Cristobal and perception

Why is USC better than Oregon right now? Just history? I don't really see it. Why leave a good thing for a potentially good thing. He can win a national championship at Oregon with the same path as USC.
USC and Miami have a very high ceiling, the problem is they also have a low floor. These teams can stack all time great teams. I dont see Oregon ever doing that. They have a lower ceiling but a higher floor.

Advertisement
Beating Taint in Colombus sounds fine to me

So if you heard this evening that Miami was firing Manny Diaz and paying a 10 million buyout to Rutgers for Greg Schiano, would you be excited? You would almost certainly get similar results with either Cristobal or Schiano (Cristobal first cut his teeth under Schiano btw). I think both are much better coaches than Diaz, yet weirdly people would say, "I don't think this guy is worth a 10 million buyout" for Schiano. One of those two was so highly thought of a few years back that he was offered a NFL HC gig. Flop or not, NFL HC gigs are jobs usually only offered to top tier college head coaches.

Feldman is going to link Cristobal to any and every major job that comes open between now and eternity. It's going to be Fickell (Cincy's AD is now at USC) unless they can somehow pull off Urban, Franklin or convince Chris Peterson to come out of retirement

Who are these fictitious people? I want names.

Some people slagged Mario, and those same people trashed Manny. There was no Manny > Mario crowd.
Go find the coach thread from after richt retired. We talked about all candidates. Tons of people wanted manny over mario.

Im also referring to our athletic director chasing manny and thinking he was some great hire instead of actually interviewing real coaches. There was alot of noise that some members of the bot wanted mario. Instead we get diaz.

The headlines about Meyer and the Jags opening season loss are laughable. One site labeled the loss 'catastrophic'.

Jesus H Christ

Advertisement
Feldman is going to link Cristobal to any and every major job that comes open between now and eternity. It's going to be Fickell (Cincy's AD is now at USC) unless they can somehow pull off Urban, Franklin or convince Chris Peterson to come out of retirement
Franklin was an inept Wisky game 1 from being on the hot seat in happy valley.

lol at Mario coming to Miami. That ship has sailed.

Ship hasn't sailed as there's nowhere else he and his Miami-born wife would rather be than back at his hometown program, where he won two national titles.

UM simply won't get a deal done, because they're a clownshow who will ride with Manny for another two years and then will settle on some other second-rate option.

Advertisement
I think it’s going to Luke fickell or James Franklin and I wonder if Chris Peterson would get a call and come out of retirement.

So if you heard this evening that Miami was firing Manny Diaz and paying a 10 million buyout to Rutgers for Greg Schiano, would you be excited? You would almost certainly get similar results with either Cristobal or Schiano (Cristobal first cut his teeth under Schiano btw). I think both are much better coaches than Diaz, yet weirdly people would say, "I don't think this guy is worth a 10 million buyout" for Schiano. One of those two was so highly thought of a few years back that he was offered a NFL HC gig. Flop or not, NFL HC gigs are jobs usually only offered to top tier college head coaches.

Thats Tampa Bay's fault. Were there other NFL offers? Offer's to move from Rutgers to one of blueblood schools?

That said, Schiano would be a improvement over Manny.

This seems more likely if Fickell wants to leave.....

Agree. Much easier and more cost-effective than trying to pull Mario out of Eugene.

Either way, props to USC for pulling the trigger on a 1-1 coach halfway through September. Strong message to other coaches out there that the Trojans want a legit guy for 2022.

Thats Tampa Bay's fault. Were there other NFL offers? Offer's to move from Rutgers to one of blueblood schools?

That said, Schiano would be a improvement over Manny.

Regardless, can you name one college head coach whom you would consider to be mediocre that was directly offered a NFL HC job? The NFL basically recycles HCs or picks highly regarded coordinators. When NFL teams dip into the college ranks for a HC, it is typically only because they think the coach is elite.

Advertisement
Go find the coach thread from after richt retired. We talked about all candidates. Tons of people wanted manny over mario.

Im also referring to our athletic director chasing manny and thinking he was some great hire instead of actually interviewing real coaches. There was alot of noise that some members of the bot wanted mario. Instead we get diaz.

I asked you to provide the proof, which you clearly can't do. And you said "people" wanted Manny over Mario, not Beta Blake. I think we can safely agree that Beta Blake's actions definitively prove that he wanted Manny over Mario, so there is nothing to discuss there.

For years, I've watched posters rip BOTH Manny and Mario for, essentially, the same reasons. Prior coaching connections to non-championship Miami teams, and not enough Power Five head-coaching experience. There is no contingent of porsters who have ever argued that Manny is a superior head coaching candidate to Mario. They may have said that he was more LIKELY to be offered, or accept, the head coaching job, but I have never seen anyone make a qualitative comparison between the two and then conclude that Manny was the better choice.

Go back and read what you wrote, you made it sound like a majority, or a significant minority, of posters actively favored Manny over Mario, when Mario was not even a real candidate for the job in 2019 (he had only been at Oregon for just over a year, and there were absolutely no indications that Mario was considering leaving Oregon).

I asked for names, you can't produce any.

I would take both yes. Either of them would stablize us. NFL is a different thing. Saban tucked tail and ran when he couldn't boss around grown men with more money than him. We would not be laughing stocks everytime we step on the field against anything decent. I trust that they would hire better coaches than any of our last 4 coaches

I don’t see anyone out there outside of Urban that can compete with Saban at USC.

Advertisement
You had me at firing Manny Diaz.

I asked you to provide the proof, which you clearly can't do. And you said "people" wanted Manny over Mario, not Beta Blake. I think we can safely agree that Beta Blake's actions definitively prove that he wanted Manny over Mario, so there is nothing to discuss there.

For years, I've watched posters rip BOTH Manny and Mario for, essentially, the same reasons. Prior coaching connections to non-championship Miami teams, and not enough Power Five head-coaching experience. There is no contingent of porsters who have ever argued that Manny is a superior head coaching candidate to Mario. They may have said that he was more LIKELY to be offered, or accept, the head coaching job, but I have never seen anyone make a qualitative comparison between the two and then conclude that Manny was the better choice.

Go back and read what you wrote, you made it sound like a majority, or a significant minority, of posters actively favored Manny over Mario, when Mario was not even a real candidate for the job in 2019 (he had only been at Oregon for just over a year, and there were absolutely no indications that Mario was considering leaving Oregon).

I asked for names, you can't produce any.
Lol youre a funny dude.

Go read the thread if you want names. You think there weren't fans that wanted manny over mario when the 2 were being discussed?

Youre crazy man! I like you but youre crazy!

Stop comparing Mario’s resume to Schiano. It’s ridiculous. Besides, after the PSU stuff, Miami wouldn’t touch Schiano.

Advertisement
Back