Cristobal hired as TE coach; Carroll now WR Coach

View as article
Cristobal is bypassing opportunities to be an offensive coordinator at an major conference program as well as assistant offers from NFL teams to return to UM, according to multiple sources.

Wow

sounds like he got a promise of some sort

Advertisement
What if...what if...Carroll leaves and they hire Lubick as WR...down the line, Al moves on, Cristobal becomes HC and Lubick the OC

Just sayin...the thought has definetely crossed my mind

This is an incredible move by Alshermond for one simple reason: The positive energy that Mario will bring to this staff will be immeasurable. You can't put a price tag on that sort of stuff in a working environment. This dude loves UM, and this is where he's dying to be. I can assure you that he had chances to go other places and probably for more money. But he wants to be part of this staff with Al and his old buddy D'Onofrio.

This **** is going to push us into the absolute stratosphere when it comes to recruiting. This dude is Trooper Taylor without all the baggage and with a GIGANTIC love for UM on top of it. Trust that. Don't underestimate the power of that love for where he's at and how that will translate to living rooms. His energy and positivity will help us get through the scholarship limitations too. Positive all the way around.

Advertisement
This is an incredible move by Alshermond for one simple reason: The positive energy that Mario will bring to this staff will be immeasurable. You can't put a price tag on that sort of stuff in a working environment. This dude loves UM, and this is where he's dying to be. I can assure you that he had chances to go other places and probably for more money. But he wants to be part of this staff with Al and his old buddy D'Onofrio.

This **** is going to push us into the absolute stratosphere when it comes to recruiting. This dude is Trooper Taylor without all the baggage and with a GIGANTIC love for UM on top of it. Trust that. Don't underestimate the power of that love for where he's at and how that will translate to living rooms. His energy and positivity will help us get through the scholarship limitations too. Positive all the way around.

The only question with that is that, while I can't confirm, I've heard that he and Kehoe had some kind of previous conflict.

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS

No coach in the nation knows South Florida better than Cristobal. Plus, his energy & toughness will be great add to UM
Expand

This, great hire IMO, love having Cristobol back with the Canes.

Yeah, plus let's not act like these assistants are in closed off rooms away from eachother and only know about their position. It's a team, and Mario has experience at the head coaching position so I am sure he brings a **** of a lot more than just recruiting and TE coaching.

Advertisement

The only question with that is that, while I can't confirm, I've heard that he and Kehoe had some kind of previous conflict.

I have no idea about that, but I'm confident Alshermond wouldn't fugg up the staff chemistry. He probably knows better than us if those guys can get along.

I have no idea about that, but I'm confident Alshermond wouldn't fugg up the staff chemistry. He probably knows better than us if those guys can get along.

Agreed. This is one area where I think we can blindly trust Al. If anything at all, he's a very good CEO.

Has Golden ever articulated how he views the difference between an Associate HC and Assistant HC's respective jobs?

Just a way to give a guy who was a HC a few weeks ago some status and respect on the staff and also justify paying him more than a typical TE corch would make.

Advertisement
Has Golden ever articulated how he views the difference between an Associate HC and Assistant HC's respective jobs?

Just a way to give a guy who was a HC a few weeks ago some status and respect on the staff and also justify paying him more than a typical TE corch would make.

That. It's just a title, no real power behind it. Whipple had the same title under Shannon, and Kehoe under Coker I believe.

That. It's just a title, no real power behind it. Whipple had the same title under Shannon, and Kehoe under Coker I believe.

Except Kehoe thought it made him head coach, lol..

Advertisement

I think it is safe to say he will be our highest paid position coach but will have additional responsibilities.

Love this move.

MC loves UM and I always hoped that if Golden was to ever leave, Cristobal would be our next CEO. This is a very pro-active move cause we finally have an assistant on staff that is a legit HC candidate.

As for BC, I don't see why he would leave the staff. First off, he's Fisch's boy (Fisch has ties with Papa Carroll) and this move is a promotion. Nobody gives a **** about the TE's coach and if BC wants to be known as anything more than just a recruiter, he needs a chance to coach either OL or WR. I believe BC will still be the recruiting co-ordinator. Plus, he should know first hand the talent he already has to work with @ UM.

I couldn't be happier about this news. Mario bleeds orange and green and I hope he stays for awhile.

Advertisement
Back