Crispian

The name Crispian is a medieval variant of Crispin.

The name has been around for thousands of years, the original Roman version was Crispinus.

Crispin and Crispinian were martyred saints (brothers) from the third century.

They have their own holiday, St. Crispin’s day, Ocober 25th.

The mother of all pre-battle pep talks, Henry V at the battle of Agincourt, 1416, was memorialized as the St. Crispin’s day speech, in a Shakespeare play (that’s William Shakespeare not Stanley Shakespeare) which popularized the phrase “Band of Brothers”.

Get some cotdam culture you motherfūckers.

How many of those were black?

Advertisement

The name has been around for thousands of years, the original Roman version was Crispinus.

The mother of all pre-battle pep talks, Henry V at the battle of Agincourt, 1416, was memorialized as the St. Crispin’s day speech, in a Shakespeare play (that’s William Shakespeare not Stanley Shakespeare) which popularized the phrase “Band of Brothers”.

Is this a serious question?

The great basketball player, Oscar Robertson, played at Crispus Attucks in Indianapolis, then at University of Cincinnati, then the Cincinnati Royals before finishing his career with the Milwaukee Bucks.

Advertisement

OCC - I'm impressed.

Agincourt is one of my favorite battles.

Not if you were French, it isn’t.

Is that the one where the French nights thought it was a good idea to dismount and fight on foot?

Advertisement

There used to be a segregated Crispus Attucks HS in Broward. In 1964, they had a great RB, Cyril Pinder, who many thought would be UM's first black player. Miami didn't recruit him, he went to Illinois.

Okay, Matador, I got to lay the golden fiddle at your feet. That is way more old fart knowledge about SoFL and the Canes than I have. You're the man.

Local kid. Will catch the ball and breaks arm tackles. Is the NFL in his future, no. But, he has apparently impressed the staff with his work. I hope he creates a Rudy-like moment.

Is this a serious question?

So all of them?

OCC - I'm impressed.

Agincourt is one of my favorite battles.

Not if you were French, it isn’t.

Is that the one where the French nights thought it was a good idea to dismount and fight on foot?

Horses and men converged thickly and got caught in the mud - and once they fell, that was it. It was a slaughter.

Advertisement

There used to be a segregated Crispus Attucks HS in Broward. In 1964, they had a great RB, Cyril Pinder, who many thought would be UM's first black player. Miami didn't recruit him, he went to Illinois.

Is that what started the Genron grudge against Miami?

There were at least two black ballplayers who in the early to mid-60's were the subject of a great deal of speculation as to whether they would break the color barrier at UM. The first was a star QB at Archbishop Curley, Carroll Williams. Curley was more of a power back then. Williams ended up going to Xavier, not a big school. Later, in '64, Attucks HS in Hollywood had the star RB Cyril Pinder. The story I read was that Attucks didn't have much money to film games and the only game they filmed was the only game in which he was held in check. As a result, so the story went, UM didn't have anything better on which to evaluate him. If they really were interested, you'd think they would have gone to a number of his games. Anyway, Pinder ended up at Illinois, where he was caught up in a "slush fund" scandal, which was a big deal back in the '60's. I think Pinder later became a businessman in Chicago. Incidentally, I think Pete Elliot, the Illinois coach, was also involved in the scandal.. He ended up one of a number of unsuccessful UM coaches in the '70's.

I suspect UM was not really ready in 1965 to sign a black ballplayer. They did so when they signed Ray Bellamy in 1967. Ray really only played one season, in 1968, before he was injured in a car accident. He never fully recovered from his leg injury in that accident. He was almost killed.

The talk was that when UM signed a black ballplayer they wanted to make sure he was someone who would definitely start, not sit on the bench. The administration or athletic dept. or coaching staff (or all three) felt that the player who broke the color barrier would not have the added pressure of not being a good player, I guess.

My recollection is that Bellamy did get some abusive and threatening letters and so forth. Don't forget, this was half a century ago, although it seems almost like yesterday to me now.

I doubt that Genron was even born. It seems I figured out who Genron is on one of the online directories (Jon Drummond) and I'm not sure he's even forty yet. If he's that, he's certainly not old enough to remember anything from the mid-60's. Much to Miami's credit, I think we were the first major college in the south to integrate its football team, or maybe the first major independent, or whatever. I think we were the first major southern school to play an integrated team from elsewhere in the country. I can't remember all the details. You should check some of the books by Jim Martz, who used to write for the Herald. I don't know what he is doing now, for a while he was writing for Gery Ferman's site. Check Amazon for Jim's books on UM football. They were very good and required reading for the serious Hurricane fan. And good reading for all the rest who are the bulk of the posters on this board. (OK, just joking).

Okay, Matador, I got to lay the golden fiddle at your feet. That is way more old fart knowledge about SoFL and the Canes than I have. You're the man.

There are others around with more knowledge. There was one guy who I think hung out on Grassy's board about a decade ago who was a fanatic collector of anything and everything having to do with Dade HS football. I exchanged emails with him about ten years ago. Forgot his name.

There was also MiamiJoeCanesExpert--might be the same guy as Miami Joe here?--who used to pose trivia Canes questions on Grassy. He could beat me on the minutae, but I recall a lot of the broader sweep fo Hurricane history up until about 1970. I lost track of UM from about 1970-80. First started to catch them on national TV around '80-81 when we started to get good again under Howard. The '70's were my lost decade.

I recall a good bit about the '60's and a littlle bit about the late '50's, namely Fran Curci-Eddie Johns era. Remember Don Bosseler, my first big football hero. A stud in '56 and first round draft choice of the Redskins in '57. In Florida, the Redskins were on almost every weekend since they had regional telecasts of NFL games and the Redskins were essentially the South's team. There were no other teams farther south than Washington, DC. For many years, the Redskins were the team for everybody in the Carolinas. (You'd also be surprised that there used to be a Dolphins following of some sorts in Baltimore, mainly because so many Baltimoreans loved Shula from his days with the Colts. I as surprised at the number of Dolphins fans in old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore when I went to Colts-Dolphins games in the early '80's.)

Ok, I'm just gonna say it. Am I the only one who assumed he was a white guy?

Yes...

I was thinking so Croatian transfer from B ball team myself. Let's hope he turns out to be like my favorite walk-on -- Albert Bentley.

Bentley should be in the Walk-on HOF. Don't expect Bentley-like production from Atkins. Just hope he's a capable backup if we need him to play. Bentley was truly unusual. I think he had 1000 yards rushing in both USFL and NFL, if I remember correctly (and I might not). Bentley was as good as any RB we had on that 1983 NC team.

Advertisement
Ok, I'm just gonna say it. Am I the only one who assumed he was a white guy?

Yes...

I was thinking so Croatian transfer from B ball team myself. Let's hope he turns out to be like my favorite walk-on -- Albert Bentley.

Bentley!! Now THAT was a back. Great runner. Mainly, though, has ANY Cane ever blocked better at that position. None come to my mind.

He was first class for sure. I can't think of any from the old halfback position. Maybe some fullback might have been.

Advertisement
Back