Cristobal / Kelly

MiamiVice7

Senior
I was at the game, saw something I liked.

At the very end when we were trying to keep them out of the end zone, there was that 4th down play where we stopped them but Kelly got flagged for a hit on the QB I think. Gave GT a first down.

Few plays later GT scored. I happened to look at the sideline and Cristobal immediately turned toward the sideline, pointed right at Kelly and said (something like) “that’s on you.”

I can dig it. Don’t care the score. Things are either acceptable or they’re not.

I appreciated it. Set the standard, no exceptions. No deviations.

Should pay off over time.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
This is the kind of crap that I part ways w/ Mario. Yes, Kelly made a boneheaded play that ended up costing us a (meaningless) TD. Why not pull him aside and coach him up one-on-one instead? Or rip him a new one in the film room or at practice? Make him run till he pukes? The relentless browbeating of the players is ridiculous. At some point you have to build them up too.

Advertisement
Team is still undisciplined. I mean one game that’s fine. Is on the players. But once u are doing it over and over again, that’s on coaching now! Clearly this staff has not put these kids in a better position to succeed all year. 8 games and they have gotten better, besides today.

Advertisement
This is the kind of crap that I part ways w/ Mario. Yes, Kelly made a boneheaded play that ended up costing us a (meaningless) TD. Why not pull him aside and coach him up one-on-one instead? Or rip him a new one in the film room or at practice? Make him run till he pukes? The relentless browbeating of the players is ridiculous. At some point you have to build them up too.
Relentless browbeating? Look I’m not pleased with everything this season, far from it. But we’ve been asking for big boy ball, no? No more soft, ice cream party, player coddling, etc….right?

He called his *** out. So what? That’s too much for you? He didn’t shove the kid and send him to the locker room. He didn’t berate him or make some huge scene; it was a moment, and coach took advantage. He wanted him to feel it, and he should. It’s a lesson. I’d like to think the kid can handle it, he’ll be fine.

And I’d be willing to bet Kelly and Cristobal are good.

Does your husband post here too?

all our guys were competing hard that last defensive drive, that was good to see
That’s the kind of drive a coach can build on. A few of our players stepped to the next level right there. There’s a difference between trying to keep a team from scoring when they’ve had their way with you most of the game, where you are demoralized, and a team you’ve kept in check most of the game, where now you have to dig deeper.

Advertisement
Back