Off-Topic Crime 2.0

Advertisement
Still can’t believe no one slapped her
It's almost like it was staged... or maybe people just like to video everything these days and don't care how offensive it was. Either way, she lucked out she was in that particular car, cause you are correct in that most of the time she probably would have got cold ****ed

Advertisement
Still can’t believe no one slapped her

Because the people that were there were smart and weren’t playing her game. Good for them. Except for that wimpy white guy that thought he was going to be a hero. Anybody that’s lived in the big city will tell you, you give crazy a wide berth.

Also, good point about it being staged. There’s just something weird about the whole thing. But that’s just the feeling I have, not based on anything concrete.

Because the people that were there were smart and weren’t playing her game. Good for them. Except for that wimpy white guy that thought he was going to be a hero. Anybody that’s lived in the big city will tell you, you give crazy a wide berth.

Also, good point about it being staged. There’s just something weird about the whole thing. But that’s just the feeling I have, not based on anything concrete.
Like when the protester at the the Florida capital walked up to the police officer using the megaphone and she stuck her head in it? Dude had great awareness of what she was trying to do that day.

Anyone old enough to recall the Subway Vigilante, Bernhard Goetz? Shot four Black youths on the 2 Train in Manhattan back in 1984. Thought they were gonna mug him. One guy was left a paraplegic and later got a $40M judgement against the vigilante. Goetz served a year or so in jail I think.

Last I heard of Goetz he was a self-described Covid Denier, arrested for not adhering to NYC quarantine reqs at the height of the pandemic.

Then, there's alwways the Charles Bronson Death Wish movies. I'm sure some remakes are on the way, given this recent spate of subway crime.
I vaguely remember seeing a video about it. Were they going to rob him? What's your take? Wasn't he previously victimized on the subway?

Advertisement
I vaguely remember seeing a video about it. Were they going to rob him? What's your take? Wasn't he previously victimized on the subway?

Better summary than I could write. from Wiki:

On December 22, 1984, Bernhard Goetz shot four young men on a NYC subway train after they allegedly tried to rob him. He surrendered to police nine days later and was charged with attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment, and several firearms offenses. Initially Goetz was viewed by most as a victim and by some as a vigilante, and he received widespread public recognition and support.

A Grand Jury refused to indict Goetz on the more serious charges, voting indictments only for criminal gun possession. However, public opinion about Goetz wavered due to statements and alleged damaging details of the incident that later were released by the prosecution. Goetz was then re-indicted on more serious charges. At a later jury trial he was found guilty of one count of carrying an unlicensed firearm, for which he served eight months of a one-year sentence.

The incident sparked a nationwide debate on crime in US cities and the legal limits of self-defense ( based on one perp being shot twice). Goetz, dubbed the "Subway Vigilante" by the NY press, came to symbolize New Yorkers' frustrations with the high crime rates of the 80s.
-------------------------------------
So, as you see, this high crime stuff is nothing new. From my many subway rides over the years, there were always homeless/winos sleeping it off while stretched across subway seats, snatch and grabs of womens' purses, and, yes, even pushing unsuspecting folks onto the tracks.

Better summary than I could write. from Wiki:

On December 22, 1984, Bernhard Goetz shot four young men on a NYC subway train after they allegedly tried to rob him. He surrendered to police nine days later and was charged with attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment, and several firearms offenses. Initially Goetz was viewed by most as a victim and by some as a vigilante, and he received widespread public recognition and support.

A Grand Jury refused to indict Goetz on the more serious charges, voting indictments only for criminal gun possession. However, public opinion about Goetz wavered due to statements and alleged damaging details of the incident that later were released by the prosecution. Goetz was then re-indicted on more serious charges. At a later jury trial he was found guilty of one count of carrying an unlicensed firearm, for which he served eight months of a one-year sentence.

