Cristobal and perception

Advertisement
Regardless, can you name one college head coach whom you would consider to be mediocre that was directly offered a NFL HC job? The NFL basically recycles HCs or picks highly regarded coordinators. When NFL teams dip into the college ranks for a HC, it is typically only because they think the coach is elite.

'Think' is the key word.

Kliff Kingsbury. To quote Rex Ryan, 'He had Pat Mahomes at Texas Tech, the best player and QB in the NFL, and won 5 games'. Scheme guy, Kingsbury.

But all Ryan jokes aside, most NFL owners are notoriosly bad at hiring coaches. This is why 6-8 or more are fired every season. NFL owners are all billionaires who can afford to HCs to go away (guaranteed contracts).

Just look at Tampa Bay:

Raheem Morris - 3 years​
Greg Schiano - 2 years​
Lovie Smith - 2 years​
Dirk Kottter - 3 years​

Advertisement
Why is USC better than Oregon right now? Just history? I don't really see it. Why leave a good thing for a potentially good thing. He can win a national championship at Oregon with the same path as USC.
USC will fire you long before Oregon. That matters to coaches. Oregon had more appearances in the playoffs than USC.

Advertisement
Statement from USC's AD:

"As I committed to upon my arrival at USC, during the past two off-seasons we provided every resource necessary for our football program to compete for championships," Bohn said in a statement announcing the dismissal. "The added resources carried significantly increased expectations for our team's performance, and it is already evident that, despite the enhancements, those expectations would not be met without a change in leadership."
Wish we had an AD that wrote like that..

Watch out for Urban Meyer and I'm not joking. He's gonna retire from the Jags.

Come Let Me Love You GIF

Refresh my memory but doesnt someone on the BOT have beef with Cristobal and thats why we didnt go after him?

Advertisement
I am a big fan of Jamey Chadwell. My only concern would be the staff. Would he bring his guys from CC, or only some key guys and hire the rest? I think a staff without any major college experience (sorry to CC fans) is a legitimate question. I also don't think it a deal breaker either. As you say, he has improved programs every step up the ladder.

You hear him speak, and you just think he gets it without putting on an act, like you did Golden or do with Manny.

Freeze would bring seasons of $EC experience, without being burned out like Richt. I don't think this guarantees success either. As far as his baggage, you'd have to speak to the man, get his perspective of then and now, and use your instincts to evaluate the risk.

And... as fellow Angeleno you'll appreciate this...the LA sports radio shows are full of callers saying USC should hire Mario away from Oregon. Because, you know, 'We Are SC'.

Asked my boy his thoughts on Mario; he said he has no problem w/ the hire, but they are monitoring the Urban Meyers story that came out today. Also said he would like for Cincy to finish their season before being sold on Fickell. Said he’s not sure if Cincy’s season was a Covid fluke or the real deal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back