Cristobal / Kelly

I was at the game, saw something I liked.

At the very end when we were trying to keep them out of the end zone, there was that 4th down play where we stopped them but Kelly got flagged for a hit on the QB I think. Gave GT a first down.

Few plays later GT scored. I happened to look at the sideline and Cristobal immediately turned toward the sideline, pointed right at Kelly and said (something like) “that’s on you.”

I can dig it. Don’t care the score. Things are either acceptable or they’re not.

I appreciated it. Set the standard, no exceptions. No deviations.

Should pay off over time.

Everyone is accountable.

Advertisement
Advertisement
You coach it when it happens and not days later because it has a more lasting effect for the player. The man is coaching a football game he doesn’t have the time to pull the kid to the side and say “hey bud, I know you’re playing really hard but we can’t have those kind of mistakes at this point game okay. Go have some Gatorade and keep your head up”.

Since Mario neither runs the offense or defense and the game was well in hand, he could've easily called him over and done some coaching up.

If in the moment is the most effective way, why even have practices and film study? Use both moments to drive your point home. And it doesn't always have to be through screaming or embarrassing a player.

Saying "why dude?" or "it's on you!"? That's brow-beating? Good thing you were never had one of my coaches. Let me guess, under 40?
Under 40 or over 70 doesn’t matter. Everything is a teaching moment. It’s not personal it’s important. Deliver it pointed, but positive. Always looks worse on TV then on the field. It’s a practiced useful art. Think Mike McDaniel.

This fanbase has been infiltrated with snowflake pussies who want to see what us "old guys " saw first hand but the problem is all they do is watch highlights from ST26 and ER20 and JV51 and want instant results. Don't understand the work and discipline that was put in and probably cant even bench their body weight still living at home with moms. Some of these players are buying in maybe some of these soft fans should too. I guaranmother****ingteeeee you I work out harder on Monday morning after a loss and I'm not even on the team.

You're really taking it on the chops in this thread. Might want to cut your losses.

If you say so. I'm seeing a lot of message board hard ****s is all. Coaching young people doesn't always have to be through intimidation and public embarrassment.

Advertisement
Since Mario neither runs the offense or defense and the game was well in hand, he could've easily called him over and done some coaching up.

If in the moment is the most effective way, why even have practices and film study? Use both moments to drive your point home. And it doesn't always have to be through screaming or embarrassing a player.
It will be talked about again in film study I assure you.

You’re making it out like he walked over screaming that he was a **** up that needs to get his **** together. All he did was let him know this can’t happen. Nothing more nothing less. If a player can’t handle that and needs pulled to the side then he isn’t going to do much for you.

I promise you a coach like Mario does plenty of building kids back up. Look no further than Rooster. That kid was playing like **** and got benched. Rumors were swirling about him transferring. That kid ran harder than he ever has today. This kind of thing happens because the coaching staff gets in your *** and holds you accountable but also helps you get back to being the player you can be.

You’re making it out like he walked over screaming that he was a **** up that needs to get his **** together. All he did was let him know this can’t happen. Nothing more nothing less. If a player can’t handle that and needs pulled to the side then he isn’t going to do much for you.

I promise you a coach like Mario does plenty of building kids back up. Look no further than Rooster. That kid was playing like **** and got benched. Rumors were swirling about him transferring. That kid ran harder than he ever has today. This kind of thing happens because the coaching staff gets in your *** and holds you accountable but also helps you get back to being the player you can be.

I'm hoping he does and that I'm 100% wrong. Kids need to buy into what you're doing through a combination of success (which we haven't had) and believing that you believe in them too. We've already heard rumors that players don't believe Mario and Co. do the latter.

Advertisement
Coaching Up:

Let Kelly know, in that moment, his PF was unacceptable
Let Kelly know, in front of his teammates, his PF was unacceptable
Let Kelly know, in front of his teammates and his coaches, how great he can be if he keeps working hard on his craft.

Ideally, if the roster had real leaders some of the undisciplined play and consequences might clean itself up.

If you say so. I'm seeing a lot of message board hard ****s is all. Coaching young people doesn't always have to be through intimidation and public embarrassment.
Do you think this instance was one or both of those things? Not trying to argue with you, but I saw it and it didn’t appear that way to me.

This.

Advertisement
all our guys were competing hard that last defensive drive, that was good to see
They competed hard on the Holes last drive too last week.

I can tell who didn’t watch the game til the end last week because people were saying that they quit. They did NOT quit. They were fighting tIl the end.

This season could have been so much different if it wasn’t for the abomination of an offense that these guys put together.

Some of you are so insufferable

People were literally complaining earlier in the year why doesn't Mario yell at guys more when they make mistakes. And then when he does, it's why doesn't he look in the mirror and blame himself

******* weirdos
Probably because OP made a big
Deal out of something that every coach does. Most of us weirdos don’t give a **** about something so innocuous at this point because he neutered the offense and made this season unwatchable.

Advertisement
Back