity that'd ensue. Pathetic mindset and basically being just as gullible as we were about the Golden hire because the guy "knows Miami". Don't give me the "he's studying under the master" nonsense too. Go ask Tennessee fans about how Derek Dooley worked out.

This is a sham award too. Please. How about a Mich St that pulled 3 kids from Texas this year even after Narduzzi's departure? How about the darker skinned Al Golden at PSU pulling a 14th rated class even with "the cloud"? Fat Luigi didn't do a job that 50 other guys could have done now.

No on Hudspeth. Trust me, as someone who is very familiar with Louisiana football, there is a reason he's still at UL-Lafayette heading into his fifth year.

Anyone here that'd settle for Fat Luigi running the show fully deserves the additional decade of mediocrity that'd ensue. Pathetic mindset and basically being just as gullible as we were about the Golden hire because the guy "knows Miami". Don't give me the "he's studying under the master" nonsense too. Go ask Tennessee fans about how Derek Dooley worked out.

This is a sham award too. Please. How about a Mich St that pulled 3 kids from Texas this year even after Narduzzi's departure? How about the darker skinned Al Golden at PSU pulling a 14th rated class even with "the cloud"? Fat Luigi didn't do a job that 50 other guys could have done now.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you. And I understand that the "he knows Miami" argument collapsed with Shannon as the HC.

But Mario looks a helluva better than Golden right now - yes, I realize that is not saying much or anything at all. And given Miami's hiring trends, I agree with CANE4LIFE, Mario will get looked at.

I will take it a step further: I think Mario has a better chance of becoming the Miami HC than Butch does. That is reality. Sad reality, but true.

Advertisement
Iam hopeful that with donna and her crew gone... Butch might get a shot, we have been diddly since he left.
we really need a hire that can get it done recruiting, staff, get back to playing a brand of football were used to seeing rather than the slow O
to keep off the field the poor D

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you. And I understand that the "he knows Miami" argument collapsed with Shannon as the HC.

But Mario looks a helluva better than Golden right now - yes, I realize that is not saying much or anything at all. And given Miami's hiring trends, I agree with CANE4LIFE, Mario will get looked at.

I will take it a step further: I think Mario has a better chance of becoming the Miami HC than Butch does. That is reality. Sad reality, but true.

My 97 year old grandfather looks a lot better than Al Golden right now. And he lost his **** and both eyes in the big war.

Advertisement
Back