Cristobal named 2015 Scout's National Recruiter of the Year

Advertisement
People were pretty ****ed at him when he left (me included), but now it looks like he definitely made the right decision. I wonder if people would be more accepting of him now as a replacement to Golden. He's been learning under Saban for a couple years and looks like he's upped his recruiting game apparently. I wouldn't be mad if we gave him a look if he hasn't burned that bridge.

His effectiveness is a combination of being a really cool guy and being part of the Bama machine.

Cristobal would have no impact on our staff under Golden. Nothing to sell.

Ice Harris can't even get kids that play for his son to come here.....how would Cristobal?

Cristobal will jump around the SEC as a recruiter.

Not head coach material. Not an x's and o's guy.

Want to impress me, win "Recruiter of the Year" at UAB or The Citadel. You're supposed to stack chips at Bama.

Advertisement
As I predicted to much scoffing and jeering a while back, Mario Cristobal is going to be considered MUCH more seriously that many people here want to believe as the next HC for UM. In the end, I don't think he gets it, but I firmly believe they are going to take a real hard look at him, and he's going to be the "fall back" option if the bigger fish decline.

Guy can sell himself almost as well as Golden. Former Cane, from Miami, has been learning under Saban, has HC experience, has this REPUTATION as a monster recruiter, which I think is WAY overblown, will sell UM on the idea that he can keep Coley, and maybe our QB commits, that he and Coley as a team will dominate Florida recruiting. He's been a position coach at UM.

This guy is going to be much more of a real contender than most posters here want to believe.

Cristobal's effectiveness is also a function of how unappealing of a product Miami is producing.

Last years team would have been 6-7 under Cristobal and Coley.

Coley is a terrible offensive coordinator....he will not be retained by the next head coach.

Our offense is slow and precitable. Coley was bailed out by the fastest man in college football (Dorsett) and a franchise RB.

This offense will be painful to watch without Duke and Dorsett.

Advertisement
I never bought the "he burned his bridges here" stuff. Mario is not stupid. He's always been a very slick operator. I feel pretty confident that Mario bolted to Bama but smoothed it out well before he did. UM gave him a phony position just because of his local ties and recruiting ability. The Bama position was a real coaching position, and making a half million dollars a year. Probably substantially more than UM was going to pay him in that made up administrative role they gave him.

He's not stupid. And after Golden is gone, Donna S will be gone, and Blake James could very well be also. So who would even really be left to hold a grudge against Mario for taking a better gig, even IF it had rubbed some people the wrong way.

I just don't think the damage is as bad as most suspect, and seeing how he has operated over the years, Im of the belief that he probably smoothed things over and left under decent terms.

I never bought the "he burned his bridges here" stuff. Mario is not stupid. He's always been a very slick operator. I feel pretty confident that Mario bolted to Bama but smoothed it out well before he did. UM gave him a phony position just because of his local ties and recruiting ability. The Bama position was a real coaching position, and making a half million dollars a year. Probably substantially more than UM was going to pay him in that made up administrative role they gave him.

He's not stupid. And after Golden is gone, Donna S will be gone, and Blake James could very well be also. So who would even really be left to hold a grudge against Mario for taking a better gig, even IF it had rubbed some people the wrong way.

I just don't think the damage is as bad as most suspect, and seeing how he has operated over the years, Im of the belief that he probably smoothed things over and left under decent terms.

Dude, we gave Mario Te coach and assistant head coach. It wasnt just some phony position

Advertisement
Would be a turrible hire for HC.

Probably, but UM is going to be hurting depending on how much they have to eat to buyout Golden's contract. So they are not likely to be busting the bank on a big time HC. **** UM has never gone after a "big time" guy paying top dollar.

So if the guys on the wishlist say no, they will look at Mario as a perfect fall back guy. And if Randy Shannon could sell these people on why he could be a great HC, Mario will sell them twice as hard.

He can recruit but he can't coach. Miami people, Alabama guys, and southern families speak highly of him as a recruiter. However, look at his unit the past two years at the best job in the country. Didn't perform when needed.

His ceiling is as a position coach. He, just like many others, could work out here but definitely nowhere near an ideal hire.

Advertisement
Posters would be complaining about how overated he is as a recruiter and how much better a guy like T-Rob is if he was still coaching here.

Dude, we gave Mario Te coach and assistant head coach. It wasnt just some phony position

They were phony positions dude. At least the Asst HC spot. They had titles, but come on. He was really going to be the Assistant HC with Dorito, Golden's life long butt buddy and right hand man his whole career here? Really? Everyone knows who the #2 in this program is, and Mario was never going to be anything but a recruiter on this staff. Dorito is the Asst HC, always has been, and will be til Golden is fired.

Theres 150 people on this board who can recruit kids to Alabama and do better than 27-47 at FIU.

Those two things literally require zero skill.

Would be a turrible hire for HC.

Probably, but UM is going to be hurting depending on how much they have to eat to buyout Golden's contract. So they are not likely to be busting the bank on a big time HC. **** UM has never gone after a "big time" guy paying top dollar.

So if the guys on the wishlist say no, they will look at Mario as a perfect fall back guy. And if Randy Shannon could sell these people on why he could be a great HC, Mario will sell them twice as hard.

They waited a year to fire Golden so I assume they are pooling more resources knowing 99% that Golden is getting fired. UM will have the money, but it's all about whether they want to spend it.

Advertisement
Back