Crispian

Ok, I'm just gonna say it. Am I the only one who assumed he was a white guy?

Yes...

I was thinking so Croatian transfer from B ball team myself. Let's hope he turns out to be like my favorite walk-on -- Albert Bentley.

Bentley should be in the Walk-on HOF. Don't expect Bentley-like production from Atkins. Just hope he's a capable backup if we need him to play. Bentley was truly unusual. I think he had 1000 yards rushing in both USFL and NFL, if I remember correctly (and I might not). Bentley was as good as any RB we had on that 1983 NC team.

It tool Eric ****erson to get him off the field with the Colts, if I remember correctly. Even then, they won more with him. You are the holder of old info, didn't he ride a bike to school?

Advertisement

There used to be a segregated Crispus Attucks HS in Broward. In 1964, they had a great RB, Cyril Pinder, who many thought would be UM's first black player. Miami didn't recruit him, he went to Illinois.

Okay, Matador, I got to lay the golden fiddle at your feet. That is way more old fart knowledge about SoFL and the Canes than I have. You're the man.

There are others around with more knowledge. There was one guy who I think hung out on Grassy's board about a decade ago who was a fanatic collector of anything and everything having to do with Dade HS football. I exchanged emails with him about ten years ago. Forgot his name.

There was also MiamiJoeCanesExpert--might be the same guy as Miami Joe here?--who used to pose trivia Canes questions on Grassy. He could beat me on the minutae, but I recall a lot of the broader sweep fo Hurricane history up until about 1970. I lost track of UM from about 1970-80. First started to catch them on national TV around '80-81 when we started to get good again under Howard. The '70's were my lost decade.

I recall a good bit about the '60's and a littlle bit about the late '50's, namely Fran Curci-Eddie Johns era. Remember Don Bosseler, my first big football hero. A stud in '56 and first round draft choice of the Redskins in '57. In Florida, the Redskins were on almost every weekend since they had regional telecasts of NFL games and the Redskins were essentially the South's team. There were no other teams farther south than Washington, DC. For many years, the Redskins were the team for everybody in the Carolinas. (You'd also be surprised that there used to be a Dolphins following of some sorts in Baltimore, mainly because so many Baltimoreans loved Shula from his days with the Colts. I as surprised at the number of Dolphins fans in old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore when I went to Colts-Dolphins games in the early '80's.)

I was a Colt fan but from down here. I was in the OB for Super Bowl III. Actually spit on Joe Willie as he when into the tunnel. Later, when he was on the sideline with our Canes for that first NC, I got a chance to apologize -- he didn't remember so i guess I didn't hit his face. Always loved Shula. Use to go to daily morning Mass with him a lot when they practiced at Biscayne College.

My favorite Curci story was the one about him telling gator boosters that Miami would win the NC before uf won the SEC. He turned out to be right.

Advertisement
Back