The incident sparked a nationwide debate on crime in US cities and the legal limits of self-defense ( based on one perp being shot twice). Goetz, dubbed the "Subway Vigilante" by the NY press, came to symbolize New Yorkers' frustrations with the high crime rates of the 80s.
-------------------------------------
So, as you see, this high crime stuff is nothing new. From my many subway rides over the years, there were always homeless/winos sleeping it off while stretched across subway seats, snatch and grabs of womens' purses, and, yes, even pushing unsuspecting folks onto the tracks.
Thats right I remember now... he shot 4 men attempting to rob him:

Then, in January 1981, he was attacked by three teenagers at a subway station. He was lucky to escape with just a knee injury, but two of the three assailants managed to escape. The other spent just a few hours at a police station. Goetz was furious and, before the year was out, he applied for a gun permit.
On December 22, 1984, Goetz entered an empty Manhattan train, carrying an unlicensed .38 caliber revolver. Also on the car were four teenagers: Troy Canty, Barry Allen, Darrell Cabey and James Ramseur. As witness testimony later stated, Goetz had barely taken his seat when the young men approached Goetz for $5. When Goetz refused, Canty responded, "Give me your money."

"carrying an unlicensed .38 caliber revolver." was his only crime.

Thats right I remember now... he shot 4 men attempting to rob him:

Then, in January 1981, he was attacked by three teenagers at a subway station. He was lucky to escape with just a knee injury, but two of the three assailants managed to escape. The other spent just a few hours at a police station. Goetz was furious and, before the year was out, he applied for a gun permit.
On December 22, 1984, Goetz entered an empty Manhattan train, carrying an unlicensed .38 caliber revolver. Also on the car were four teenagers: Troy Canty, Barry Allen, Darrell Cabey and James Ramseur. As witness testimony later stated, Goetz had barely taken his seat when the young men approached Goetz for $5. When Goetz refused, Canty responded, "Give me your money."

"carrying an unlicensed .38 caliber revolver." was his only crime.
Yeah,, public sympathy was with him at first, whether he was considered a victim of robbery, or a vigilante protecting himself and others.

What made the DA seek that second indictment was that it came out Goetz fired a second slug into one of his attackers, after the guy was lying on the subway car floor, paralyzed.

I wonder if each of the four wanted $5 from him, or if it was $5 total. Nasty incident that ruined the lives of all involved, including Goetz. Most of all, Darrell Cabey, who I think is still alive today, paralyzed and brain damaged.

Goetz declared bankruptcy in the 90s to escape that $40M judgment against him.

Advertisement
Yeah,, public sympathy was with him at first, whether he was considered a victim of robbery, or a vigilante protecting himself and others.

What made the DA seek that second indictment was that it came out Goetz fired a second slug into one of his attackers, after the guy was lying on the subway car floor, paralyzed.

I wonder if each of the four wanted $5 from him, or if it was $5 total. Nasty incident that ruined the lives of all involved, including Goetz. Most of all, Darrell Cabey, who I think is still alive today, paralyzed and brain damaged.

Goetz declared bankruptcy in the 90s to escape that $40M judgment against him.
I don't have a problem with him in this case. When 4 men are attempting robbery, or worse - you do what you have to do. When a criminal decides to threaten physical harm in the commission of a crime, a threshold has been crossed...

I don't have a problem with him in this case. When 4 men are attempting robbery, or worse - you do what you have to do. When a criminal decides to threaten physical harm in the commission of a crime, a threshold has been crossed...
Don't disagree with you. I sympathized with Goetz back when this happened.

You touch on two of the key issues in Goetz's trial. The ages of the robbers (think they were all teens, not "men"). Just how threatened was Goetz? Don't think the four had any weapons on them (to me, 4 against 1, you don't need weapons to be threatened was my view).

Don't disagree with you. I sympathized with Goetz back when this happened.

You touch on two of the key issues in Goetz's trial. The ages of the robbers (think they were all teens, not "men"). Just how threatened was Goetz? Don't think the four had any weapons on them (to me, 4 against 1, you don't need weapons to be threatened was my view).
Agreed. The old adage 'better to be judged by six...' applies here.

Advertisement
Jury reached a verdict on whether the SUV is guilty or not in Waukesha. Guess it will be read soon, live streaming in this link...

Advertisement
Back