Cristobal hired as TE coach; Carroll now WR Coach

View as article
Advertisement
dealwithit3.jpg

i need this gif with golden's face right now

Losing McDonald was a bit of set back. Leave it to AG to turn a minor set back into a huge advantage. How genius is that?

Fantastic hire.

He's a beastly and tireless recruiter...I think he's a good evaluator, too. He's a guy that definitely falls in line with Al Golden's core values...I think its a seamless transition for him to come back into the mix. I like the idea of him as a TE coach (coached LJ Smith, Kevin Everett, Greg Olsen)...I also would like to see him work with Kehoe on the OL.

Get him out there in the field ASAP to help close on some of these kids.

Mario once sold me a space heater in the middle of a Miami July.

Advertisement
There really isn't much not to like about MC coming back....couple things:

Some are saying he's here for a couple of years and gone. I don't get that at all. He had opportunities to go now, and he's here. He's not settling, he wants to be here. We are used to the mercenary nature of coaching, but some guys can genuinely be happy making a couple hundred grand and staying in their hometown close to their family. If he's up for HC or OC in the future then bonus.

Also, some are wondering what this means for Carroll. Personally I think it’s got to be a good thing for a young coach to get exposure to different positions.

All in all, and homerun by Al.

Advertisement
one of the main reasons MC was not leaving to other better gigs is that his family is not leaving south florida. so this position is great for him, he lands a job with an up and coming program, he could be the successor in waiting, he learns from al golden and staff, his family is happy,

If it all goes well...UM wins it's 6th, Golden to the NFL and Cristobal to HC. The data shows us that a coaches shelf life in college is at max 10 years, in any cases less.

Great hire - funny, though, I recall posts on other sites saying that Donna was ****ed when Mario went to FIU, and he would never again coach at UM. A little crow to be had there?

Advertisement
Jorge Milian ‏@caneswatch

Just talked to Jason Fox. On Cristobal: "He got me so fired up about UM, that was the only place I wanted to go. He’s a heck of a recruiter"

There really isn't much not to like about MC coming back....couple things:

Some are saying he's here for a couple of years and gone. I don't get that at all. He had opportunities to go now, and he's here. He's not settling, he wants to be here. We are used to the mercenary nature of coaching, but some guys can genuinely be happy making a couple hundred grand and staying in their hometown close to their family. If he's up for HC or OC in the future then bonus.

Also, some are wondering what this means for Carroll. Personally I think it’s got to be a good thing for a young coach to get exposure to different positions.

All in all, and homerun by Al.

I'm with you. I don't see this as a temporary move unless he's offered a pretty good HC gig somewhere else. I have a feeling he had plenty of offers from high-profile teams that saw a S. FL recruiting monster sitting there after FIU fired him, and he turned them down to come here. He might be counting his blessings that he's back in the fold at the place where he really wants to be and is ready to hang in there and bide his time until Alshermond possibly moves on to the NFL.

Only slight downside is we really don't have a wide receivers coach...but, on 95% of teams in CFB, the wide receivers coach is a primary recruiter, teacher second...

Advertisement
Former #UM #Canes coach Jimmy Johnson told me that hiring Mario Cristobal "will pay all kinds of dividends for Miami"
4:01pm - 10 Jan 13

Advertisement
Back