Cristobal extended by ducks

Soooooo... is @Go Canes!! saying that, comparatively speaking, Manny is doing better than Mario and that extending Mario right now is worse than extending Manny?

I might need to make a gif just to memorialize this.

Thats what you got from this conversation?

Advertisement
Sorry what happened to Mario just now is worse. Oregon State and Cal are the equivalent of Vanderbilt and FSU this year.

Mario has had 3 full seasons of his recruits and is fresh off of a trip to the Rose Bowl.

It doesn't suit everyone's narrative but you are correct.

Miami losing to Clemson and getting blasted by UNC, the former the team that is likely going to end up playing Bama for the title and the latter a team with one of the most explosive offenses in the country is not anywhere near as bad as losing 2-4 Oregon State and 1-3 Cal team. Oregon has 10x more talent than Oregon St and Cal combined. Clemson has far more talent than Miami, and it's arguable but I think UNC is more talented than Miami as well.

Diaz deserves all the criticism for not making the UNC game more competitive and the team quitting on him, but there is no need to exaggerate the Miami losses and claim that they are worse than a loaded Oregon team losing games to vastly inferior opponents.

Advertisement

All I said is Manny is not getting extended if in year three he has the equivalent start as Mario had, needing three fourth quarter TDs to beat a putrid Wazzou team then following it up with back to back losses to Cal and Oregon State, two teams that with combined rosters shouldn't beat Oregon.

Others said he will.

All I said is Manny is not getting extended if in year three he has the equivalent start as Mario had, needing three fourth quarter TDs to beat a putrid Wazzou team then following it up with back to back losses to Cal and Oregon State.

Others said he will.
I thought you said that extending Mario now, after 3 years of recruiting, and the 2 losses he had this year, is worse than extending Manny.

I went to the USC Oregon game last year and that's an understatement. Luckily they sell booze there because that game wasn't close.
Usc was using their 4th string qb last year if I remember correctly. I think people ain't too realistic with where we at as a program right now. If you think we'd match up good with usc offense after watching the most basic of offenses give us fits than I'm confused myself maybe. Because our secondary is *** and usc reciever and te play is where we should be aiming for. Oregon last year was **** good too. Y'all bear bryant clones seem to forget everything oregon lost when u decide to critique mario off this season. But whatever makes yall happy go with that.

Holy ****, I want the phone number of his agent. Guy can recruit but he can't coach his way out of a toilet stall with the door missing.

Advertisement
Those three schools signed 7 four star players, COMBINED, over the last three years. I also think all three no longer have the same HC they had three years ago.

Usc was using their 4th string qb last year if I remember correctly. I think people ain't too realistic with where we at as a program right now. If you think we'd match up good with usc offense after watching the most basic of offenses give us fits than I'm confused myself maybe. Because our secondary is *** and usc reciever and te play is where we should be aiming for. Oregon last year was **** good too. Y'all bear bryant clones seem to forget everything oregon lost when u decide to critique mario off this season. But whatever makes yall happy go with that.
He’s losing to the worst teams in the PAC 12. If he was here and doing that against ACC bottom dwellers, people would be screaming bloody murder. I can’t for the life of me understand why people continue to make so many excuses for him.

Soooooo... is @Go Canes!! saying that, comparatively speaking, Manny is doing better than Mario and that extending Mario right now is worse than extending Manny?

I might need to make a gif just to memorialize this.

Cristobal is doing what I call the "Larry Coker"- if he stockpiles enough talent, even a corch won't be able to ***** it up. If Mario continually gets top 6 classes, he will be in the Pac 12 title game every year and will be an annual playoff contender. He's certainly a corch, but he also has good player development. He'll never win a championship (neither Saban nor Dabo are likely to make corching mistakes), but the Ducks will be a playoff fixture again. That's a testament to his recruiting but also a function of how bad the Pac 12 is. The numbers show if you want to compete with Clemson, Ohio State, and Bama you need the blue chip ratio of 50% or greater AND at least 7 5 star players. Cristobal can get them there by year 3 (they currently have 4 5 stars, I expect he can add 3-4 more in the next couple of years). More importantly, I think it's clear that while Mario has a good staff around him, he isn't going to let loyalty get in the way of his job. A coach who has shown that he is a strong recruiter, good developer of players, AND adaptable is a rare commodity so I can understand that being deserving of an extension. There aren't a lot of coaches that are proven in all 3 areas.

Miami has the #10 class and that is wonderful given the record, including 2 5 stars (Oregon has zero in this class so far but got 3 last year) but I just don't see Miami being able to add 2-3 5 stars ever year. Recruiting is good, but there are huge misses at key positions. Even if Miami stockpiles talent, there is the issue of player development, and whether Diaz is going to be like his predecessors at Miami and allow loyalty to friends/family to destroy his career. We'll see what happens this offseason.

It's interesting how just one game changes the perception of everything. If Miami had beaten UNC and landed a NY6 game with the only loss being to Clemson, Diaz would be on the short list for coach of the year. Now his seat his red hot (and deservedly so).

Last edited:
Advertisement
4th highest paid corch in a crappy conference by a school that still has Nike money despite Phil Knight looking like he died at least 5 years ago is pretty much the summit for Ol' Luigi. Good for him. Good for us if he continues to never even sniff the Miami job.

All I said is Manny is not getting extended if in year three he has the equivalent start as Mario had, needing three fourth quarter TDs to beat a putrid Wazzou team then following it up with back to back losses to Cal and Oregon State, two teams that with combined rosters shouldn't beat Oregon.

Others said he will.
And what I said is if manny has the same equivalent season as what he had this season he will get extended... So if we win against all the **** and he loses to the teams that are even competitive he will get an extension. Cause we didnt beat a single good team this year in my eyes. Louisville was probably the closest to being competitive for me. I don't see any of that as better than anything mario is doing especially when u consider mario lost everyone (obviously it happens) and manny gained two perfect peices for what he was doing in lashlee and king... We all entitled to opinions though. I guess y'all forgot all the games king bailed us out of and what we were just last season.

He’s losing to the worst teams in the PAC 12. If he was here and doing that against ACC bottom dwellers, people would be screaming bloody murder. I can’t for the life of me understand why people continue to make so many excuses for him.
FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL, GEORGIA TECH, LOUISIANA TECH, DUKE.......
Good night

Advertisement
And what I said is if manny has the same equivalent season as what he had this season he will get extended... So if we win against all the **** and he loses to the teams that are even competitive he will get an extension. Cause we didnt beat a single good team this year in my eyes. Louisville was probably the closest to being competitive for me. I don't see any of that as better than anything mario is doing especially when u consider mario lost everyone (obviously it happens) and manny gained two perfect peices for what he was doing in lashlee and king... We all entitled to opinions though. I guess y'all forgot all the games king bailed us out of and what we were just last season.
And how many games did Herbert bail Mario out of last year? If you want to say Manny is a **** coach, that’s understandable. But Mario sucks, too. I don’t care how many players he lost. You should NEVER lose to the likes of Cal and Oregon State. It’s simply embarrassing, especially with the talent he has on that roster. Not only has he recruited well, but Taggert left him a talented team.

Oregon had 3 point loss to Oregon State after surrendering a 19 pt 4th qtr lead, and a 4 point loss to Cal. At no time were they bent over and violated in the manner UNC violated UM. For what it's worth, they are in the PAC-12 title game albeit covid-19 related because the Huskies can't field a team. Mario is a better coach than Manny hands down.
Oregon barely beat UCLA by 3 which UCLA messed up on and lost to the 2 worst teams in the PAC 12. Miami got there *** kicked by the 2 best teams in the ACC. Mario by far has the best talent in the Pac 12. Mario is a better recruiter than Manny, not a better coach. They are about the same when it comes to coaching. Keep loving Mario, he will fail real bad because he does not have a QB.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back